PDA

View Full Version : Getting use to driving Cats

maxi
20-07-2009, 05:05 PM
Hi,

IHave just purchased a Kevlacat 2400 and am use to driving a mono hull. So far it is scarring the crap out of me:o , I came in through the walls at Mooloolaba yesterday and nearly fell out of my seat as it appears to dig in with one hull when you turn or go accross a swell. In my Fisher platey it never leans over whether turning or side on to swell. I have heard all the cat owners say that once you have driven one you will never go back to a mono and I am hoping that is true as it will be an exspensive excersize otherwise. So I am looking for advice on how to drive it and wondering if it is possible to roll it or throw somebody out.
With so many cat lovers out there I am verry hopefull that I will get used to it and be loving it soon.

Cheers,
Greg

FNQCairns
20-07-2009, 05:45 PM
You need a tutor! I have driven a few cats over the years always for short period and never very often so didn't even get close learning to drive one, scared myself often.

cheers fnq

Grand_Marlin
20-07-2009, 06:39 PM
Yep, you need jsjomeone to sjhow you.

Wajedjo isj up there, Dean1 ventures thajt wajy

fjreajkjin kjey kjeepsj sjtickin >:(

Cheersj

Pete

finding_time
20-07-2009, 08:37 PM
Pete

Lol

Maxi

I came into mooloolaba sunday morning at full hammer and leaned just the way a mono does as i turned across the swell into the mouth;) And my 5.2 is way more tippy than your 2400!

Mate its just getting some instruction and spending hrs behind the wheel! For example before you made the turn across that little swell and into the river what you should have done was trim out your port motor and trim in your starboard one, this would lean you over onto the port hull and then when you made that turn to port you would have stayed leaning that way rather than leaning over on the starboard side aided by the swell as you did!

It becomes second nature after a while but getting someone who's done it before will help speed up the process!

Ian

ps. plenty of newby drive cats and i'm still yet to hear of a kc going over, you'll be fine!;)

sleepygreg
21-07-2009, 01:37 AM
They do take a bit of getting used to. Trim and throttle use are critical if you want them to behave like a mono. Some guys can NEVER get used to the way they handle. It took me quite a few outings in my brothers KC2400 to stop me from getting bruises on my thighs and hips due the 'active' nature of the hull when drifting. And the hull slap and vibration when slow trolling into a sea still drives me nuts. Coming through Combyuro when the pressure waves are nasty can be very scary the first few times you do it.....especially when you arent driving and you can reach out from the passenger seat and put your hand in the water....you think its going to tip over...but it doesnt. Have had it running along with one sponson clear out of the water...but it settles down. Have faith in the hull....its one of the best sea boats for its size on the market. Try and grab an experienced cat owner and take him fishing with you.....theres lots of little tips they can give you to make your day more enjoyable.

Greg

Noelm
21-07-2009, 08:55 AM
as long as you don't want to be an Ocean racer, then to drive a cat can be set and forget if you like, get the trim right and cruise away, the biggest tip is to remember that the trim works diagonaly, as in, the right hand motor will lift the left hand bow, so if you have the wind/swell from the rear right quarter, then trim the right hand motor up/out and the left hand in a bit and your set, from there you can fool around untill you are confident and your on your way to being a "boy racer" spraying all the monos as you fly by!!

Wahoo
21-07-2009, 10:55 AM
Maxi, they are a bit like a pussy cat..............mind of there own.............meeeooow

Daz

Dean1
21-07-2009, 08:43 PM
Mate you have yourself a fine hull there, dont think for a minute that youv made a bad move.

First few times in a cat can be nerving no doubt! It will not tip! In fact I bet if you tried to make it tip you would be suprised how hard it would be!

Practice digging a hull in a little bit more each time, pushing it harder each time and you soon get a feel of a cat hull working.

A following sea is where you really get to know your cat, this is where you can really blow the mono boys away once mastered ;)

You will fast learn how far you can push your boat, theres is definatly times when you have to pull the throttles back, it becomes instinct! And once you learn how to trim each hull ( left motor up pulls right hull up and opposite etc.) you will really start getting the most out of your KC.

In no time you will be looking back at now thinking gee I really didnt realize what a cat is capable of ;)

You reckon a 2400 feels tippy come for a spin in a 5.2 KC thats a totally different kettle of fish :o I find a 2400 very easy to drive after a 5.2 and im sure all 5.2 boys agree with that one.

Cheers.

Big G
21-07-2009, 09:16 PM
Thanks for your vote of confidence in the KC boats ....they sound a bit complex and scary to drive..... thankfully I have not had the pleasure.....looking at the picture of them they do appear to be a sharp looking hull with little boyancy up front. good luck.
Big G

finding_time
21-07-2009, 09:32 PM
Not complex at all BigG but as with all things in life getting the best out of anything requires a little extra effort;) !! Plenty of people drive 2400kc's as a set and forget boat and they go great , but with a little experience and thought they are incredible!!I'm sure that with a little trim even that Coke Can Cat of yours would be a reasonable boat!!!;D

Ian

Ps. if you do get the chance to drive one best let it pass by as the upgrade will be expensive!

Tangles
21-07-2009, 09:51 PM
the untippable boat?. where can i buy one;D

maxi
21-07-2009, 11:07 PM
Unreal. I'll go out and try some of your tips. thanks heaps.

Greg

bicko1
21-07-2009, 11:47 PM
one thing that is a bit hard to get use to when compaired to a mono is when it gets rough you will want to drop the nose down to get a better ride out of it, when driving a cat this will make it bite in and roll over. the trick is to get the nose up and drive as quickly as you safely can. This will be a bit scarey at first but once you get use to it you will never look at a mono again. With the nose up it creates a pocket of air under the boat that it rides on.

julian1
22-07-2009, 10:58 AM
The KC2400 is a gunnel walking cat but a very soft one at that, once you master it and get used to the trim tips trust me you will never go back to a mono unless going for a small tinnie or large game boat !!

Dean1
22-07-2009, 06:14 PM
Thanks for your vote of confidence in the KC boats ....they sound a bit complex and scary to drive..... thankfully I have not had the pleasure.....looking at the picture of them they do appear to be a sharp looking hull with little boyancy up front. good luck.
Big G They are not complex nor scary Big G.

KC's are the best all round performing cat ive been in, other cats may do possibly one thing better than a KC but wll suffer in another way ie: great in headsea but poor in a following or vice versa. No bouyancy probs up front either they have a great stance and great lift in the bow. I love heaps of different brand cats but I think KC's are a hard hull to beat. Deano.

hungry6
22-07-2009, 07:38 PM
Owned mine for 3 years now and I'm still learning new thing (maybe I'm just a slow learner), but they are safe and good boats, after plates monos, my knees are thanking me for getting the cat.

reefer
22-07-2009, 08:20 PM
Websters (F&B magazine) catalogue of catamarans (if they are still available) gives you loads of good tips and advice on how to drive a cat.

reefer
22-07-2009, 08:46 PM
The proper name of the magazine is 'powered cats of australia directory'

julian1
22-07-2009, 08:54 PM
The proper name of the magazine is 'powered cats of australia directory'

and i think the "powered cats of australia 2' is due at the end of August, looking forward to that one

Big G
22-07-2009, 09:36 PM
Hi Dean1,
I'm glad to hear that as all the bad talk from owners of KC's was as I thought a bit over the top. No well designed cat, even a coke can like mine could be that bad to drive. I must be dumb as my cat does not scare me or posess any demons I have to master or tame. I'm sure that KC's are great boats. My coke can has 2 large flooded kill tanks, two live plumbed bait tanks, full flush toilet and system, stand up shower, queensize bed, large ice box,pressure hot water system to shower and sink, 12v fridge, stove, full walk around lockable cab with tempered marine glass plus all the normal extras. The two 140hp 4 strokes don't require foils and running four blade props give super acceleration in rough water with a reasonable top speed of 35 knots.......

I'm sure KC's don't drive as bad as some members state otherwise they would not be so popular. A lot of dreams will be shattered if would be owners of cats keep hearing about the KC's unsubstantiated negative sea charastics. I have never driven a KC but they look the part and my guess is that they are being driven too gingerly and turns at speed need increased power to the inside engine to flatten the hull down. I agree that they should not be complex or scary to drive and I'm glad that you as a KC owner stated:"I love heaps of different brand cats but I think KC's are a hard hull to beat."

But as far as upgrading to a KC from an OMM .....finding- time IAN you need to look up the Oxford Dictionary for the meaning of upgrade.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/images/icons/icon7.gif

I love power cats and I love mono hulls, I have owned 28' bertrams, 26' blackfins, 5m stormcats, and now OMM 6m Jaycats...... loved them all.... but possibly the best fishing boat was the 26'Blackfin momo hull.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/images/icons/icon14.gif
Big G.

tin can marlin
22-07-2009, 10:13 PM
There is some great advice coming in on this one keep up the good work guys.

mirage
22-07-2009, 10:43 PM
As stated above Maxi, once you get used to working the trim a bit more than on a mono you'll love it. Don't despair, a few more hours on the water and getting your head around the trim working in the opposite sense (for each sponson), you'll be right. Don't worry, you won't roll it.

cormorant
22-07-2009, 11:14 PM
"I have never driven a KC but they look the part and my guess is that they are being driven too gingerly and turns at speed need increased power to the inside engine to flatten the hull down"

Now with counter rotating motors that works fine and it is a thrill to turn hard ( for a cat) and not lean out A lot of teh smaller cats don't have CR motors

They ain't designed to be a slalom machine.

finding_time
23-07-2009, 07:52 AM
"I have never driven a KC but they look the part and my guess is that they are being driven too gingerly and turns at speed need increased power to the inside engine to flatten the hull down"

Now with counter rotating motors that works fine and it is a thrill to turn hard ( for a cat) and not lean out A lot of teh smaller cats don't have CR motors

They ain't designed to be a slalom machine.

Took the word right out of my mouth Cormorant!;) ;) With the smaller ones we do that with trim and set the boat for the turn just before we get to it, As i stated earlier if you want to turn to port just trim out your port motor and trim in the starboard one, this will lean you over onto the port hull and you can make the turn at worst level and if do properly you'll lean to port as you turn to port!

Big G you can easily drive a little kc without playng with the trim all the time, my brother did it for years. But once you work out the benifits of little ajustments you'll never look back!

ian

Blackfin ? Really ? Only a single engine!:-[

business class
23-07-2009, 10:22 AM
Nathan are you there;) ??????? This is right up your alley hey, or are you still trying to get the water out of those pods;) :P ;D . If you fill up with water out on our trip i have a nice new DRY Hydrofield you can jump on::) ;) :P

Matty

CCDrifter
23-07-2009, 10:46 AM
Maxi
I am about 4 months ahead of you as far as converting to a KC2400. I am with you the first time I went for a run outside I though f&^%&^%what have I done. BUT 4 months down the track after a bit of tuition from Rafe at SM all is good now and am loving it. Stick with it mate and like mentioned by others try and go for a run with someone who has spent some hours steering one and you will be amazed at how far you can push it. Another point, faster you go better it gets which will come as you spend more time behind the wheel. Good luck PM me if you are ever down on the GC and I will try and go for a run with you and pass on the little I have learnt so far.

Nathan

business class
23-07-2009, 11:10 AM
Maxi
I am about 4 months ahead of you as far as converting to a KC2400. I am with you the first time I went for a run outside I though f&^%&^%what have I done. BUT 4 months down the track after a bit of tuition from Rafe at SM all is good now and am loving it. Stick with it mate and like mentioned by others try and go for a run with someone who has spent some hours steering one and you will be amazed at how far you can push it. Another point, faster you go better it gets which will come as you spend more time behind the wheel. Good luck PM me if you are ever down on the GC and I will try and go for a run with you and pass on the little I have learnt so far.

Nathan

Yeah that would be right, don't worry about mat wanting to go for a run hey, you just keep taking out strangers. at least you know who my mates are;)

TJ Bear
23-07-2009, 09:41 PM
Your not the only one who thinks the Blackfin 26 is one of the best fishing boats for its size Big G. I fished on the old Team Shimano 26 Blackfin and it was an absolute dream to drive and fish from one of my all time favorite boats.

Lovey80
24-07-2009, 03:58 AM
Hey Big G any pics of your layout available? Would be good to see a full review by you for other potential owners?

Cheers

Chris

rat_catcher
25-07-2009, 12:05 AM
Hey Big G any pics of your layout available? Would be good to see a full review by you for other potential owners?
Yeah I would like to see some details and pics too. Thanks.

Big G
25-07-2009, 05:51 PM
Hi,
I don't want to break the thread on learning to driving cats.
Yes my jaycat6000 does have cr props' so I use throttle on the inside engine to hug down tight on hard fast turns... don't have to touch trim at all.

as for some photos' of the Jaycat... I have a few that may give you an idea of a great cat that works extreemly well. Extended tunnel gives completly mist free cabin , dry engines and great lift out out of water where the engine weight is.( no need for foils). planing plank full length of pontoons gives improved boyancy to reduce laying down at the front. Works a treat. Very improved design compared to a lot of power cats, makes this cat very tame to handle compared to similar size cats with 140's on the back.(still has wot speed of 35knots)

will try to upload photos' of cabin layout later.

John Buoy
26-07-2009, 09:24 AM
Nice boat Big G
Having been involved in alloy cats most of my life from
16-25ft the one thing that stands out is the ease on which they
can be handled and turned compared to a glass cat.

Most alloy cats ride high on the surface which can be both good and bad
in certain situations.

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/3585/hummingbird19wildcat.jpg (http://img338.imageshack.us/i/hummingbird19wildcat.jpg/)
19ft wildcat twin 140 yammys speed machine.
Please excuse the gantry photo taken 18yrs ago Eden gantry

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/9126/theegdge25ftwildcat.jpg (http://img36.imageshack.us/i/theegdge25ftwildcat.jpg/)

25ft Wildcat twin 200 yammys fibreglass hardtop folding stainless bridge.

Both handled exactly the same turns where no fuss without trim
just simply power inside motor similar ext tunnel to
yours making backing up on big fish a breeze as it would help in lift.

Have fun with her Big G regards Frank

arvor
27-07-2009, 04:10 PM
hi all have a look at the hull truth.and there is a post on there about instructions on driving the world cat.very good points for you cat owners on here.maybe someone could copy it and post it on here.im not to clever with this computer.and good luck with your new 2400 that is a fine vessel.
gary.

Noelm
28-07-2009, 08:30 AM
funny thing about the yanks, they have not taken to Cats too well at all, I guess because lots of boats have more motors on them than passengers (maybe) I don't think I would be taking too much from the hulltruth myself, been a member for years, and still get emails from guys over there asking about cats and stuff.

dickiebabe
28-07-2009, 06:20 PM
Hi,
I don't want to break the thread on learning to driving cats.
Yes my jaycat6000 does have cr props' so I use throttle on the inside engine to hug down tight on hard fast turns... don't have to touch trim at all.

as for some photos' of the Jaycat... I have a few that may give you an idea of a great cat that works extreemly well. Extended tunnel gives completly mist free cabin , dry engines and great lift out out of water where the engine weight is.( no need for foils). planing plank full length of pontoons gives improved boyancy to reduce laying down at the front. Works a treat. Very improved design compared to a lot of power cats, makes this cat very tame to handle compared to similar size cats with 140's on the back.(still has wot speed of 35knots)

will try to upload photos' of cabin layout later.
G'Day Big G,

I'm a Newby to the threads but find them very interesting, I'm looking to buy a new Cat and have looked at Leisure Cat "Brumby 6000" $80k WA, "Markham Dominator" 5.6 $75k NSW, and OMM "Jay Cat 6000" $95k QLD. The Jay Cat looks a top boat, but $15 - $20k more is a lot of freight, it would have to be a whole lot better to warrant that kind of money, you seem happy with it.

finding_time
28-07-2009, 06:47 PM
G'Day Big G,

I'm a Newby to the threads but find them very interesting, I'm looking to buy a new Cat and have looked at Leisure Cat "Brumby 6000" $80k WA, "Markham Dominator" 5.6 $75k NSW, and OMM "Jay Cat 6000" $95k QLD. The Jay Cat looks a top boat, but $15 - $20k more is a lot of freight, it would have to be a whole lot better to warrant that kind of money, you seem happy with it.

Dickiebabe

Have you seen the thread on leisure cats that i've linked to?? Worth the read i reckon!

Ian
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=139460