PDA

View Full Version : Loss of pressure Outboard fuel line

MoretonBay4Eva
24-07-2009, 06:29 PM
Hi all -
Firstly thanks greatly to anyone who responded to my previous questions about outboard servicing in Redcliffe, QLD area.

Now - Today I went out in the Tinny from Scarborough boat ramp (Thurecht st).

The bulb on my Outboard fuel line seemed to prime well and filled up pretty firm as normal.
Once out for a few minutes it seemed to lose pressure and my 20 hp stopped.
I got it restarted and then the same thing happened a few minutes later.

The bulb just lost all firmness and wouldn't fill up/firm up.

I took the cowling off and tried pumping the bulb and it looked like no fuel going into the filter at all.

There didn't appear to be any air holes in the line, as no fuel was visibly leaking out.

Any ideas anyone?

I wondered if the inside-tank tube for the fuel outlet can get clogged in a short space of time? As it was working fine last week.

All thoughts very welcome! thanks, Matto

dinky
24-07-2009, 06:44 PM
My bulb never gets firm since last service, boat shop said bulb is ok.mine did stop once but never happened again.i don't know why bulb won't firm up or why it stoped.Im lost with you. merc 15hp USA.Cheers Dean....

dnej
24-07-2009, 07:00 PM
How old is the bulb, and did you have the breather on the tank open?
David

MoretonBay4Eva
24-07-2009, 07:32 PM
How old is the bulb, and did you have the breather on the tank open?
David

Thanks for reply David,

The bulb is fairly new.

Yeah, I had the breather open too.

Mat

Kleyny
24-07-2009, 07:45 PM
I would say you have a bad connection there somewhere.
My dads 25hp done the same thing it turned out to be the hose connector going into the engine.

Once i removed the connector and went straight into the carby it never had a problem.

neil

wrenchman
24-07-2009, 07:50 PM
There are a few things you can check .
Make sure there is Fuel in the Tank ,
unclip the fuel line from the motor and then try and prime the hose ? if the bulb still wont go hard then the problem is either the Hose or the Tank . sometimes the hose going into the tank falls off , some times the Valves in the hose ends get crap in them and get stuck open .some times the vent in the cap blokes up and them vacuum is created in the tank .
if the hose primes up when disconnected from the motor , then the problem is more than likely in the motor , could be a problem with the hoses or could be a fuel pump problem , depends on the brand of motor and what type of pump it uses as to the difficulty in repair .
do these checks are you should get an idea of where the problem is .

Getout
25-07-2009, 07:50 AM
Had the same thing happen last weekend. The old (fairly new really) Etec would turn over but not fire. I thought the Yamahahahah boys must have sabotaged me! I even called in for a tow.
Turned out to be a loose hose clamp on the tank side of the primer bulb, allowing air to suck in, but not loose enough for fuel to leak back out.
I have been knocking it a bit lately, when stowing stuff behind the rear seat.
Its not a nice feeling, to have a motor that doesn't start when you are a few miles offshore.