PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Winch Question

yellahunter
19-07-2009, 07:42 PM
Hey guys,

I have a question about the winch on my dunbier trailer,

basically i had an electric motor mount put on my boat which is great,
However...when i drop the boat off the trailer at any sort of an angle the winch smacks into the motormount or electric motor.

Does anyone have any suggestions on this...?

am i able to set the winch so the handle is on the opposite side?
or is there something else you guys suggest,

any info is appreciated here.

Cheers,

Ben

yellahunter
19-07-2009, 07:46 PM
heres a couple of pics to better show what im on about,

Heath
19-07-2009, 07:55 PM
Just turn the winch around.... all it will mean is that you'll wind backwards on the left hand side.

krazyfisher
19-07-2009, 08:02 PM
a winch with a removable handle

Chimo
19-07-2009, 08:04 PM
Hi Ben

Most winchs have the handle this side.

Maybe you can solve the problem by quitting the winch you have and replace it with an electric powerwinch eg 912 or a smaller unit depending on your boat weight, the steepness of the ramps you use and your budget.

If the handle on what you have was one of the removable kind you could also have used an extension shaft on the handle so you wind it from a foot or so off to the side. Not an ideal way to go and probably not an option in this case as the handle looks like its fixed anyway.

Cheers
Chimo

yellahunter
19-07-2009, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the tips so far guys,
definately some good info,

Hey Heath,
I spun the winch around and bolted it back on,
see the pics below....is that what you mean..?
there are a few possible issues, the back bolts come pretty close to the turning circles on the winch. see the pic.
also the strap which connects to the bow of the boat will have to run over one or another section of the winch, also seen in the pic.
any info there..? does it look ok you think..?

re the removable winch handles,
i cant see that mine comes off, but even if i had a winch with one i dont think i would be able to release the boat into the water without a handle..?

not too sure about going electric at this stage.
its only a 14ft tinny,

any more info is much appreciated,

Cheers guys,

Ben

yellahunter
19-07-2009, 08:41 PM
heres the pics

cormorant
19-07-2009, 09:40 PM
Hard to see from photos but another 2 options to try.

Mount winch upside down under mount plate

Turn complete winch and winch fitting upside down on the winch post.

may give you the room.

Both will depend on angles

finga
20-07-2009, 07:30 AM
I have an easy solution.
Put all the winch back to original and lower the plate the winch is on so the roller sits on the bottom of the winch eye plate (is that right?) instead of the roller being on top.
That will get you about 3 inches more clearance. Is that enough??
The strap will be on top of the V roller. Not underneath.
As a side not... I like the roller or block or whatever you use on the bottom of the little plate..don't know why. Just do.
You mightl have to slide the winch post a smidge too to counteract the lowering
Cheers Scott :)

bigjimg
20-07-2009, 05:15 PM
Gidday
Leave the winch where it originally was.Looks like your winch is left and right handed.Just get a pin punch and knock out the pins in all three shafts,the Drum the handle and the ratchet bars and rehand them on the other side of the frame as there will be identical holes there for the spring setup on the ratchet.The bushings will all stay where as is.Jim;)