PDA

View Full Version : "Drumbeat" is a champion

Midnight
22-07-2009, 11:13 PM
Gday,
Headed out for a fish yesterday with my old man and a mate down from Hong Kong.
Cracker of a day and hardly anyone out. Picked up a nice Camoflage Cod at Northern Hutchies and got bricked by a couple of unknowns, lots of good shows on the sounder.
Decided to head down to Deep Tempest and just got onto the fish when I noticed I had a lost a lot of oil into the bilge. With nothing showing on the dipstick, we were unservicable. I made a call on the VHF to ask if anyone had some oil to spare and was nearby.
I got a call from a fella at Hutchies (sorry I can't remember your call sign) who said he didn't have the fuel to make it down and still get home. Fair enough and thanks for the call.

I then got a call from "Drumbeat" with an offer of help. To cut a long story short, Peter and his crew made the run from Wide Caloundra to a few miles Sth East of Deep Tempest to give me 5L of oil. That got the dipstick back up to the full mark so I cranked her up again and we headed for home at displacement speed. I had blown a seal in the oil cooler and oil was dripping away quite constantly at 1600 revs for 7-8kts but running out when I stoked her up to my 3200 cruise revs. Anyway, it was a long haul back to Newport to a mates place for more oil,and then home to Shorncliffe.
It was 7.5 hours from Tempest to the dock in Cabbage Tree Creek.

Sorry for the long story, but I just want everyone out there to know what a champion effort Peter on "Drumbeat" made. Again, thanks mate!

Without "Drumbeat's" help, Coast Guard Redcliffe would have been making a long run out and back! Thanks to the guys that were on watch on Tuesday for keeping a ear out for me.

Also thanks to Lee "Crossbow" and Graham "Pompano IV" for all your help.

Cheers,
Myles

P.S Peter "Drumbeat" has refused petrol money for his efforts, but will let me buy him a Bourbon. Thanks again champ!

sleepygreg
22-07-2009, 11:21 PM
Congrats to Peter for helping out. Good Karma will be yours. And to all the other guys that helped in one way or the other. Also great to see that you were covered on all bases with your communications with the coastguard.

Thanks for giving credit where it is due Myles. Great to hear a good news story.

Cheers
Greg

Aunty Jack
22-07-2009, 11:39 PM
Good stuff

Lucky_Phill
23-07-2009, 07:16 AM
I know Peter well.

Top bloke and this is typical of his character.

Glad it turned out OK in the end.

Phill

uripper
23-07-2009, 11:15 AM
Peter and his crew made the run from Wide Caloundra to a few miles Sth East of Deep Tempest to give me 5L of oil.

That IS a Champion effort :o
Well done Peter - may the sea gods smile on you ;)

Thanks also to you Myles for reporting this good Samaritin. Will try to remember this next time a "tool" does the wrong thing.

MalM

Jurkyjj
23-07-2009, 03:46 PM
Champion effort.
Well done.