PDA

View Full Version : Pearler of a day

Captain Seaweed
19-07-2009, 07:02 PM
Hello Fellas,
Left Raby Bay with most of SE QLD boaties and hit the Cathedral Reef. Caught a few just legal squire and kept these even though there is a 40 min rule on the boat. We were concerned the glassed out conditions would ruin the fishing and we wanted some fish for tea. Must have been a Moreton Bay Trailer Boat Club social as the 27 Meg ran hot. I heard a few Ausfish reulars mentioned Whynot and seadog. Anyway headed to Flat rock where fisheries was doing a sniper exercise with a IRB on people fishing the green zone and managed to bag out on good pearlies. Best fish went 52cm most averaged 40-45. Great day out, lots of bait schools just off Flinders and a heap of Yellow Tail kingies at the FAD. Hope everyone enjoyed the day out, best I have had in a few months.
Opened the guts up in a pearlie and noticed 10 toadfish in its belly kind of wierd I thought and was concerned about eating it but still alive at the moment. I have attached a few piccies.

Marty

Lucky_Phill
19-07-2009, 07:06 PM
Thanks Marty.

We were north of you.

Phill

Captain Seaweed
19-07-2009, 07:07 PM
pics , I am having trouble uploading for some reason.

Captain Seaweed
19-07-2009, 07:09 PM
Thanks Marty.

We were north of you.

Phill

Phil were you at Flat rock with that group of boats or at the 36ers?

Lucky_Phill
19-07-2009, 07:15 PM
Nah, further nth. up at the 35's and 37's.

Phill

Jeremy
19-07-2009, 07:16 PM
heap of Yellow Tail kingies at the FAD.

You mean the wave rider, or is there another FAD out that way?
At least you got a feed and nice day on the water anyway.

Jeremy

Captain Seaweed
19-07-2009, 07:26 PM
Nah, further nth. up at the 35's and 37's.

Phill

How did you go Phil?

Captain Seaweed
20-07-2009, 07:06 AM
Hello Jeremy, Yes the waverider.

lampuki
20-07-2009, 11:30 AM
My dad caught one of those toad fish, and as he brought it up, several of his mates where following him up...and they started to jump....jumping toad fish?

goggles
20-07-2009, 12:15 PM
Nice bag Captain, they who didnt own a boat if not at Raby bay were at Vicy point. Wayno

lido76
20-07-2009, 01:07 PM
Nice feed marty some good pearlys in that lot good to see someone taking advantage of the good days when they roll around. I haven't had the boat in the drink since fraser work has been too busy maybe next week. What were the conditions like out there yesterday?
Cheers Brendan........

Swindells
20-07-2009, 02:02 PM
Very strange about those toadies, I didn't think they had any natural predators. is there anyone who might know why a pearlie would feed on them? was it just the one that you found them in?

Swindells.

Captain Seaweed
20-07-2009, 05:59 PM
Brendan, Conditions were ureal. A slight breeze 1-3 knots ever so slight small swell about 0.7m fishing was great for my marks. I should have done an overnighter as this day was the best this year I have had. Whales everywhere, No bar and fishing went well. I did pull more of the bigger Pearlies up after but already had my quota. Brendan your welcome to come out on my next trip if your free, cant guarantee the same fish or conditions unfortunately.

Swindells,
Yes only 1 fish had a very full gut of toadfish. I did id them myself and could be wrong, but the skin on them matched and they had beaks. Maybe he made a mistake and was comitting hurry kurry to get rid of the pain in his guts!!

Cheers Fellas
Marty
ps And to hate to think of what today was like...I saw the ocean and it was better than yesterday :(

nickstock
20-07-2009, 09:50 PM
Toadies become prey items more often then people think, I know of quite a few species of fish that have had them in their gut contents.

Good report too mate!

Nick

Jurkyjj
24-07-2009, 09:10 PM
Good Effort there mate.
Thanks