PDA

View Full Version : Transom Step

harry_h01
22-07-2009, 08:13 AM
Transom Step

I am looking to install a step on the back of the boat to help when getting in and out.
My question is, do I drill right through the Transom and install the screws right through and then seal it off? Or do I screw straight into the Transom and seal it off?

I can see that it would be stronger drilling right through the Transom, but that then opens the door up for water ingress.

Any ideas please.

Harry

Luc
22-07-2009, 11:42 AM
Rather than screws I would use SS bolts with either lock nuts or 2 nuts for each bolt.

I would also be looking at fitting a small sheet on the inside of the transom to spread the load. You could use alluminium, plywood or the plastic used for the pads between the outboard & transom.

Luc

cormorant
22-07-2009, 12:10 PM
We have had transom steps before and they are next to useless unless you are a contortionist or your hull sits very dep in the water. Ladder be it a portable rope or fixed one that folds down work as does stepping on the motor cav plate.

Have a try before you bother as it is hard with your knee around your neck getting leverage to hop in.
If you are yalking just a foothold while you hop on the transom from shore or beach i still thonk a ladder is a better and safer option.

harry_h01
22-07-2009, 01:37 PM
Cormorant
I am looking for a step up when pushing off from the ramp etc.

I have tried a ladder and almost punched it through the hull

Yes my Transom sits low, so the step would give me something to step up onto and then into the boat.

I have wrecked my family jewels to many times trying to launch over the side, or slipping when I vault into the back after pushing off.

Harry

Luc
22-07-2009, 02:36 PM
I have a step with a folding ladder welded to the transom of my tinny. The aim was to use it when getting back aboard after a swim.

Complete waste of money as when I try to climb in over the back of the boat, that corner goes under water. I also get constant rattles from the ladder.>:(
I'm seriously thinking of cutting the whole thing off.

A folding ladder that can is hooked over the side works much better.:)

Not the same as having small step attached low down on your transom to stand on when pushing the boat off the ramp. I always push off from the bow but then mine is a pointy punt with fairly low sides and no bow rails to get in the way.

Rather than screwing/bolting, you could look at having it welded to the transom.

Luc

harry_h01
22-07-2009, 03:07 PM
Luc

Thnkas for the advice.

I have a glass boat

Harry

mowerman
22-07-2009, 04:18 PM
Hi Harry.

I have a 3 step ladder on the back of my old Haines. The third step folds up when not in use but I leave it off unless Im towing the kids around in the tube. Couple of bolts with wing nuts do the trick.
It has curved handles at the top and is perfect for pushing off and climbing aboard at the ramp.
Bolted right thru the transom with a piece of ply big enough and then some, to cover all the holes on the inside. Also used a lot of sikaflex.

Mate, Im at Alex Hills if you want to have a look.

Rod.

harry_h01
22-07-2009, 04:23 PM
Thanks Rod,

Might take you up on that when I get a free two minutes.

Harry