PDA

View Full Version : Ever wondered where your boat fittings come from??

finga
16-07-2009, 06:19 PM
I did a bit of a search for where bilge pumps are made (another thread) and come across this mob.

If you every wondered where your boat fittings come from look here
http://panu.manufacturer.globalsources.com/si/6007000441050/Showroom/3000000149681/ALL.htm
Amasing what they make and what manufacturers use their stuff as OEM :)
Cheers Scott :)

Tracker
16-07-2009, 06:32 PM
very interesting!

finding_time
16-07-2009, 06:44 PM
Those bilge pumps on page 7 certainly look like ruhles!

ian

oldboot
16-07-2009, 10:07 PM
I've got a few mates who import different stuff.. & aparantly the tiwanese & chineese trade shows are an eye opener.

One little back yard importer I know was bringing in 6x9 car speakers.......ask him what brand... he will say what brand would you like them to be.....there are 4 different sets of stickers in the box.

A mate went over there buying audio sockets...... he saw the same range of sockets on several "manufacturers" stands......it took him quite some time to find the truth about who actulay made them

Anothe bloke I know buys mechanics accessories... he can buy the same item from three local importers with different labels on.. or sometimes he brings in direct......then there are a couple of people who make absolutely identical items....and the importers buy from whoever has stock or can fill the order....different factories same badge and part number sold here as same same.

There is all this stuff and they all get each other to make it for them and then they sell it to various importers and major brands.

there might be one bloke in a littel shed with a CNC machine and he only make 5 different items... but all sorts of people buy that off him.

then there is this big factoray that actulay makes all sorts of stuff

but unless you realy know aht is going on over there you have absolutly no idea who actulay made that thing

Then you look in the original catalogues & we don't see half of it.

it realy is mind blowing

cheers

sleepygreg
17-07-2009, 02:20 AM
I have been trying to tell people the same thing on the tackle threads re reels. A visit to China a few years ago was an absolute eye opener.....they do NOT recognise patents or trademarks...they will copy anything and produce it to your specs/price.....you give them any object and ask them to copy and produce it...and you will have a prototype to approve within 24 hours....thats the way they operate. One of the factories in the tour had officials of both Daiwa and Shimano picking and chosing various things to be included in their 'new' range. You want a different colour...no probs...you want a special name...no probs....all comes down to price and volume of production. Thats the way it is...like it or not.

sparkyice
17-07-2009, 04:59 AM
i used to work for the company that made the Bendix starter drives for engines.
the bosses decided to outsource the manufacturing of the outer housings to india.
instead of sending them just the housing, they sent them the complete unit to use as a pattern.>:(

not too long after, these starter drives appeared on the market, identical to ours, but with a slight indent in the housing.
the indent formed when the original unit was dropped on the floor.
they just made it the same, adding the indent to their forming process.

Noelm
17-07-2009, 09:35 AM
indeedy you can get anything made to any standard or price, the Country does not really come into it, the buyer specifies the quality required, a place I used to work was a big supplier of batteries (like as insmall torch ones) and you could get standard old A C and D cells made at any price, they all looked the same, but the dear ones where very heavy and lasted ages, the real cheap ones where light as a feather and lasted about 10 mins, if you cut them open the cheap one was filled with packing in the bottom 2/3 of the case, you get cheaper if you liked, just add more filler, but they also made premium quality as well, so in essence, being "made in China" is not the end of the world in quality, it is just what you will pay for!

black runner
13-08-2009, 10:09 PM
Following on from Finga's post-

I was doing some research on the origin of Eastern fuel filters. It appears they are also sourced from Pan-U Taiwan who appear to be a manufacturer with a reasonable reputation and ISO 9001 certified. One of the few offshore manufacturers that can actually be found on the web and have a real address and contacts.

http://www.panutw.com/

Cheers

Mindi
14-08-2009, 08:24 AM
what a good thread....