PDA

View Full Version : Basa, Panga, Cobbler, Call It Whatever...

BobbyJ123
15-07-2009, 11:59 AM
Got this from another site.
Another reason to forego eating basa etc. (Vietnamese catfish)

http://www.dietmindspirit.org/2008/01/30/why-you-shouldnt-eat-this-fish-pangas-pangasius-vietnamese-river-cobbler-white-catfish-gray-sole/

Cheers, Bobj.

fisho85
15-07-2009, 12:56 PM
Cheers bob, Thats why the only time i buy seafood from the supermarket is for bait and even then some of the crap they sell i woulnt even use it for that. The only fish you should eat is the stuff you catch yourself that way you know it is fresh.

fisho85

stessco
15-07-2009, 05:11 PM
yuck dont want to eat them

NAGG
15-07-2009, 09:22 PM
Got this from another site.
Another reason to forego eating basa etc. (Vietnamese catfish)

http://www.dietmindspirit.org/2008/01/30/why-you-shouldnt-eat-this-fish-pangas-pangasius-vietnamese-river-cobbler-white-catfish-gray-sole/

Cheers, Bobj.

Thanks Bobby

Most unsavoury indeed

Curiously ...... don't we also use a derivative from the urine of pregnant women to help our barra spawn ?

Chris

Marlin_Mike
16-07-2009, 08:04 AM
Cheap nasty and why would you buy mit with all the great fish we have in our waters?

Mike

timddo
16-07-2009, 09:27 AM
I own a boat, so the only fish i buy is for bait or if the fish is alive.

etc farm barramundi - now who knows what has been feed to them. Everyone knows about the deformed fishes caught in the noosa river---

But if you were on the pension , have limited money

It's is a viable option. You pay for what you get.

Wasn't sydney Harbour full of nasty stuff that they had to ban eating fish caught from it.

We are quick to make judgments with out evidentual proof.

OH By the way. If on TV is says. It's been Lab tested. that does not mean a government department tested it. It's mostly like the company testing it themselves.

I wonder whats in our meat pies and sausgages

Marlin_Mike
16-07-2009, 01:53 PM
basa may be edible and wont kill you, but its still cheap nasty sh1te imported from dirty farms

Mike

Reel Nauti
16-07-2009, 06:28 PM
There's been a lot bantered about Basa, and Vietnamese fishing farmers feeding them throug the family dung hole, but do our health authorities really let this stuff in? Is it not subjected to some form of quality assurance process? I dont't know, and therefore ask the question in complete naievity (spelling)

Dave

Lucky_Phill
16-07-2009, 07:33 PM
Most quality concerns are aleviated by the " producers " providing a certificate of quality or control ".

That is, the fish farmers provide Biosecurity Australia with a document to say all is good, test done, all clear, nothing to worry about....etc etc. They pay Australia for the right to flog their filthy fish here and we ( general public ) lap it up coz we ( general public ) don't know any better.

We, ( fishoes ) know better.

We had this situation a while ago with " green frozen prawns " coming into our country and being used for bait...... once evidence of bacteria and ' germs " not being destroyed by the freezing system was found , these imports were stopped.

Free Trade.................... IMO.............. = a slow death of our agriculture, aquaculture, primary industry and fishery.

all IMO....

phill

tinman42
17-07-2009, 08:38 AM
Thanks Bob
I have always been a bit wary of imported Basa, but now I don't feel safe even walking past them in a window.
Interesting article, highly recommend everyone read it and pass on to friends.
cheers

Noelm
17-07-2009, 08:40 AM
not too sure why all the noise about buying fish from a Fish Market, I fish and have plenty of fresh fish, but I still buy stuff from the Fish Market, we have probably the best Fish Retailer in Australia about 5 mins from me and I buy from them all the time, like it is not too often I can catch King Prawns from Mooloolaba near me (southern NSW) so I buy them, don't go catching too many Scallops either, so I buy them, never head of an Atlantic Salmon being caught here either, so, I buy them, do not confuse a dodgey Supermarket or an crooked Fish market with a quality supplier, two completely different things, now that I have had my whinge (been a bit slack lately) I will get back on track, Basa is probably a bit dodgey, but it is good for cooking in Thai/Indian dishes that has the fish cooked for a while in some sort of sauce, it stays together well, I knew about it being Catfish years before it as ever exposed!

onerabbit
18-07-2009, 11:00 PM
There is no way that i would EVER buy a frozen hunk of Bassa from Woolies and bring it home and feed it to my family..............I have always stayed true to this statement.

However.........I have just returned home from Vietnam, yesterday as it happens.

During my stay, I have had the chance to sample this fish as fresh as you could get it,
when my beautiful Vietnamese wife bought a fish about 2 foot long, live,
from the local market,
and brought it home in a plastic bag, still flapping.

Any one who has ever tried to bake a whole silver perch will understand when I say that this fish tasted like "mud pie"...........................( I didn't know about the pregnant woman's piss at this point)

How ANYONE can say that Bassa is worth eating must have never eaten anything but dirty back-water bream for the whole of their life.

I'm sure that there will be some who will dissagree with what I have to say,
my only comment to them would be that they should go and buy a mullet from the bait shop.......and enjoy the difference.

Muzz

P.S......maybe freezing the crap makes it taste better

jimbamb
20-07-2009, 10:54 AM
Personally i wont eat Basa for all the reasons listed in article. One small observation tho.
The hormones given to women for"Change of life" are made from urine from pregnant horses. saw a documentary on tv.Horses in large shed with special bags to catch urine which is processed to make hormone deficiency treatment pills...
TRUE>> Scary really....Jim

BobbyJ123
20-07-2009, 01:29 PM
Personally i wont eat Basa for all the reasons listed in article. One small observation tho.
The hormones given to women for"Change of life" are made from urine from pregnant horses. saw a documentary on tv.Horses in large shed with special bags to catch urine which is processed to make hormone deficiency treatment pills...
TRUE>> Scary really....Jim

Wondered why some blokes are built like a stallion...:oops:
Some good replies and it's good to see that you fishos know not to buy that crap...Or is that carp:thumbsup:

jimbamb
21-07-2009, 09:15 AM
Wondered why some blokes are built like a stallion...:oops:
Some good replies and it's good to see that you fishos know not to buy that crap...Or is that carp:thumbsup:

Maybee id better get some!!!!

GAFYM
21-07-2009, 08:49 PM
Dont know much about "Viet Catfish" or whatever but probably ate it there. However Aust catties are very good. Dont be put off by the looks. Try them, u might be surprised.