PDA

View Full Version : Trailers.............a hard decision!!!!!

ROBENDOG
27-07-2009, 10:04 PM
Well my boat trailer is stuffed!!!!! Been a while coming , but have decided she needs repair or replacement.

Now what...............buy or repair????

I have a 6m plate cuddy with 200hp on the back.

How much does she weigh??????? I have learnt this is crucial in my decision.

Repair

Get onto a bloke to come out and do a quote. Nice bloke and knows what he is doing (I sure as hell do not). The trailer I currently have is heavy duty (other than the rust issue). I am told about 750kg. Solid bloody thing.

Old mate gets back......$7000 (wow!!!! A lot of coin, but seems reasonable for what he has proposed). Full rebuild, all hot dip galvinsied, new guards, lights, springs, etc. End job will be, a bloody solid galvinsied trailer. (cable brakes).

A well meaning mate says........bit bloody expensive, you could buy one cheaper brand new!!!!

Mmmmmmmm

Buy new

Do the ring around.

Redo Duniber, or Swiftco trailer about $5000. Are they any good???

The dilemma

My prefernce is for the rebuild. I might be a bit 'old school' but seems to me the more solid trailer = safety/reliability/durability. I am looking long term. Dont mind paying a bit more for a solid reliable trailer.

This is where weight becomes an issue..........

More solid trailer = more weight = requirement for much more expensive braking system = out of budget = no fishing for a while.

Maybe the less solid trailer will bring her under weigh?? (750kg v 420kg).

Is the lighter trailer as safe/reliable/durable???

S*$t loads to consider when buying a trailer; and for the novice very perplexing.

I know.....heaps of previous threads on trailers.......have read a lot of them and each one raised a knew consideration. Heaps of information and I thank all who have gone before me!!!!

Anyway I will pass her over the scales tomorrow and see if that helps in the decision making process. If anyone is following I will post results.

I welcome comments or opinions.

Ben

Pelagic 660
27-07-2009, 10:13 PM
Ben, I went through a similar thing with my trailer a while ago and decided to go to a trailer mob and have it built the way I wanted. Got 6x2 chassis, duel IRS with hydrolic disk brakes...the whole thing set me back about 10k...super solid and built to last. Total weight came in at 580kg....QT scales. The old trailer (sea link M21) weighed about 420kg. If I were to change 1 thing I would have gone full skid rather than full multi...probably lose a bit of weight too.....mmmm new project..maybe. cheers Trevor

thelump
28-07-2009, 07:32 AM
No brainer for mine. Buy the new one. All the trailers you mentioned are good and you can go and see what you are paying for. The other way is the great unknown:-/
Just my opinion.

Noelm
28-07-2009, 08:26 AM
I have also just been down the "fix it" road, I reckon get a custom one made new, built to suit the boat, full cradle setup, it will be far better in the long run, while all the better brands of "off the shelf" ones are fine and plenty strong enough, they are built to be universal, that means they fit nothing exactly, but everything sort of! a full cradle with skids (no rollers) will make launch and retrieve a cinch, in the strongest winds and side current, maintenance will be low, just suspension/brakes, and I would even look at the difference in price for the stainless and bronze brakes (Baines I think) I rebuilt my trailer, and it took weekends of grinding and cutting and stuffing around, I could have built a complete new one in probably 2 weekends, so time saved would have been worth it alone, I know you are getting someone to do the work, but remember the old addage "time is money"

tunaticer
28-07-2009, 07:41 PM
If you are serious about the longevity of your trailer, look into open form chassis trailers made from channel section or I beams. Lots easier to wash down and you will not have any closed sections that can hide rust forming. You also get a much better hot dip coating on the heaver sections. It would be worth your while to ask the same trailer builders if they offer a open section trailer as well as they are often not promoted as much.

stinky-stabi
28-07-2009, 07:42 PM
go a belco or one of the the many generic brands and put the other 2grand on something for the missus so then you will get lots of fishing time(browny points),, as the trailer will last you years if you look after it....????

Dantren
28-07-2009, 07:52 PM
No brainer.

Try & flog your existing trailer for $500(scrap metal yards might give you $$$)
Then buy a new custom job.
Not much maintenance on skids!!!!!!!
There are some cool c-channel ones getting around. pm or search skipalong

bigjimg
28-07-2009, 09:12 PM
FMS trailers will custom build you one the way you want.As others have said sell your old one for whatever you can get and put towards the new oneJim

whiteman
29-07-2009, 01:29 PM
Why do they build trailers with these really small drain holes? Talk about rust attracters!

gofishin
29-07-2009, 02:11 PM
Ben,
You may find that your w/bridge cert will force your hand. An extra H/D trailer is all fine but obviously adds to your BMT weight. I have a suspicion that the extra 300kg in your trailer will push you over the 2t ATM and into the break-away breaks category, even though it's an alloy boat.
cheers
PS. is it box section? if so you can't see the rust inside! if it's in poor condition on the outside, what is it like on the inside?

chris m
29-07-2009, 08:30 PM
Ben, I have just had a FMS trailer built for my new 6.4mtr Plate, as Jim stated they will custom build for your needs. I had mine built with hydraulic breaks on one axle with mounts on 2nd axle, I had mine regd at 2000kg but if I need to I can just add onto my trailer at a later time to regd to 3000kg. This trailer cost me $6000. I know that if you got a production trailer 2000kg it would be slightly cheaper but you would get a heavy duty trailer with FMS with the option to upgrade later if needed. I believe they also restore old trailers.
Chris

White Pointer
29-07-2009, 09:50 PM
G'day,

My vote is for new as well - but it's not my money.

I doubt you can get BMT with full fuel and all the crap we carry under 2-tonne unless the trailer is a light-weight and that doesn't work, does it?

My vote for brands would be Dunbier or Mackay (build up to a specification, not down to a weight) or a custom build by Swiftco, FMS or Belco.

Regards,

White Pointer

ROBENDOG
30-07-2009, 12:42 AM
Thanks all for the advice and comments.

The weigh in was a pleasant surprise - 1.82T.

That was with 1/3 tank (150litre tank) fuel and fishing gear (no eskies, etc).

With a lighter trailer I will have a decent buffer for extra fuel and kit.

With a littel help from some mates I have tracked down a REDCO skid trailer that comes in at 540kg (about 200kg lighter than my current trailer).

Rebuild would have been extra $$$$ and extra weight I did not need. Plus there is the warranty with the new trailer. In the end an easy decision.

Advice for others in a similar pickle down the track reading back through threads...........

Take your time and do some research.

Actually weigh your rig.

If in doubt post a thread. AUSFISH will come to the rescue with all sorts of options.

Thanks again guys.:D

Ben

backlash08
30-07-2009, 06:05 AM
I have a C section swiftco, full skids,
its not very old but I'm happy with it

I would be buying a newie

regards

Craig

insideout
30-07-2009, 07:25 AM
I have a mate that imports trailers from china ( most are from china, just put togeather here and called aussie made....) and he has some real savings for people. They are just as strong as the well known brands,( they are some of the well known brands rebadged) and have warranty too. Pm me if u want to know more..

captain rednut
30-07-2009, 08:49 PM
hey bennie good to hear a new trailers on the go! i hope it meets your expectations they are a lot of money but peace of mind.
cheers jim

tin can marlin
30-07-2009, 08:55 PM
hey bennie good to hear a new trailers on the go! i hope it meets your expectations they are a lot of money but peace of mind.
cheers jim
Could not agree more Captain you are dead right they do cost a bucket of money.

ROBENDOG
31-07-2009, 12:28 AM
Thanks Jim

Looking forward to getting it, setting her up, and giving those Tabs a good workout. Be nice to give my rods a bit of a workout too:D :D :D .

Thanks for all your advice.
Ben

WetJakes
04-04-2010, 09:24 PM
I have a mate that imports trailers from china ( most are from china, just put togeather here and called aussie made....) and he has some real savings for people. They are just as strong as the well known brands,( they are some of the well known brands rebadged) and have warranty too. Pm me if u want to know more..

I am one of the newbies. Just got a 6m allie boat with a 50hp Yamaha on the back, trailor is in bad state. Is your friend still in the trailor buisness and dealing in WA.

dnej
05-04-2010, 11:28 AM
Have you thought about an aluminium built one.?
David

Daisy Burnett
05-04-2010, 02:33 PM
I am one of the newbies. Just got a 6m allie boat with a 50hp Yamaha on the back, trailor is in bad state. Is your friend still in the trailor buisness and dealing in WA.

WetJakes
I hope you meant a 150 Yami on the back????? If not the poor little 50 is going to drop dead from overwork.;D

Cheers
Daisy

Jarrah Jack
05-04-2010, 02:42 PM
Portsea marine have a 19 to 21ft US Alloy trailer for 6k.

Fatenhappy
05-04-2010, 04:42 PM
Originally had an FMS skid version under a 6.5m platey that came in very close to the 2000kg legal limit all up, for the set up. Eventually had the skids changed for rollers but it was never "right". Not really overly impressed. :(

Eventually changed boats and went with a Dunbier with sensa brakes which was absolute gold to tow and a dream to load ... ;D

All your choice, but this was just my experience ...

Bottom line is IMO if you're going to get a trailer made, get it tailor made to your requirements !!8-)

White Pointer
05-04-2010, 09:00 PM
G'day,

Congratulations on the purchase. It's shiny, probably has a warranty and cost you heaps less than you might have spent.

Just a couple of post-scripts to this thread.

I understand that SWIFTCO Trailers is in Administration and unlikely to resume trading. That is a great shame.

A trailer coming out of China that "just has to be put together here" is an odd beast. Any mug with a couple of hours instruction can cut trailer sections in mild steel and stuff a container. It takes a reasonable welder to put it together in a jig with weld integrity and relief holes to prevent buckling and blow-up in the galvanising tank.

After that it's just assembly with prime quality components that have to last. What else should we expect?

I think that, on the whole, local trailers are pretty cheap and the quality is pretty good. Unless you are buying one because your's has failed, most of the time it's the last consideration in a purchase and just the add on $ that get you on your way.

I think the quality could be improved by going to 450MPA steel in channel section. It's far more rigid. This would require better welding but it would deform much less in the galvanising tank. Using a thinner wall 450MPA would leave weight about the same compared to a 250MPA. That thinner wall may mean no extra cost per tonne of steel - therefore same price but better.

Regards,

White Pointer

balls_deep
12-04-2010, 09:31 AM
Well my boat trailer is stuffed!!!!! Been a while coming , but have decided she needs repair or replacement.

Now what...............buy or repair????

I have a 6m plate cuddy with 200hp on the back.

How much does she weigh??????? I have learnt this is crucial in my decision.

Repair

Get onto a bloke to come out and do a quote. Nice bloke and knows what he is doing (I sure as hell do not). The trailer I currently have is heavy duty (other than the rust issue). I am told about 750kg. Solid bloody thing.

Old mate gets back......$7000 (wow!!!! A lot of coin, but seems reasonable for what he has proposed). Full rebuild, all hot dip galvinsied, new guards, lights, springs, etc. End job will be, a bloody solid galvinsied trailer. (cable brakes).

A well meaning mate says........bit bloody expensive, you could buy one cheaper brand new!!!!

Mmmmmmmm

Buy new

Do the ring around.

Redo Duniber, or Swiftco trailer about $5000. Are they any good???

The dilemma

My prefernce is for the rebuild. I might be a bit 'old school' but seems to me the more solid trailer = safety/reliability/durability. I am looking long term. Dont mind paying a bit more for a solid reliable trailer.

This is where weight becomes an issue..........

More solid trailer = more weight = requirement for much more expensive braking system = out of budget = no fishing for a while.

Maybe the less solid trailer will bring her under weigh?? (750kg v 420kg).

Is the lighter trailer as safe/reliable/durable???

S*$t loads to consider when buying a trailer; and for the novice very perplexing.

I know.....heaps of previous threads on trailers.......have read a lot of them and each one raised a knew consideration. Heaps of information and I thank all who have gone before me!!!!

Anyway I will pass her over the scales tomorrow and see if that helps in the decision making process. If anyone is following I will post results.

I welcome comments or opinions.

Ben

Hi mate,

I know a fellow with an all aluminium trailers he is just about to hit the market with it is the only all aluminium trailer on the market axles and all PM me and I'll give you his number