PDA

View Full Version : Victoria first .Then lookout for everyone!!!!

seabug
25-07-2009, 06:46 PM
AMATEUR fishing groups plan mass protests against a proposal to restrict their access to the ocean.
The suggested laws would limit boats shorter than about 5m to enclosed waters while only boats longer than 8m would be allowed to go more than 20 nautical miles off the coast.
Fishing groups fear such changes to the laws would cripple the $80 million recreational fishing industry.

<LI class=your-say>Your say: Are fishing enthusiasts getting a raw deal? Add your comment below.
New laws: Fishy frozen seafood rort stinks (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25825727-2862,00.html)They say the proposal is ridiculous and have vowed to host the "biggest show of strength" to fight the plan.
Warrnambool Offshore and Light Game Fishing Club (http://www.gfav.com.au/index.php?option=com_contact&view=category&catid=34&Itemid=57) president Peter Kavanagh said 90 per cent of anglers would be affected.
"If these laws come into play people who can't afford a bigger boat will be ruled out," he said.
"And that ruins it for families and anyone who wants to fish recreationally."
Mr Kavanagh said anglers had to travel up to 35 nautical miles out to sea to reach the shelf where the fish were.
The Opposition says it will fight the proposal in parliament and is helping to organise a petition.
Opposition ports spokesman Denis Napthine said such changes would have an enormous effect on amateur fishing as well as tourism.
The State Government says the Review of Marine Safety Laws (http://www.transport.vic.gov.au/Doi/Internet/planningprojects.nsf/AllDocs/5233ADAD980B4DFACA2575DF0000B402?OpenDocument) is to designed to modernise and strengthen the state's marine legislation as well as improve safety on waterways.
It says safety risks are rising, with the number of collisions in the past financial year replacing drowning as the major cause of death associated with marine accidents.
A spokesman for Ports Minister Tim Pallas said the Government had released discussion papers with ideas for reform.
"The purpose of this paper is purely to invite feedback from all Victorians who want to have a say on any of the issues presented," spokesman Bill Kyriakopoulos said.
"These are for consideration only and we encourage people to make a submission.
"We are seeking comment from the boating industry, recreational boaters and the general public on water safety issues and the most appropriate legislative response."
Mr Kyriakopoulos said a series of public information sessions would be held across the state starting next month.

Gozz
25-07-2009, 07:10 PM
90 per cent of anglers would be affected.
"If these laws come into play people who can't afford a bigger boat will be ruled out," he said.
Mr Kavanagh said anglers had to travel up to 35 nautical miles out to sea to reach the shelf where the fish were.

That's spot on I reckon.

They should at least make it more realistic.
Who can afford a 8mt boat these days.
5.5 - 5.6mt's would be more affordable and still safe enough for the off shore stuff.

seabug
25-07-2009, 09:00 PM
AMATEUR fishing groups plan mass protests against a proposal to restrict their access to the ocean.
The suggested laws would limit boats shorter than about 5m to enclosed waters while only boats longer than 8m would be allowed to go more than 20 nautical miles off the coast.
Fishing groups fear such changes to the laws would cripple the $80 million recreational fishing industry.

<LI class=your-say>Your say: Are fishing enthusiasts getting a raw deal? Add your comment below.
New laws: Fishy frozen seafood rort stinks (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25825727-2862,00.html)They say the proposal is ridiculous and have vowed to host the "biggest show of strength" to fight the plan.
Warrnambool Offshore and Light Game Fishing Club (http://www.gfav.com.au/index.php?option=com_contact&view=category&catid=34&Itemid=57) president Peter Kavanagh said 90 per cent of anglers would be affected.
The Opposition says it will fight the proposal in parliament and is helping to organise a petition.
Opposition ports spokesman Denis Napthine said such changes would have an enormous effect on amateur fishing as well as tourism.
The State Government says the Review of Marine Safety Laws (http://www.transport.vic.gov.au/Doi/Internet/planningprojects.nsf/AllDocs/5233ADAD980B4DFACA2575DF0000B402?OpenDocument) is to designed to modernise and strengthen the state's marine legislation as well as improve safety on waterways.
It says safety risks are rising, with the number of collisions in the past financial year replacing drowning as the major cause of death associated with marine accidents.
A spokesman for Ports Minister Tim Pallas said the Government had released discussion papers with ideas for reform.
"The purpose of this paper is purely to invite feedback from all Victorians who want to have a say on any of the issues presented," spokesman Bill Kyriakopoulos said.
"These are for consideration only and we encourage people to make a submission.
"We are seeking comment from the boating industry, recreational boaters and the general public on water safety issues and the most appropriate legislative response."
Mr Kyriakopoulos said a series of public information sessions would be held across the state starting next month.

This new proposal seems to do away with the "Smooth Waters" area for boating.

This would appear to mean that small boats would be banned from the current two mile boating area that exists at present.

So all the small boats that currently use the ocean would now have to use the enclosed waters.

This would put immense fishing pressure on rivers and PPB

The reason given for this new proposal is because of collisions.
How many collisions have occured in ocean "Smooth Water " areas??

Seems more like a GREENIE push to ban fishing.

Is this the real reason?

And is Victoria a test case.?

Regards
seabug

Lbudgie
25-07-2009, 11:44 PM
one line of thinking is that the pros and charters will suport the proposal cos they will make a killing.
It looks like its getting way too easy for a trailer boat to get out wide to where only the charters use to go. Eg portland

Jeremy
26-07-2009, 08:30 AM
this is pretty big news and very important to all of us. Highest boat ownership per capita in Qld I think. Imagine if all those boats under 5m had to fish in enclosed waters? I take my 4.4 offshore all the time and it would be virtually useless to me if I couldn't.

Please post a link to the petition when it is up and I will gladly sign, write letters, whatever else.

Jeremy

seabug
26-07-2009, 10:18 AM
There is a link in this article where they ask Victorians to give feedback

It will be no use complaining when it is too late

So Vic's, stand up for your boating rights

Don't put it off

Do it NOW
Review of marine safety laws

The Department of Transport is undertaking a comprehensive review of the Marine Act 1988.

Relatively few changes have been made to the Marine Act since it was enacted more than 20 years ago.

The focus of the review is to modernise and strengthen Victoria's marine legislation to improve safety regulation on our waterways.

High levels of growth in both commercial and recreational marine activity over the past decade have led to increasing congestion, amplified due to the shrinkage of inland waters caused by Victoria's long drought.

Safety risks are growing and the number of collisions is rising. In 2007-08 collisions replaced drowning as the major cause of death associated with marine incidents.

Rapid expansion in new forms of high speed recreational watercraft has added to safety risks in many popular boating and swimming locations.

Hospital admissions as a result of incidents on the water have risen significantly over recent years. A total of 298 people were admitted to Victorian hospitals in 2007-08 with recreational boating injuries - an increase of 34 per cent in just one year and nearly double the number recorded only five years earlier.

The review will consider contemporary approaches to marine regulation that have the potential to improve safety outcomes and reduce deaths and injuries on our waterways.

Public consultation program

The review commenced in November 2008. Scoping workshops, attended by a cross section of key stakeholders, were held in December 2008 to identify problems with the current Act and suggested changes.

A series of workshops on different topics, involving a wider range of key stakeholders, was held in March 2009. These informed the preparation of two discussion papers for public consultation:

A summary of issues and reform options for recreational boating (PDF, 525 KB, 20 pp.) (http://www.transport.vic.gov.au/DOI/DOIElect.nsf/$UNIDS+for+Web+Display/ACE877B5FAC89A47CA2575E4007EB087/$FILE/MSV_Discussion_paper-RecVessel.pdf)
A more detailed paper dealing with the specific issue of 'hoon' boating (PDF 1,081KB, 52 pp.) (http://www.transport.vic.gov.au/DOI/DOIElect.nsf/$UNIDS+for+Web+Display/334572020AAD2C84CA2575E4007EDBA3/$FILE/MSV_Discussion_paper-RecBoatHoonLaws.pdf)

Have your say

Inquiries, comments and submissions may be emailed to: marineactreview@transport.vic.gov.au (marineactreview%40transport.vic.gov.au)

Submissions should be addressed to:
Marine Act Review
Department of Transport
GPO Box 2797
Melbourne VIC 3001

Telephone inquiries: (03) 9655 6601

seabug
26-07-2009, 09:01 PM
PLease read post headed
"OOPS,Wrong Again"

Vast difference between paper report and Govt. report
Regards
seabug

julian1
27-07-2009, 11:10 AM
Guy's this is very serious, the boat size suggestions are in print so it basically has to be changed otherwise it will get past. Make sure you submitt your submissions. I can't believe how many people have only read this post. Ausfish should ensure this is a sticky topic and ensure all users are requested to read this issue !!!

Triple
26-06-2012, 07:34 PM
Bringing back an old thread but I see the new Vic regs come in 1st July 2012. Worth having a read if you boat down that way as some of the rules are :o and some fines have quadrupled and up to $2800 in court fines if you challenge not wearing a pfd etc. Some are good but how long till these are rolled out to other states once they start raking in the coin?
Here is the legislation - http://www.legislation.vic.gov.au/Domino/Web_Notes/LDMS/PubStatbook.nsf/f932b66241ecf1b7ca256e92000e23be/b3af3J67ef42bf4a4ca2577ac0021cf9d!OpenDocument
From here -
http://www.transportsafety.vic.gov.au/maritime-safety/acts-and-regulations/marine-safety-act/changes-for-recreational-boaters

rocklobster
26-06-2012, 08:02 PM
Dont worry ,if the pew group (green american anti fishing society) have their way ,no one will be fishing . They have plans to eventually try and close the Coral sea. Do some research if you are unaware. They are a very wealthy powerful group who are lobbying all levels of government to eventually close all access to the Great Barrier Reef ,.
We true Australians all have the same "shel be right attitude" and generally accepty whatever changes our weak leaders throw at us. The southern guys need to start emailing their local ministers in protest at this above decision . I must admit that ' some' of these people who are rescued must have very little, if any, boating knowledge and in some cases respect for the ocean .That minority makes us all look bad .

Lovey80
26-06-2012, 08:21 PM
Did they drop their retarded length v nm distance rubbish?

wacoaus
26-06-2012, 10:25 PM
I'm probably wrong but even if you could afford a boat over 8m to go offshore dont most of them exceed the widths for legal towing anyway. I've looked at boats that size from america (cant afford but still look) and they mostly are too wide to tow over here so we would be screwed at towing it somewhere else whenever we felt like it as well.

Andy56
27-06-2012, 08:29 AM
COLD SHOWER BOYS!
After the last RUMOUR bout against government rules, I actually emailed the minister and got the REAL FACTS.
As much as I am not in love with Liberal governments, you have to give due where its due. Has someone in this RUMOUR mill actually talked to the Minister first or is this just another shoot off without facts?
I hope threads like this don't give "licence" to mouth off against any and all perceived petty political agendas by bogans!
So far this forum has been free of junk threads, lets keep it that way boys.

Still_Dreamin
27-06-2012, 09:19 AM
Andy can you share the real facts from the Minister to balance the arguement

Triple
27-06-2012, 11:19 AM
The facts are in the legislation that I posted above that has been passed and comes into force 1/7/12... Maybe I should of posted it as a new thread so people don't get confused with the "proposed" changes from 09.

Andy56
27-06-2012, 02:15 PM
Still dreaming, I haven't because last time I looked, the scare stories got out of hand, so , I am assuming the same will happen this time and not bothering. Maybe when something more concrete turns up I might bother.

Triple
27-06-2012, 02:45 PM
You vic blokes better not forget to update your details..
(1 penalty unit is $140.84 from 1/7/12)

53. Change of name or address
r. 53

(1) The holder of a marine licence must notify the Safety Director in writing, not more than 14 days after the change, about any change in his or her—
(a) name; or
(b) residential address; or
(c) postal address or address for service of notices.
Penalty: 10 penalty units.
(2) Unless required by the Safety Director, the notification from the person referred to in subregulation (1) need not be in writing.

Andy56
27-06-2012, 06:40 PM
triple, so far nothing to get excited about. If people are too complacent to do the right thing, I have no problems them paying for it. And I am sure the irregularities will get picked up before being presented as legislation. I recon its a stuff up! ( you can think conspiracy)

Triple
27-06-2012, 06:50 PM
There is no conspiracy.. The new legislation (marine safety act 2010) has passed and will be enforced as of 1/7/12. Read the link I posted previously. Lots of changes to the actual legislation compared to the "proposed" one back in 09 but a few changes that Vic boaties should be aware of. I don't even go there I was just passing the info on in case Ausfish members from down there missed it. Do you think it's fair to pay up to $1408.40 for not telling them you moved within 14 days?

Stuart
27-06-2012, 08:50 PM
I can see a busniess opertunity here for very long bow sprits. I can see a 4.5 meter boat with a 4 meter bow sprit.

Triple
27-06-2012, 09:45 PM
That length issue was removed.. typical scenario but, propose legislation changes and add some extreme ones in there so when it is challenged at review they remove the extreme radical ones so "we" think "we" had a win and the changes they wanted in the first place get through while "we" feel all warm and fuzzy inside thinking we acheived something.

"we" being the groups opposed to the changes in the first place.

BM
27-06-2012, 10:04 PM
The 10 penalty units for the offence is not a strict outcome.

It's the maximum permissible fine for that offence.

If I recall the discussion with Marine Safety Vic at the new regulations workshops the typical penalty was a 1:5 ratio meaning the practical penalty would be 2 penalty units.

A maximum ceiling must however be set to establish guidelines.

Triple
27-06-2012, 10:11 PM
up to $1408.40 for not telling them you moved within 14 days?

up to $2800 in court fines if you challenge not wearing a PFD

I did say up to ;)