PDA

View Full Version : Too Rough for A fish But Squiding was On

jtpython
14-07-2009, 07:47 PM
:-* Brother was here for a week on holidays after coming back from a stint in Afghanstan tried to take him out to hit some spano's. But the weather had other idea's was bloody terrible with a sloppy huge swell ........... So after coming out for the 3rd time the call was made to go squiding.
And paid off for us .......We caught some huge fella's giving us a great feed betwwen all of us of calamari and bait for the next reef trips. Managed to go for a dive and scored a nice 45 cm trout for dinner
http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo159/jtpython/12072009002.jpg
Most of the big fella's bar 5 we gutted while we were on one of the island beaches to save the ink getting everywhere at home
JT

blueline
14-07-2009, 08:13 PM
at least you got out for some r&r and a nice feed.

Horse
14-07-2009, 08:34 PM
How big were the bigger ones. If thats a 45cm Trout then you are lucky they did not drag you out of the boat

jtpython
14-07-2009, 08:54 PM
Here is one we got a long time ago ............. They are good sized and just a matter of giving them plenty of loose drag
JT
Think the biggest tube there was 600mm

snasman
14-07-2009, 09:20 PM
JT youve done it again,they make the large ones Im currently catching look like babys, well done

tailorboi99
14-07-2009, 09:26 PM
Mighty fine Squid there mate, good job. What size jigs and what gear are you using?

Thanks Tom

jtpython
14-07-2009, 09:38 PM
We call them tigers as some off them have large orange stripes on them. But just using size 4 jigs on light rods and reels and just normal prawn like movements with the rod. But i will say they are colour orintated and there is one thing we do to the jigs that made it the more appealing to them. We spend a bit of time looking for them and have tried a lot of technqics over the years is one reason we do wel and of coarse patience and a sore arm from flicking for the tasty little buggars

murf
14-07-2009, 10:20 PM
top stuff JT

was only commenting that we have not caught any down here for a few years, not that I chase them although if I knew how and where I would ;) they are just a bycatch when snapper fishing

and yes very tasty, we love them

cheers Murf

bondy99
14-07-2009, 10:20 PM
jtpython,

Great squid. I know sometime ago we had a chat about coming up and trying to get a few. What's the best time for these and where aboiuts are you located.

If you send me a pm and the jig colours these prefer it would appreciated and I'll save a few dollars to come up. I'm in Brisbane.

Peter

Wahoo
15-07-2009, 07:08 PM
Good stuff JT, i have never tried to catch squid, sure is some big fellas there

Daz

jtpython
15-07-2009, 08:47 PM
Great sport and fun and the culunary delights are worth the effort
The ink is the worse part of it
And it's part and parcel that your going to get blasted
JT

mangomick
19-07-2009, 07:15 AM
Hey JT
Whats the best stuff to get that ink off the gelcoat.Gave it plenty of elbow grease but they are still there. Thought i might try WD 40 they reckon that works for most stains

wags on the water
20-07-2009, 05:15 PM
Nice work JT...Thanks for the pics...

jtpython
20-07-2009, 05:43 PM
Hey JT
Whats the best stuff to get that ink off the gelcoat.Gave it plenty of elbow grease but they are still there. Thought i might try WD 40 they reckon that works for most stains
My older boat was a nightmare but this gelcoat doesn't stick to it mate. i polish it roughtly every 3 months or so. I also have a 20 litre bucket with a lid on board with a sponge with dishwashing liquid mixed in. And when blasted give it a quick sponge then spray down . But my cleaning buckets and bins have stains just have to way up whats worse lol
The newer models are better gelcoat
JT