PDA

View Full Version : Cobia Magic

Tim_N
20-07-2009, 10:47 AM
Got a call from a couple of old fishing mates on Saturday, "take us out again like we used to in the olden days". Righto, the weather is going to be great tomorrow, so how about an afternoon trip out to the old stomping grounds we used to fish 15+ years ago. I liked the look of the bigger flooding late afternoon tide, so the plan was hatched......and it was going to be a SP trip also.
Met the lads at the ramp at high noon and headed out to the old secret spot which isn't so secret anymore, there were about 9 boats in the area, but none where we wanted to fish, so we fished a little wider trying for our target species, Snapper, but only 1 x 25 cm model came onboard for 3 guys casting.
By mid afternoon, all the boats had headed back into Bribie, Caloundra or Mooloolabah so we went over to the mark of choice. By this stage the tide was running nicely, perhaps a little too quick to fish SP's successfully, so we anchored up to work a small patch.
The 2 mates had not done offshore SP'ing before and wondered how it would work and what technique to use. The good old dead sticking works fine, and just as I was trying to explain that it wasn't uncommon for a Cobia to grab a 7" Nuclear Chicken fished floater style, Cookies rod gets smashed and line starts roaring off. Cookie was using my Egrell Bear S6 with the Daiwa Heartland 3000, 15 lb braid and 20 lb leader, and this thing is going and going. Hendo cleared the decks, and I set about getting the anchor up (which I had just put down) because this thing was heading south rapidly. Using only a 20 lb leader, you always run the risk of getting rubbed off by the raspy mouth of a Cobia, so up anchor and let's get some line back.
About 500 m away from our mark, I get a gaff shot at the Cobia, so I hit him and hit him hard and dragged the beast over the side. Holy smokes, that was 1 good fish, especially on that gear, well done Cookie. I go to weigh it on my 15 kg Bogar Grips and it bottoms out easily, we call it for 17 to 18 kg. I put my hand, wrist and part of my forearm down its gob to retrieve the SP and unbeliveably, there isn't a mark on the 20 lb leader. Go figure. The Gulp is still in prime condition too, gotta get lucky now and then.
After high 5's, bleeding the fish and rearranging the boat, we decide to head back to the mark, drop the pick and enjoy the rest of the afternoon.
We get back to the mark and first drop a nice sized Yakka comes over the side. So quickly I rig my new split grip Egrell Bear S10H/Certate 3500 outfit with a live bait snood rig and feed it out the back, while the boys get about continuing with their SP's.
The livie hadn't hit the bottom when things tighten up and oh no, here we go again.
The S10H is a stick with loads of grunt, and although the 30 lb braid was doing it fair share of singing, we didn't have to up anchor, I could fight it from the anchored boat. In less than 10 minutes a horse of a Cobia is boatside and Cookie sinks the gaff in and hauls or second fish of the afternoon. This one is larger than the first by some distance as the pics will show, so we call it for 20 kg or so. Not 100% sure, but it was a big bugger. The Bear S10H was designed with big fish in mind and it was amazing how much hurt I could apply to the fish if I needed to.
In the box it went and the call was to get out of there asap, a Snapper would have been good, but the idea of getting another monster wasn't so good.
Left them there and were back at the boat ramp just on dark.
Now that's a good afternoon out with a couple of old mates.
Here's a couple of pics, sorry about the quality, should have used the flash to fill in, anyway, you get the idea.
Tim

Crisp Bee
20-07-2009, 10:53 AM
Tim, Thanks for the report. That sure is a Nice Couple of Cobia. Well done

MICHAELG
20-07-2009, 10:54 AM
well done Timmy great effort- geez must be nice to live so close to good fishing spots.

I see you have some new Led deck lights- look like the same type i bought yet to install . because they shoot a straighish beam do you bend the back plate at all?

gibbo

Jeremy
20-07-2009, 11:21 AM
thanks for the report. Some very nice cobes there and from a small boat too!

Jeremy

Tim_N
20-07-2009, 11:38 AM
Gibbo,
The LED's I bought are on a swivel base. I just pop riveted the mount plate to the existing bracket and used the existing wiring to.
Thanks Jeremy, it's a 4.5m boat, but yesterday you could have gone out there in a canoe. I sometimes think it is easier to catch big fish from a small boat, there isn't as many things to get hung up on or wrapped around. Also, being a small centre console, you can easily fish 360'.
Tim

goggles
20-07-2009, 12:07 PM
Well done on a couple of cracking fish. Great way to spend a Sunday afternoon. Wayno

saltchaser
20-07-2009, 12:08 PM
God report tim nice cobes.

Wahoo
20-07-2009, 12:09 PM
good stuff Tim, what a cracker of a cobe,

Daz

skipalong
20-07-2009, 05:33 PM
top work tim i didnt get your message till last night as i was still wide of noosa late arvo will shoot you a pm soon

cheers justin

jtpython
20-07-2009, 05:47 PM
Bloody nice sized fella's there congrates ............. Awesome chewing
JT

Tim_N
21-07-2009, 11:20 AM
I didn't get to do any chewing JT, I gave the lads 1 fish each to take home, they were stoked.
Geez those Cobia leave lots of blood around the boat, messy but worth it.
Tim

Creek Vermin
21-07-2009, 03:06 PM
On ya timmy. Good to see cooky gettin amongst some drag pullers. Looks like a top day with a few beers thrown in, no doubt.
Cheers. Keith

Tim_N
21-07-2009, 03:37 PM
No doubt Keith, yep a good afternoon and plenty of laughs too. I've still got those HM SP's for you at work and also a box of the big red/black shads too.
Next time you're in town come and grab them.
Tim

uglyfish
21-07-2009, 04:39 PM
would give my left leg to know where u ot them cobs at mate,were u far offshore?

Jurkyjj
21-07-2009, 06:02 PM
Great fish and great report Tim.
Superb cobia.
They are certainly one of the best fighting fish.
They really pack some punch.

Great effort guys!!!

Jason.

DALEPRICE
21-07-2009, 09:00 PM
top stuff tim
great read
cheers dale

Tim_N
22-07-2009, 08:54 AM
Thanks everyone,
I can't give too much away, the mark isn't mine, it belongs to the old fat fella in the pic and he has it on his handheld GPS. Out of respect for the guy, I didn't ping the mark or even turn my unit on.
All I can say is it was in the middle of nowhere on fairly non desript ground with a rise of about 1 to 2 meters, but it held bait. It's the old story, find the bait and you will find the fish.
Tim

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
22-07-2009, 09:51 AM
Nice rod, nice reel, nice outboart brand, nice flanel shirt, nice smile and nice cobia,,,,oh,, a nice day too by the looks. Cheers, the photos say enough for me. Thanks. Johnny.

Fisher-Too
22-07-2009, 10:19 AM
Awesome Cobies Tim and great local report, nothin like sparkin up old friendships then a great day out on the water, and good onya for sharing the catch the way you did, they will be talking about it for the next 15years ha ha ha, well done mate, cheers Mick

Fishbait
23-07-2009, 07:34 PM
Nice work Tim - good to see the Cobia back in town early. I thought they were back next month? Cheers, Darren

Travesso
24-07-2009, 07:56 AM
Top effort Tim! Those are some horse cobia for those outfits, musta been loads of fun! :D I've only ever caught 1 cobe and it is still the biggest fish I've ever caught at 1200 long (didnt weigh it) but I wasnt in much risk of losing it on a 15kg stroker with a TLD25 full of 40LB mono ;)

I'm heading to Bribie this weekend for a wedding but decided not to take the boat (a fair mission from Tweed). Besides if the fishing was good, I know I'd miss the wedding completely! hahaha...

Tim_N
24-07-2009, 10:08 AM
Hi Darren,
The Cobia were here for an early run about 6 to 8 weeks ago, then disappeared, and have now returned. Well they have in this particular spot anyway.
The water temp out there was 18.6'C so it was perfect for a Snapper or 3, but the return of the Cobia was a welcome change.
Tim

Live4Fishin
25-07-2009, 10:03 AM
Some beautiful fish there Tim, im tired of sitting at home reading reports:'(

It just makes me want to get out more and more, iv gotta get my boat finished asap;)

Frank OO
28-07-2009, 05:58 PM
Hi Tim,

I thought I was the first person (Except for Deb) to have an S10H split grip but it looks like you beat me to it.

I can't wait to give it a go. Well done on the cobes mate. I am afraid you may have to shove over a little bit this weekend.

See you on the water Tim.

Frank OO

Iceman R
28-07-2009, 07:29 PM
Good stuff Tim! A couple of good cobes there mate. Luv the way you told the story too..... ;) lol

RAT-KING
28-07-2009, 10:47 PM
Well done great report and a great pair of cobes!
Cheers Simon

Tim_N
29-07-2009, 02:07 PM
Frank, The bigger tides midweek next week make for good fishing I reckon, far from the maddening crowd too. If this weather holds, I'll be giving Erics new wind-on's a bit more of a trial. Tough job that!
Tim