PDA

View Full Version : Jigging Comp in NZ

GPB
18-07-2009, 03:47 PM
I spent some time at the start of the month in NZ at a Jigging Comp fished out of the Tauranga GFC, the 93 Jiggers in nearly 30 boats fished from the Coromandel to East Cape.
I had a great time as in top [but cold] weather we fished White Island, an active volcano 25 miles out to sea where I also jigged last Xmas. Only prize size fish were kept to be weighed then sent to the smoke house, although the Rat Kingies were released we also lost some biggies to Bronzies, the 2 heads in the pics weighed in at 13 & 14kg, they went to the pot as well ;D .

leelee
18-07-2009, 05:15 PM
Looks like you had a great time.

Some awsome fish there as well.

I went over a few months ago and we had a great time over there on the kings jigging, so good in fact we are goign back net year.

Cheers

Lee

deepfried
18-07-2009, 05:30 PM
I cant imagine how hard they would pull. The guys on the right with the head must be gutted. Looks like it would have pulled the scales down if it wasnt taxed. Nice fish.

tailorboi99
18-07-2009, 05:57 PM
Ripper trip by the sounds of it, unlucky about the lost fish due to the toothies. What LB gear are you using there, 80?

Thanks Tom

Pistol_P
18-07-2009, 07:10 PM
Nice Greg

That Cam on the right..???.....Thats a BIG head he is holdiing...That would have been a great king.

Catch up with you soon.

Pete

GPB
18-07-2009, 07:31 PM
I cant imagine how hard they would pull. The guys on the right with the head must be gutted. Looks like it would have pulled the scales down if it wasnt taxed. Nice fish.

On a scale they use for head/body ratio the full fish was about 40kg

GPB
18-07-2009, 07:42 PM
Nice Greg

That Cam on the right..???.....Thats a BIG head he is holdiing...That would have been a great king.

Catch up with you soon.

Pete

T99: 80-100 lb braid on all the deep jigging gear

Pete: Yeah mate that's Cam, he is wearing a few extra kilos from the Kiwi Kai:D .
I was talking to him this arvo at his work, 'Top Catch' Tauranga [NZ version of Tackle World], he said Roly his boss had pulled 15 Kingies
around the 20-25kg mark this afternoon ;D

Fish_gutz
18-07-2009, 07:43 PM
Looks like an awesome trip, how did you find the Surtees boats? seen a few come into Brisbane only to be taken to WA they look like a good boat.

Andrew

GPB
18-07-2009, 08:40 PM
I was in a 20ft+ WestCoaster and never had a run in the Surtees 5.5s. The owners plus Cam and the other crew recon they are top stuff, of coarse they would like a 6m+ for the long trips but as they do a lot of Snapper SP and close reef fishing they are spot on.
I was told they are the same as the Bar Crusher,

RAT-KING
19-07-2009, 12:10 PM
`Wow! That sounds like a great trip! But.....I dont think i would b fit enough its hard enough jigging without a 40kg rocket on the end of ur line!!!!

Jurkyjj
24-07-2009, 09:12 PM
Awesome Kingy there mate.
Great conditions. Never had the chance to fish over in NZ. looks like yo had fun.
Thanks for the report.