PDA

View Full Version : Handheld Spotlight for Boats

mcchaddy
24-07-2009, 01:08 PM
Hi All,

I am wondering if people here use handheld spotlights in their boats.

I am looking for a decent handheld spotlight. It doesn't need to be rechargeable but needs to plug into a cigarette lighter or similar. Are the cheap plastic ones sold at BCF/BIAS etc any good or should I be looking at something bit better.

Cheers

Michael.

Blackened
24-07-2009, 01:56 PM
G'day

I use them extensively when out on the water. My light of choice is the cat. no. 2502 here.

http://www.biasboating.com.au/p-363-spotlights.aspx

Dave

Scott79
24-07-2009, 03:46 PM
Michael,
I use a Lightforce 170SL and am really happy with it. Light, durable and puts out plenty of light. It isn't a rechargeable light, comes with alligator clips and a generous amount of cable. They do an ML version which is the marine version, you should be able to get them for $120 or so. I would have bought the ML version except they didn't have one in stock when I needed it.

Scott.

Lucky_Phill
24-07-2009, 03:51 PM
this is my choice....

http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=123&item=81110&intAbsolutePage=1

phill

dodgyone
24-07-2009, 05:09 PM
Michael,
I use a Lightforce 170SL and am really happy with it. Light, durable and puts out plenty of light. It isn't a rechargeable light, comes with alligator clips and a generous amount of cable. They do an ML version which is the marine version, you should be able to get them for $120 or so. I would have bought the ML version except they didn't have one in stock when I needed it.

Scott.

Did you look at the actual differnce between the 2 models. Only thing the Lightforce dealer could find different was the ML version had a stainless fitting on the bottom and the standard had brass. Still a great light though. I use a 240 as it doubles nicely as my shooting spotty. Nice and light and can get HID conversion kits for them too.

Sheik
24-07-2009, 06:13 PM
Hey mate, I use a cordless coleman, which uses 3 led's. THe good thing about them is that unlike many cordless lights, the battery lasts for yonks. THe light is surprisingly good, given that it's coming from led's and it's a coleman, so it comes with a 3 year warranty. Very happy with this one.

TheRealAndy
24-07-2009, 07:30 PM
I use one of these: http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=123&item=81174&intAbsolutePage=1

By far the best spottie I have ever had on the water. You will need to change the ciggie lighter plug if you buy one though, the only bad thing about them.

hooknose
24-07-2009, 09:57 PM
I have been using a hella hand held spotty (for the last 20 years) the kind that takes 1oomm/ 100w sealed beams, does the job real well!!

DazSamFishing
24-07-2009, 10:46 PM
I use a cheapie BCF handheld 500,000cp spottie. Plugs into 12v socket; it cost no more than $40; I've had it for over 2 years; no dramas.
daz

The-easyrider
25-07-2009, 11:18 AM
I use a cheapie BCF handheld 500,000cp spottie. Plugs into 12v socket; it cost no more than $40; I've had it for over 2 years; no dramas.
daz

I use the same with no problems hols its charge well and has been kickin around the boat for about three years or more been wet been droped and stills gos well, just dont leave it on the white seats for days as the yellow stains the white vynal

the gecko
25-07-2009, 11:23 AM
You might want a second battery to run it off. I wouldnt like the idea of using one off my main battery. thats why i go for the rechargable spotty. Andrew

mcchaddy
25-07-2009, 06:16 PM
Hi All,

Thanks for all the feedback. Went and bought a Glarefree BlueEye from BIAS $90. Works great and is nice and light. Can spot the dog running down the street now when I leave the gate open.

I am running a single 90amp battery charged from a 30hp 3cyl yammy. The light will only be used while the motor is running and maybe the occasional use at the ramp when it isn't. Will this be a big enough battery and will the motor keep the charge up to the battery. Also runnig a depth sounder, gps and nav lights.

Cheers

Michael

black runner
25-07-2009, 08:05 PM
According to whitworths the deck mount version is 170watts (same 400000cp so I assume its the same wattage as the hand held) which means it will be drawing 14 amps. This is more than your o/b will charge at, so it will need to be used sparingly. Good thing about your setup is that its easy to hand start the O/B if the battery is flat.

Cheers

Scott79
25-07-2009, 10:45 PM
Did you look at the actual differnce between the 2 models. Only thing the Lightforce dealer could find different was the ML version had a stainless fitting on the bottom and the standard had brass. Still a great light though. I use a 240 as it doubles nicely as my shooting spotty. Nice and light and can get HID conversion kits for them too.

No, haven't seen the ML version at all. Would have assumed that the difference would have been more significant than that though, figured it would have had a snug gland where the cable exits the handle as a minimum, that is where my concern would be for water ingress. Hardly a "marine" version by the sound of things. That said though, I have been extremely happy with my SL thus far.

A HID conversion kit for the handheld 240 !!! Now that would be an awesome light.

dodgyone
26-07-2009, 09:51 AM
No, haven't seen the ML version at all. Would have assumed that the difference would have been more significant than that though, figured it would have had a snug gland where the cable exits the handle as a minimum, that is where my concern would be for water ingress. Hardly a "marine" version by the sound of things. That said though, I have been extremely happy with my SL thus far.

A HID conversion kit for the handheld 240 !!! Now that would be an awesome light.

Was my thoughts too. It was the dealer that pulled them out side by side and went over the specs.
Very happy with the 240. HID means you can see further than you can shoot.:o

Sea-Dog
28-07-2009, 09:12 PM
My spottie is an el-cheapo plastic job. The feature that I like the most is that is has a trigger switch.

It can't be left on accidentally. Let go of the switch - she turns off.