PDA

View Full Version : yamalube alternative?

trueblue
27-07-2009, 12:00 PM
if I was to use a 2 stroke oil as an alternative to Yamalube, what would be a good choice?

I think I saw comments a long time ago that here was another brand of 2 stroke oil made same as yamalube, but dyed a different colour?

cheers

Mick

thelump
27-07-2009, 12:33 PM
They are all TCW3 mate. Some seem a liitle better than others. I used Valvoline in my last yammy without any problems. Do a search here on two stroke oils and you will find all the info you want. I think there was even a poll done on this subject:-/

FNQCairns
27-07-2009, 12:48 PM
The Caltex 2stroke is the same stuff (in Australia). Curiously Caltex also sells exactly the same Automotive engine oil that Yamaha sells for the sumps of their outboards. If I could be bothered I suspect I will find one of the manual transmission oils caltex sells will be their leg oil but yet to find a virgin oil analysis for each.

cheers fnq

trueblue
27-07-2009, 01:59 PM
I did find out the hard way that Shell Nautilus is crap, it clogs up the carbs.

I also used the Murcury oil on recommendation from my mechanic, and can't prove anything, but the engines oil pump has never been the same again, runs much more smokey now, especially on restart, and leaves lots of soot on the prop - never did that before the Murcury oil went though it.

just want to make sure that if I can't get hold of yamalube easily that I can get something similar that won't cause grief

cheers

Mick

Tazmaniac
27-07-2009, 07:05 PM
FNQCairns,
Can you tell me exactly which Caltex oil is the equivilant for a 4 stroke ?
50 Bucks for the Yamalube 4 stroke oil is a bit steep !
( probably less on your side of the country though )
Funny, I logged on today to post a thread on that very question.
Cheers,
Taz.

Kero
27-07-2009, 07:08 PM
Is the motor oil injected or do you pre-mix the fuel?
I have been told by mechanics not to mix different oils (in oil tank).
Also been told that Castrol Super TCW3 is good stuff. I use it all the time and no dramas.
Hope this helps!8-)

3rd degree
27-07-2009, 07:15 PM
I have heard that Valvoline is one you should steer clear off.

I run a Yammy, and always use their oil. Best way to ensure you've always got some is to buy it by the ctn, works out cheaper too!

Cheers

Jim

Kero
27-07-2009, 07:22 PM
I have heard that Valvoline is one you should steer clear off.

Cheers

Jim

I've been told that as well.... Valvoline! know what I mean!

Stik-ugly
27-07-2009, 08:26 PM
Trueblue if you are chasing Yamalube I Know that Tivoli Marine Sell it in bulk , so if you take your four liter oil container in they will fill it up for you at a reasonable. price .approx $25. Thats in Ipswich if that helps any.

trueblue
27-07-2009, 08:36 PM
Trueblue if you are chasing Yamalube I Know that Tivoli Marine Sell it in bulk , so if you take your four liter oil container in they will fill it up for you at a reasonable. price .approx $25. Thats in Ipswich if that helps any.

I'll give them a call - $39 is the best price I have seen lately.

FNQCairns
28-07-2009, 11:35 AM
FNQCairns,
Can you tell me exactly which Caltex oil is the equivilant for a 4 stroke ?
50 Bucks for the Yamalube 4 stroke oil is a bit steep !
( probably less on your side of the country though )
Funny, I logged on today to post a thread on that very question.
Cheers,
Taz.

Hi Taz, Yamalube 4 stroke is Caltex Havoline in the corresponding grade and weights.

cheers fnq

trueblue
28-07-2009, 12:36 PM

I checked with him, he's not doing it any more at present, apparently the price of 44 gal drums went up too much

cheers

Mick

trueblue
28-07-2009, 12:37 PM
The Caltex 2stroke is the same stuff (in Australia). Curiously Caltex also sells exactly the same Automotive engine oil that Yamaha sells for the sumps of their outboards. If I could be bothered I suspect I will find one of the manual transmission oils caltex sells will be their leg oil but yet to find a virgin oil analysis for each.

cheers fnq

so where do we get the Caltex Super outboard TCW 3 at a good price. Only place I could find it is through Caltex service stations, and Yamalube is cheaper!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers

Mick

FNQCairns
28-07-2009, 05:10 PM
so where do we get the Caltex Super outboard TCW 3 at a good price. Only place I could find it is through Caltex service stations, and Yamalube is cheaper!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers

Mick

Ok that's no good, i get mine from the Caltex distributors up here, last time I visited the price was about to increase so I snapped up 8 or so 4L bottles so it's been a while since I looked again, back then it was typically near $14 dollar less per bottle than the Yamalube.

Hope i am not in for a rude surprise when I need some more, which will be soon.

cheers fnq

sagair
28-07-2009, 05:39 PM
Hi Taz, Yamalube 4 stroke is Caltex Havoline in the corresponding grade and weights.

cheers fnq
Thanks for that info as I need to buy some myself. I wa looking at caltex specs and it says it has 0.01 % ash and the Castrol show 0.004% ash. Can you say how the Castrol rates with Caltex? I used Valvoline on my last motor but I think the remainder will go in the Victa from now on from what you blokes have pointed out. Regard.

black runner
28-07-2009, 07:26 PM

cheers fnq

Hi FNQ,

Clearly Yamaha don't make their own oil, but I am interested to know what the source of your info is? Yamaha, as do others like Quicksilver, let contracts periodically to various oil manufacturers to supply their branded lubricants.

The Yamaha site indicates that the oil has "additives" namely- "Rust, Corrosion, and Deposit Protection: The additive package is formulated to fight corrosion, varnish, and wear for longer engine life".

Is this merely marketing blurb or does the Caltex oil supplied to Yamaha have additional components for operation in a marine environment?

Cheers

hivalley
28-07-2009, 07:45 PM
Hi Trueblue, Is your motor premix or injected mate? All I can say is don't use crap TCW3 oil if you want any reasonable life from your motor. One of the best all round oils to use as premix or injected is Evinrudes XD50, I run it in my Yam and virtually no smoke, keeps the motor carbon free because it has carbonX in it, my prop was black with soot but with XD50 it is as clean as a 4 stroke. Use a good quality oil and your motor will last longer and run sweet and be better on fuel. Use some quality oil mate your motor will love you.

FNQCairns
28-07-2009, 08:13 PM
Thanks for that info as I need to buy some myself. I wa looking at caltex specs and it says it has 0.01 % ash and the Castrol show 0.004% ash. Can you say how the Castrol rates with Caltex? I used Valvoline on my last motor but I think the remainder will go in the Victa from now on from what you blokes have pointed out. Regard.

I cannot speak of the castrol tcw3 as i have never had the interest to chase up the science side of that product as mostly Castrol does an average job of any oil esp when price is included.

Both are ashless by those numbers and must be anyway to hold the tcw3 certification. If I can make an assumption the Caltex might hold the more robust additive package as the ash is slightly higher....you get nothing for nothing and we do not get much with tcw3 oils as all the good stuff is not allowed to be added...it's at the low performance end of the oil grade specs.

cheers fnq

trueblue
28-07-2009, 08:13 PM
my motor still runs sweet on yamalube, just sooty and more smokey now after I ran a different oil through it a while ago. I am told that changing the oil injection pump will fix that.

My motor is a 50:1 oil injection model.

My main question is what oil to get if I run out of yamalube and need to be able to use something else.

I will try and contact the Caltex distributors tomorrow, and see if they will sell direct to the public to get a better price on their product.

cheers

Mick

FNQCairns
28-07-2009, 08:22 PM
Hi FNQ,

Clearly Yamaha don't make their own oil, but I am interested to know what the source of your info is? Yamaha, as do others like Quicksilver, let contracts periodically to various oil manufacturers to supply their branded lubricants.

Hi BR,
Virgin oil analysis, knowledge and an interest + lots of pretty boring research. On the subject of mercury do they manufacturer here?? Their manufacture for the US products is pretty well documented and as in all oil they are done to the required spec, there is also many instances where oil products are simply re-branded with new colourisation being the last pour from the Vat so to speak. ATM cabellas has quality mercury oil for sale as their own house brand.

The Yamaha site indicates that the oil has "additives" namely- "Rust, Corrosion, and Deposit Protection: The additive package is formulated to fight corrosion, varnish, and wear for longer engine life".

Is this merely marketing blurb or does the Caltex oil supplied to Yamaha have additional components for operation in a marine environment?

In this instance entirely marketing but usualy yes it is largely marketing, some oils do do a better job than others even within the confines of the TCW3 spec and good ones get identified sooner or later.

Cheers

cheers fnq

FNQCairns
28-07-2009, 08:28 PM
my motor still runs sweet on yamalube, just sooty and more smokey now after I ran a different oil through it a while ago. I am told that changing the oil injection pump will fix that.

My motor is a 50:1 oil injection model.

My main question is what oil to get if I run out of yamalube and need to be able to use something else.

I will try and contact the Caltex distributors tomorrow, and see if they will sell direct to the public to get a better price on their product.

cheers

Mick

Seriously Mercury is good as is Bombadier...the best without a doubt is the XD oils as they are not tcw3 certified so run hard hitting additive packs.

BTW running xd through it for a couple/few tanks will clean away just about any carbon issue you might have..if you have one.

cheers fnq

Kleyny
28-07-2009, 08:36 PM
Seriously Mercury is good as is Bombadier...the best without a doubt is the XD oils as they are not tcw3 certified so run hard hitting additive packs.

BTW running xd through it for a couple/few tanks will clean away just about any carbon issue you might have..if you have one.

cheers fnq

Hi FQN,

Use lost me with Bombadier?

as a women once said please explain

neil

hivalley
28-07-2009, 08:40 PM
Castrol, Valvoline, Shell, Caltex, etc. etc.
I would not put any of this cheap crap oil in my weed eater let alone a 10k or 20k outboard. But plenty do and then complain that brand x outboards are crap because the powerhead failed or 2 strokes are smoke blowing dinosaurs. Good oil = less smoke - less carbon - longer life - smoother running - no fouling etc. etc.
Just my 2 cents.

FNQCairns
28-07-2009, 08:48 PM
Hi FQN,

Use lost me with Bombadier?

as a women once said please explain

neil

Sorry Bombadier is the parent company that makes the Evinrude etecs and other recreational products also their XD line of oils was once a Torco brand oil. It's all so incestuous and the past just doesn't get forgotten it gets wiped!

cheers fnq

Kleyny
28-07-2009, 08:49 PM
Castrol, Valvoline, Shell, Caltex, etc. etc.
I would not put any of this cheap crap oil in my weed eater let alone a 10k or 20k outboard. But plenty do and then complain that brand x outboards are crap because the powerhead failed or 2 strokes are smoke blowing dinosaurs. Good oil = less smoke - less carbon - longer life - smoother running - no fouling etc. etc.
Just my 2 cents.

So what oil do you recommend????

neil

trueblue
28-07-2009, 08:55 PM
anyone heard of "Seirra' 2 stroke oil?

Was told today by a marine mechanic that it was a good oil, but I have never heard of it.

cheers

Mick

trueblue
28-07-2009, 08:57 PM
"XD" oils, what are these? is this the super expensive stuff running in the Etecs at $80 a bottle?

If it is, that just not an option in a 50:1 injected 2 stroke motor. Using Yamalube I already burn $15 of oil in a 100 klm trip.

cheers

Mick

Kleyny
28-07-2009, 09:04 PM
Sorry Bombadier is the parent company that makes the Evinrude etecs and other recreational products also their XD line of oils was once a Torco brand oil. It's all so incestuous and the past just doesn't get forgotten it gets wiped!

cheers fnq

So if i read your first post right mercury is good.

I use quicksilver/merc in my merc as i am a believer of use what the manufacturer recommends.

neil

hivalley
28-07-2009, 09:07 PM
Hi Niel,

I have worked in the oil industry for 27 years and I can tell you that oils aint oils. You do have to pay for the good stuff. For a carb 2 stroke injected or premix one of the best I know available in Oz is Evinrude's XD50. I would at least run a semi-synthetic from one of the big outboard manufactures - Merc, Yam, BRP etc.
A full synthetic is the best.

hivalley
28-07-2009, 09:17 PM
FNQ is spot on, I run nothing but BRP's XD oils, I to believe they are the very best available 2 stroke oil.

trueblue
28-07-2009, 09:19 PM
how much does XD 50 cost?

FNQCairns
28-07-2009, 09:26 PM
"XD" oils, what are these? is this the super expensive stuff running in the Etecs at $80 a bottle?

If it is, that just not an option in a 50:1 injected 2 stroke motor. Using Yamalube I already burn $15 of oil in a 100 klm trip.

cheers

Mick

Yeah me too but the idea is to run through a full bottle of the fully good stuff once every 6 months or a year, starting soon:) The idea only really holds merit if you plan on keeping the same engine for a few years but again it can in any real time help deal with say a carbon problem.
When the XD's where Torco it was both an injected and a premix oil, now it is MARKETED as injected only...wish someone had already been the guinea pig as I would like to run it through my premix smoker.

cheers fnq

black runner
28-07-2009, 09:27 PM
Interestingly the Caltex web site recommends Havaline Premium Plus 10w-30 (API-SM or ILSAC G-F4) for the Yammie 4 stroke.

Assuming FNQ is correct, the Yamalube equivalent is Caltex Formula 10w-30 which is the lower spec'd 10w-30 (API-SL as shown on the yammie can) but is still above spec (SE thru to SJ according the the motor manual).

Will check the price of Yamalube 4l against Havaline Premium Plus which maybe cheaper for a higher spec'd oil.

Cheers

whiteman
29-07-2009, 01:16 PM
Hey FNQ, from memory you had a Yammie 2s 115 Saltwater - same as me. I use Caltex and buy a litre every time I fill the Prado as I get an extra $5 off shop purchases with the Woollies voucher. Brings it to $5/l which is OK and seems to run well in my donk.

BaitThrower
19-08-2009, 10:23 PM
Regarding the Johnson/Evinrude XD50 oil, can this be used in pre-mix 2-strokes?

oldboot
19-08-2009, 11:16 PM
As far As I know all the mercury oils are imported from the US.........so the packaging states.....the US liquid units is a give away.

For normal 2 strokes the premium two stroke is the best choice of the mercury....a long way ahead of their cheaper old style 2 stroke oil.

I changed to the premium from the standard in 30Hp merc and the difference was immediate......definitely less smoke and the motor sounded better ( seriously)

I've just cut the new boat across from valvoline.......I will see next time I run it.

A mate cut his 115 johno across to the premium 2 stroke merc....and noticed similar results.

I too have heard mumbles about the valvoline.

I thing all the decent two stroke oils will have a variety of additives that do funky stuff......I would have thaught that was the point of a " new generation oil"........so claims of this or that are not unreasonable but... nothing special.

cheers

cheers

trueblue
19-08-2009, 11:26 PM
I found out that I can get a 20 litre drum of the caltex 2 stroke oil for $30 less than a drum of Yamalube. and this is through a service station.

still haven't tried to get in touch with the distributors to see if they will sell direct to the public, but I tthink I already know the answer to that

Mick

trueblue
19-08-2009, 11:27 PM
how much is the Murcury premium 2 stroke oil? is that the same stuff that goes in the Opti's

cheers

Mick

FNQCairns
20-08-2009, 06:41 AM
I found out that I can get a 20 litre drum of the caltex 2 stroke oil for $30 less than a drum of Yamalube. and this is through a service station.

still haven't tried to get in touch with the distributors to see if they will sell direct to the public, but I tthink I already know the answer to that

Mick

Hi mate yeah i think they all do but even then the prices can fluctuate between sellers so it's worth ringing a few.

BTW how much for that 20L?

cheers fnq

trueblue
20-08-2009, 09:51 AM
Hi mate yeah i think they all do but even then the prices can fluctuate between sellers so it's worth ringing a few.

BTW how much for that 20L?

cheers fnq

$153 for a 20 L.

Yamalube was the same price per litre in a 20 Lt drum as buying it in 4 lt containers ($183 per 20Lt)

If it is nearly the same stuff... price talks as I use 1 to 2 litres every time I take the boat out

Mick

FNQCairns
20-08-2009, 10:50 AM
Just rang my distributor as I only have 4l left myself they are asking $114.57 inc GST for 20l drum, keep in mind that most often we pay a 5 to10% premium on many things up here over you lucky ones in metropolis, under caltex in the white pages should give you a list of those close by.

interested TB to hear what final price you obtain.

cheers fnq