PDA

View Full Version : What glue/ sealer ???

Roughasguts
27-07-2009, 05:16 PM
Hi Guy's I'm trying to glue and seal some Clear plastic hose 25mm x 100mm long to a flexible washing machine type waste hose.

These waste hoses are cut to 2 mtr lenghts to fit in a storage compartment for the caravan waste outlet,, or Boat!!! (I hated the long coil) Anyway I got the rubber seal and friction removable side worked out!! but the sealer (silastic) don't hold the clear plastic hose in place on the fixed side very well.

My question is what sealer glue has the guts to hold the clear plastic on the crappy plastic waste hose.

I am thinking the blue plumbers stuff for down pipe ?????

Cheers.

Leighton
27-07-2009, 05:20 PM
Plumbers glue is called Solvent Cement.
If you do choose to use it there is another product called PVC Primer. Its the pink stuff you often see also available in clear.
Primer takes the shine off PVC giving the Solvent a better bond

Roughasguts
27-07-2009, 05:29 PM
Plumbers glue is called Solvent Cement.
If you do choose to use it there is another product called PVC Primer. Its the pink stuff you often see also available in clear.
Primer takes the shine off PVC giving the Solvent a better bond

Cool so you think once I get the primer!! the blue plumbers stuff will hold it??
I got the blue stuff lying around and I can still get the lid off it so that's all good.

Cheers.

DAVE_S
27-07-2009, 05:47 PM
I would use some sikaflex .
its plastic not pvc, blue plumbers glue is used for pvc .

GBC
27-07-2009, 05:52 PM
Not a hope that solvent cement will work.
I don't think any glue will work with dissimilar plastics.

I'd use some smaller rigid pvc or copper pipe (with an OD roughly the same size as the ID of the two pipes being joined), cut it to about 100mm, slip it inside the other two pipes and fasten with ss hose clamps. Some sika would help it seal better, but will also lubricate the pipes and make the whole show very messy, and prolly won't be required anyway.

P.S. Dip the hoses in very hot water prior to fitting so the clamp easier.

my 2c anyhow.

Roughasguts
27-07-2009, 06:04 PM
Thanks GBC don't wan't to use clamps that's kinda messy and not really what I'm hoping to acheive here.
Just need a firm friction fit for low pressure I got it one end with a rubber 'O' ring

Maybe I will try some scuff with paper and contact glue ,or what about hot melt glue gun stuff. That should seal as well.

Cheers.

Kleyny
27-07-2009, 06:05 PM
blue plumbers glue will not work.

I asked my nextdoor neighbour ( plumber)for some to glue two bits of plastic together he found it quite funny.

He then tells me its not glue and it actually melts the pvc which in-turns makes it more of a weld than a glue.

If sikaflex doesn't work i would do as GBC says.

neil

GBC
27-07-2009, 06:32 PM
I'd go for sika 11fc or technique before I used either of those glues. They are both sealants and adhesives.

Roughasguts
27-07-2009, 06:53 PM
He he, it's kinda funny!......... but then kinda sad! that we can put a man in to space but can't glue two bits of plastic together.

Now I can see why a cure for cancer is so hard! you would think it was easy but nup can't be done.

Now Melting it! now your talking !! nah they probably wouldn't mix. How about super glue???

Thanks guy's might try the Sika.

culbara
27-07-2009, 07:34 PM
Make sure you use marine grade sticka flex adhesive one it is about 19dollars a tube and when finished seal the tip and keep in fridge or it will go off

Roughasguts
27-07-2009, 07:46 PM
Make sure you use marine grade sticka flex adhesive one it is about 19dollars a tube and when finished seal the tip and keep in fridge or it will go off

Thanks mate yeah I got to buy some anyway got a few screw holes that could do with a re-seal.

Cheers.

tigermullet
27-07-2009, 07:56 PM
I'd go with the idea from GBC. It will work and, if you don't like hose clamps, which probably would not be necessary anyway then just use a couple of electrical ties to make sure of the join.

Simple is best. We had a similar need on the boat - there's not a glue on the market that will join those materials. Damn strange world we live in.

Mindi
28-07-2009, 07:41 AM
I would use some sikaflex .
its plastic not pvc, blue plumbers glue is used for pvc .

Yeah spot on...try Sikaflex... plumbers stuff is a solvent cement for PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride) while the clear pipe is polythene (Gladwrap and plastic bags) ...not aware of a glue which works well on polythene...usually welded with a heat sealer... If Sikaflex wont stick to it then probably nothing will I suspect

ifishcq1
28-07-2009, 08:20 AM
poly ethylene clear hose and flexi hose is usually poly propylene they don't glue but you can rough up the surfaces of each and stick them with mega-epoxy (megapoxy) as long as there is a male into female connection otherwise replace the whole hose so it has no joins
ehtyl methyl ketone blue glue is a solvent weld only for pvc
the other option is to cut a piece of push bike wheel inner tube and use it as a tight socket over the 2 ends

cheers

station-rat
28-07-2009, 08:33 AM
Try Loctite Super Glue All Plastic - avaible from Bunnings
It consists of an activator and super glue gel
Glues all plastics including PP and PE

Chimo
28-07-2009, 08:36 AM
Hi RAG

What about forgetting all the above and getting yourself some of the flexible hose that unrolls from its fancy little reel while you use it and reels back for storage. Basically its a cheap layflat that I think Ive seen in Bunnings etc

Cheers
Chimo

Roughasguts
28-07-2009, 10:49 AM
Hi Chimo, nah the flat long hose wouldn't work as good! as it's probably got to much resitance and all the gunge in the sink will take forever to flow down. And I think they would kink with hardly any pressure behind them Eg: gravity flow from a caravan sink.

That's why the short length hoses, they should work better than a coiled up long hose that the kids trip over, and the waste water hardly flows through.

Cheers.

Kleyny
28-07-2009, 03:19 PM
hay rough,

when did you put that signature there?

i like it

neil

Roughasguts
28-07-2009, 04:31 PM
hay rough,

when did you put that signature there?

i like it

neil

Been there a while! at least since I tried to put up my photo gallery! Huh you can see that works well.

Yeah but the missus don't wan't to follow the signature idea! but what does she know.

thylacene
28-07-2009, 11:23 PM
Hi Guy's I'm trying to glue and seal some Clear plastic hose 25mm x 100mm long to a flexible washing machine type waste hose.

These waste hoses are cut to 2 mtr lenghts to fit in a storage compartment for the caravan waste outlet,, or Boat!!! (I hated the long coil) Anyway I got the rubber seal and friction removable side worked out!! but the sealer (silastic) don't hold the clear plastic hose in place on the fixed side very well.

My question is what sealer glue has the guts to hold the clear plastic on the crappy plastic waste hose.

I am thinking the blue plumbers stuff for down pipe ?????

Cheers.

Have you thought about a trip to Bunnings or similar and getting a 25mm PVC irrigation joiner, cost about $3 and they have the sliplock clips that just crimp the hose to the joiner, these let you slide the clip sideways to release it easily. You could also use a brass 25MM double ended spigot, you might find one of these in an Agricultural/Rural Supplies store. Check the actual inside diameter before you go shopping, some of that clear tubing has quite thick walls, and you may be able to use a 20MM High pressure PVC (the hard white water pipe) joiner.

There will be an absolute plethora of potentially suitable fittings in any good plumbing store, have a browse, take your hose with you.

Cheers

Taz

Roughasguts
29-07-2009, 11:17 AM
Thanks Taz, thats where I kinda started this quest ! it's the inside diameter needs to be 22mm but even then thats not a snug fit. A rubber "O" ring snugs it up and seals for removing. I'm going to get some sika, that should do it after all it sticks to the rubber and glass, and plastic bits of me boat.

But if it looks untidy I'll go have another look around in the plumbing section, actually might do that anyway.

Cheers.