PDA

View Full Version : boat trailer brake cable options

tropicrows
22-07-2009, 01:18 PM
The brake cable on my trailer has rusted; it’s still quite safe but looks ordinary. I was going to replace it with a stainless steel one but have been told by a few people that’s not a good option ???.
I know stainless steel can work harden, and if worked enough will break, but surely this is not going to happen in this case. A stainless steel cable the same size as a steel one is stronger in the first place.

Has anyone used a stainless steel cable and had it break/snap on them.

bigjimg
22-07-2009, 02:33 PM
The FMS trailer i know of with a Riptide sitting on it is 5yrs old now with stainless brake cable fitted with no problems.I was checking it out the other day as i want to fit stainless on mine as well.Plenty of stainless rigging on yachts with all kinds of stress happening there without drama, so can't see the difference.Jim

boatboy50
22-07-2009, 02:59 PM
Hey Guys,

I used some steering cable that is used to run through pulleys, the small stuff.

It is stainless steel wire covered with a plastic coating a couple of mm thick, and will provide all the protection you need. It was about $3 per metre from memory, and worth every penny.

Stainless steel wire is frowned upon because it stretches differently to gal cable, and needs to be re-tightened up regularly.

I had no problems in thousands of km's, and a few years of ownership.

Regards

Darren

cormorant
22-07-2009, 05:15 PM
The covered stuff should never be used as it is not able to be visually inspected for damage. They have baned it for racing yachts safety rails for that reason.

There are different grades of stainless wire , different consructions and thimbles must be used at terminations. Drop in to a yacht rigging shop and they will have plenty of used stuff used as yacht halyards ( or take their advice).

If your trailer doesn't have cable supports as the cable comes forward the weight of the stainless may cause teh brakes to drag if your return springs aren't strong.

Like with everything in theory get rated cable or buy it from a trailer manufacturer as if there is an insurance drama because your trailer brakes fail it can get nasty. Propper gal stuff lasts ages even if it doesn't look that pretty.

dreemon
22-07-2009, 07:29 PM
I put s/st brake cables on my trialer 6 yrs ago, they still look and work great

Getout
23-07-2009, 08:19 AM
Gal cable handles flexing better than SS and its cheaper. 7 x 7 strand stainless in 304 grade will do the job for trailer brakes, providing it is thick enough and has suitable terminals (not dog clamps).
Yachts use SS wire almost exclusively. If it is good enough to hold a mast up, it will pull on a couple of brake calipers on a 2tonne trailer.

SgBFish
23-07-2009, 08:55 AM
I have plastic coated galvanised on mine and it has lasted well.

tropicrows
23-07-2009, 10:00 AM
Thanks guys, stainless steel it it.

cormorant
23-07-2009, 10:02 AM
Gal cable handles flexing better than SS and its cheaper. 7 x 7 strand stainless in 304 grade will do the job for trailer brakes, providing it is thick enough and has suitable terminals (not dog clamps).
Yachts use SS wire almost exclusively. If it is good enough to hold a mast up, it will pull on a couple of brake calipers on a 2tonne trailer.

If you don't use dog terminals what do you use?

Assume dog terminals you mean u bolts?

Haji-Baba
23-07-2009, 10:41 PM
Just be aware that S.S. cable will work harden and can let you down.

Most standing yacht rigging is S.S. but not running through pulleys.

Any winch or working wire cable should be Gal.

Another reason is that when Gal. does rust, as it will, you will be obliged to replace it.

You won't get that warning withh S.S.

Have fun Haji-Baba

FNQCairns
23-07-2009, 10:53 PM
I now only use stainless again after a cheap-out interlude with some gal wire over cord, never again, I also use the next diameter up...never a problem so far.

cheers fnq