PDA

View Full Version : Boat Compass Help Please

Debro
23-07-2009, 04:58 PM
Is someone in the know of a good compass for our small boat 4.1m runabout.
Would like to have a compass for finding the same direction each time we head out the Seaway. Nooooo we don't want to go to the expense or complication of a GPS.
We just want to keep the boat heading on the same course/direction each time.
(Psst... We found a good fishing spot and would like to find it each time)

What would you recommend for a good basic.
I see they are different sizes, some with lighting, some with a course memory??

We would greatfully appreciate some help & advise, please.

Debro

trueblue
23-07-2009, 05:03 PM
good luck finding your spot with the compass.........

there are not enough fish left for that to work any more!

But, you are obliged to have a compass in the boat anyway.

see Bias Boating, or any chandlery.

Duckfish
23-07-2009, 07:09 PM
Have a look in the Bias Boating Catalogue and check out a Suunto compass for $175.00. Pretty good compass and wont spin when in rough water.

Duckfish

TheRealAndy
23-07-2009, 07:24 PM
Is someone in the know of a good compass for our small boat 4.1m runabout.
Would like to have a compass for finding the same direction each time we head out the Seaway. Nooooo we don't want to go to the expense or complication of a GPS.
We just want to keep the boat heading on the same course/direction each time.
(Psst... We found a good fishing spot and would like to find it each time)

What would you recommend for a good basic.
I see they are different sizes, some with lighting, some with a course memory??

We would greatfully appreciate some help & advise, please.

Debro

A good compass for navigating is expensive. You really need to get something with 2 degree accuracy or better. A fixed compass like this is going to set you back more than a cheap GPS. I reckon you would be lucky to get change from $1000. However, you can pick up a good handbearing compass with the same accuracy for a couple of hundred.

The 2 brands I would recommend are silvia and plastimo. If you dont mind a hand bearing compass, the Plastimo IRIS 50 is hard to beat. This is probably one of the best compasses I have been able to buy from a marine store. The slivia compasses are aimed more at land based navigation, but they are still very good.

I was always taught how to navigate with a cheap compass. A cheap compass will always get you out of trouble, but it wont get you to an exact spot.

Roughasguts
23-07-2009, 07:29 PM
I don't think you can drive a boat that accurately with the movement of the boat making the compass card move plus or minus 10 degrees, then trying to hold a heading of + or - 3 degrees as well. If you can do all that then your still going to find it hard to find a hole thats not visible with out a sounder.

You might get close with known distance, divided by speed, and hold a heading for a certain time then your spot is pretty damn close. Provided the heading is exactly the same as the track and it won't be!! and then theres the current to deal with as well.

Even a cheap Gps will find the mark and not care about the variable above.

Cheers.

Debro
23-07-2009, 07:50 PM
good luck finding your spot with the compass.........

there are not enough fish left for that to work any more!

But, you are obliged to have a compass in the boat anyway.

see Bias Boating, or any chandlery.

Yeah, Got the Bias book right in front of me - buy hey which one???

Debro
23-07-2009, 07:53 PM
Have a look in the Bias Boating Catalogue and check out a Suunto compass for $175.00. Pretty good compass and wont spin when in rough water.

Duckfish

Okay thanks, I can see the one you mean in the catalogue. Will have a look in the store.

Debro

Debro
23-07-2009, 07:58 PM
A good compass for navigating is expensive. You really need to get something with 2 degree accuracy or better. A fixed compass like this is going to set you back more than a cheap GPS. I reckon you would be lucky to get change from $1000. However, you can pick up a good handbearing compass with the same accuracy for a couple of hundred.

The 2 brands I would recommend are silvia and plastimo. If you dont mind a hand bearing compass, the Plastimo IRIS 50 is hard to beat. This is probably one of the best compasses I have been able to buy from a marine store. The slivia compasses are aimed more at land based navigation, but they are still very good.

I was always taught how to navigate with a cheap compass. A cheap compass will always get you out of trouble, but it wont get you to an exact spot.

thanks Andy,
Can see the ones you recommend in the catalogue.
I'll have to get my husband Bazza to open those purse strings a bit further.
He reckons a $35.00 one will do but Hey you only get what you pay for right....
Not the fishing spot.... now what is that worth??
This might take more work than I thought...

Debro

Debro
23-07-2009, 08:02 PM
I don't think you can drive a boat that accurately with the movement of the boat making the compass card move plus or minus 10 degrees, then trying to hold a heading of + or - 3 degrees as well. If you can do all that then your still going to find it hard to find a hole thats not visible with out a sounder.

You might get close with known distance, divided by speed, and hold a heading for a certain time then your spot is pretty damn close. Provided the heading is exactly the same as the track and it won't be!! and then theres the current to deal with as well.

Even a cheap Gps will find the mark and not care about the variable above.

Cheers.

We've got the sounder that picks up the bottom nicely, got a good head bearing just need a bit extra help without stressing the brain with too much variables
(leaving the computer at home - isn't that what fishing is all about)
We're not looking for a hole - its a reef...

Many thanks for all your technology info.

Debro

trueblue
23-07-2009, 08:54 PM
whats the bearing heading from the seaway to your reef?

Travesso
24-07-2009, 10:01 AM
90 degrees ;D

Jeremy
24-07-2009, 10:12 AM
Get what you pay for. $35 compass is cheapest and I would not want to rely on. As above, get yourself a handheld GPS for $200-$400. Will give you direction and can find the same spot for you time after time. You will wish you had one once you find a bit of a nice bommie with a good show hanging off it.

Jeremy

Roughasguts
24-07-2009, 01:48 PM
I know what you mean by navigating with a compass it's more satisfying that's for sure, done it for years navigating Aircraft all over the place before GPS was a legal aid to have in the cockpit.
Our requirement to fly say 60 miles would be to be within 3 miles off track if flying by compass alone. Of course a lot less with all the other more accurate instruments thrown in.

To fly by compass you wait till the compass needle is steady pick a heading or referance point way upon the horizon and find a spec on the windscreen to line the two up. Then hold that referance point and only look at the compass if it's settled eay if theres no drift, and you know the distance and your ground speed and have a time piece.

But get a second hand Gps can't imagine my old Garmin Gps being worth more than 20 bucks.

dreemon
24-07-2009, 03:02 PM
In the electrical classifieds theres a hand held GPS , used for $ 160

Debro
24-07-2009, 06:21 PM
whats the bearing heading from the seaway to your reef?

Isn't that the whole reason I need a compass?

You get me the compass and we'll meet at the site....

Debro

Debro
24-07-2009, 06:23 PM
Isn't that the whole reason I need a compass?

You get me the compass and we'll meet at the site....

Debro

We had double hook-ups on Monday afternoon.

But I tell you.... You really wanna hear the whole storey why it was Monday afternoon
and not Monday morning...
If you've got an email address I'll send you the story.
I can assure you you will be splitting at the sides.

Debro

Debro
24-07-2009, 06:57 PM
90 degrees ;D

You cheeky buggar.... We can do better than that without a compass or GPS
Debro;)

Debro
25-07-2009, 06:19 PM
I know what you mean by navigating with a compass it's more satisfying that's for sure, done it for years navigating Aircraft all over the place before GPS was a legal aid to have in the cockpit.
Our requirement to fly say 60 miles would be to be within 3 miles off track if flying by compass alone. Of course a lot less with all the other more accurate instruments thrown in.

To fly by compass you wait till the compass needle is steady pick a heading or referance point way upon the horizon and find a spec on the windscreen to line the two up. Then hold that referance point and only look at the compass if it's settled eay if theres no drift, and you know the distance and your ground speed and have a time piece.

But get a second hand Gps can't imagine my old Garmin Gps being worth more than 20 bucks.

Gee's thanks for all your info. Unfortunately i don't have a pilots licence so don't really understand all your knowledge.
I thought I could follow a compass direction to keep me roughly on course when heading out to sea. We don't go very far.
But sometimes you can be quite a way off the area you want to be without something to head for or some guidance to follow.

thanks for you info

Debro