PDA

View Full Version : Goldie charter report Tuesday

Platitudinus
22-07-2009, 08:20 AM
Hi Guys;
Well the fish are really firing up on the 36's as our charter bagged out on snapper pretty quickly yesterday NE of the Seaway. We then went out to the 50's to try for some big pearlies and met the worst of all nightmares "Leatherjackets"! Huge buggers they were (kept 3) and they snipped our hooks off very quickly. We thought they had stayed away in Sydney but no - the plague is coming up here now. Anyone else finding the Leatherjackets closer inshore yet?

Having lost about 10 sets of hooks and sinkers in 20 minutes we went back to the 36's further North of where we started and hit the Trag, Parrot fish and even more snapper (most went back but the skipper and deckie got a feed as well). For every snapper we kept, at least the same number went back. Funny thing was that 60% of them were between 34 and 37cms and even the floatlines had problems getting any quality fish up - best went about 3.5kg. Quite a few pearlies on the 36's as well but mostly undersized.

Quite a few whales around and pods of dolphins sneaking around the boat for throw backs.
Hope that helps.
Plato

bondy99
22-07-2009, 09:40 AM
G'day Platitudinus,

Leatherjackets, mate I'd would have gladly traded pearl perch for leather jacket any day.

What charter operator did you go with, was is Sea Probe Charters?

Goldfinch
22-07-2009, 10:31 AM
Yep, we lost 6 rigs and over 200metres of braid on Sunday at the 50's. Caught some good fish but it was expensive. In no rush to re-visit for a while.

Similar story with the snapper. Our biggest went 3kg and tonnes of little tackers.

Cheers
dave

bondy99
22-07-2009, 12:35 PM
200 Metres of braid lostl!!

Sorry to hear about it Dave

I lost 500 Metres of 1001b braid, now that was an adventure and a half, but still went back for more.

The more you go the better the chances of landing a good one.

Must be in my blood

Peter

Platitudinus
22-07-2009, 08:16 PM
We went with 'Fish the Deep' as usual. Sea Probe was in the same area for most of the day.
Plato
PS: Leatherjackets may taste good but are still a bl**dy nuisance when you lose gear