PDA

View Full Version : mercury water pump

huiop1
22-07-2009, 06:07 PM
Hi all does anyone know how to replace impeller in a 15 hp mercury americian any help would be appreciated

Aunty Jack
23-07-2009, 09:36 AM
Hi all does anyone know how to replace impeller in a 15 hp mercury americian any help would be appreciated

I'd say the impela would still be in the bottom leg section.
Its been some years since l've done one.
l may be wrong so feel free to to judge me fellars.
First drop the bottom leg with the motor in a tilt position slide of.
Remove bottom leg and were the shaft goes in is were the impella goes.
Replase and lube [vasaline] at the very least the impella and O ring.
Taking not not to damage the O ring when refitting it.
Even go to the library and get a manaul or pick a boat mechince brain.
Thats what i would do
Remember if it dont fit dont force it rule applys.

Noelm
23-07-2009, 10:16 AM
that's pretty well it I guess, it is a simple thing that most people with some basic mechanical knowledge and some hand tools can do, sometimes removing the bolts and leg can be a drama if it has not been apart for a while.

Kleyny
23-07-2009, 08:52 PM
Just make sure your your gearbox slector shaft is in the same spot on removal and fitment.

You could end up with all sorts of dramas like no gears, only forward , only reverse.

if in doubt take a sh!t load of photos on removal.

neil

huiop1
24-07-2009, 07:02 PM
Hi guys i removed the 3 bolts and the leg drops about 40mm.and it seems that something else is holding on to it. it seems to be something to do with the gear change.Help if you can .

Kleyny
24-07-2009, 07:22 PM
yep the gear selector shaft is your culprit.

The few smaller outboards i have done impellers on had a cotter pin type bolt under the cowl to release the gear selector shaft.

neil

huiop1
30-07-2009, 04:59 PM
Thanks guys problem solved.Under the cowl is a lockink flap and when released the gear shift becomes free.