PDA

View Full Version : Kingy, Pearlies, Parrot and Lost Braid!!

Goldfinch
20-07-2009, 04:14 PM
Headed out through the Seaway with 2 mates on Sunday at 5.30am along with the rest of the Gold Coast after having to park the trailer 4 blocks away from Labrador boat ramp!!!!! Picked up some livies and headed to a mark on the 50's and on the first drop all three of us nailed Pearlies. Good start but that was it for that spot. Headed south a bit for a couple of Squire to 45cm and a solid Parrot at 55cm. Headed Nth and got bricked by what was most likely a BIG Kingy. Then put a livie down on the Tyrnos with 80lb braid and 60lb leader and got smashed again, 2/0 Grrrrrr. Kept doing the same drift and nailing some good size Squire to 50cm then dropped a knife jig into a bait ball and after a couple of winds got nailed. A good 10 minute fight and up from 70metres comes a 7kg Kingy. Then something strange started happening. Our lines kept getting severed in mid water by something. No bites, no tugging just Ping and no weight. We lost 6 rigs and over 200m of braid. We moved!!!

Has anyone experienced this before?

Went to the 36's and nailed a couple more Squire and then called it a day.

Thanks to the D***H**D who smashed my rear lights on the trailer and too the W*****s who park in the Trailer parks without a Trailer. Gold Coast needs more parking facilities. Glad Manly isn't like that.

Other than that....awesome day on the water and a great mix of fillets.

Just the one picture below. Too busy fishing !!!

Cheers
Dave

outwide1
20-07-2009, 04:30 PM
Not a bad day and the weather looks really good hence the 30 thousand boats out.Sounds like you may of been losing your rigs and braid to the leather jackets maybe just a guess.Welldone!OUTWIDE1.

Long Shot
20-07-2009, 09:22 PM
Yep, heard the leatheries were thick on the 50 fathom grounds. A couple of years back it was the same to the point where the sinkers were coming back with bites out of them>:(

snapperbasher
20-07-2009, 09:34 PM
yeah i would say leatherjackets for sure!!

mongerel things

1lastcast
21-07-2009, 08:45 AM
Yep i was out there sunday to jigging lost $200 in jigs , i found the kings and ajs where near the bottom and midwater was definately leatherjackets i caught a couple we even lost a couple of the jigs on the drop they were all along the 70-80m line we went 10 miles south and couldnt shake them but we moved in to 60m and lost them just as well as we only had a couple of jigs left oh well thats fishin !

robsue
21-07-2009, 09:05 AM
dave
i have found the manly ramp also has a lot of cars parking in car/boat parking on sundays, market days
about time warning signs were in place and fines being handed out, we boaties pay boat and trailer rego to pay for these facilities, if there wasnt a boat ramp there, there wouldnt be the parking

trueblue
21-07-2009, 10:10 AM
there certainly were some clowns on the ramp there Sunday

no wonder ramp rage erupts now and then

Goldfinch
21-07-2009, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I told a mate of mine yesterday about the severed lines and he suggested it might have been leatherjackets. Buggers !!! Glad I didn't lose any jigs.

Fortunately I didn't experience any ramp rage. We didn't come back in til after dark and it was pretty quiet by then.

Teachnthekids
21-07-2009, 12:47 PM
Definitley Jackets or toads - the jackets are that thick down here at the moment it is not funny we also lost 4 jigs to them on Sunday!>:(

bondy99
22-07-2009, 12:41 PM
I've never lost a rig to a leatherjacket yet, always manage to catch them. But then again I use heavy stuff. 100 lb braid and 1001b jinkai lead.

If they can get through that then they have armoured teeth.

Peter

Goldfinch
22-07-2009, 04:27 PM
The buggers cut through my 80lb braid like a razorblade.

honda900
22-07-2009, 04:48 PM
dave,

you would have been upset at manly on sunday, the southern side carpark had 2 rows of boats and trailer, and 5 rows of cars in the boat trailer parks, it was so full that 2 boaties parked their trailers in the tie down area at the top of the ramp.

Regards
Honda.

Iceman R
22-07-2009, 05:27 PM
Sounds like a good days fishing dave! fantastic by my standards...;) lol so much to learn!!

Am only pretty new to all this but I am amazed at how many clowns I see at the ramp.... and I dont mean the circus kind.. lol

Always_offshore
22-07-2009, 06:05 PM
if you lost the line halfway,i,m guessing it would be toads,been losing plenty of braid myself.lots of baby toads in the guts of the fish im bringing onboard.

robsue
23-07-2009, 01:18 PM
obviously bondy doesnt know a lot about braid, it doesnt take a lot to cut braid, a lot less than the same breaking strain with mono........
cheers
Robin

Travesso
23-07-2009, 01:27 PM
Definitely leatherjackets were thick on Sunday! I was at the 50s off Tweed. I caught one but had many a hook cut clean off my patternoster rigs without even a decent tug on the line! Oh well, my old man took his revenge when he sat down for dinner on sunday night! ;)

Jurkyjj
23-07-2009, 04:35 PM
Good Effort anyway mate.
As said, sounds like the leatheries.
Better luck next time.

Cheers, Jason

bondy99
23-07-2009, 10:06 PM
obviously bondy doesnt know a lot about braid, it doesnt take a lot to cut braid, a lot less than the same breaking strain with mono........
cheers
Robin

Robin,

I've been using braid for abit over 30 years and have caught marlin twice on braid and 14ft tiger shark. Also tested platypus braid against Spiderwire of the same breaking strain on a special testing machine....braid did not break but spiderwire did..before platypus braid.

The only time I've lost braid is when I cut the bugger with a knife not by a fish or coral

Cheers, Peter