PDA

View Full Version : Aluminium and Stainless steel

mattfishing
14-07-2009, 01:18 PM
Hi All,
I've just bought a new boat and decided to place a floor and a front deck in the tinnie. The problem i have is i have used some stainless steel poprivets in the side ribs and seat of the tinnie. Just inquiring if anyone has used the same and had any problems with corrosion etc? any advise would be much appreciated

cheers
mattfishing

Jeremy
14-07-2009, 01:25 PM
get rid of the stainless rivets or you will regret it

Noelm
14-07-2009, 01:31 PM
yes, get proper marine grade rivets, they are dearer, but the centre thing does not rust, and they are marine alloy, so you get no corosion.

murf
14-07-2009, 02:53 PM
as said above and I would also apply Duralac before putting rivets in :)

cheers Murf

SgBFish
14-07-2009, 06:50 PM
get rid of the stainless rivets or you will regret it

Jeremy is right. Get rid of them.

White Pointer
14-07-2009, 08:31 PM
G'day,

Get rid of the S/S ASAP. For non-critical mountings in boats sometimes the only fittings are S/S through aluminium. For these use a product like TEFGEL, or equivalent, and use it liberally. Pull it apart every 6-months and do it again as part of you regular maintenance program.

Regards,

White Pointer

Mrs Ronnie H
15-07-2009, 09:19 AM
as said above and I would also apply Duralac before putting rivets in :)

cheers Murf

Go with Marine grade and even if they are ally rivets still use some Duralac.
We have an issue with our boat at present with Stainless screws and corrosion where our bait tank was fitted so if you can stay away from anything stainless on an ally boat.

Ronnie

mattfishing
15-07-2009, 12:43 PM
Hi all,

thanks for the responce, i've got some marine rivets now and will put them in on the weekend. Going to be a fun job!

cheers

White Pointer
15-07-2009, 07:56 PM
Hi all,

thanks for the responce, i've got some marine rivets now and will put them in on the weekend. Going to be a fun job!

cheers

G'day,

Don't forget the TEFGEL or an equivalent sealer. Don't use so called water proof silicon sealers unless you have the tools to cure it.

Have fun!

White Pointer

lee8sec
16-07-2009, 10:18 AM
And if you have to drill out the old stainless rivets, vacuum out all the swarf / shavings. Leigh

mattfishing
16-07-2009, 01:08 PM
Thanks,

i just modified my vacuum cleaner by attaching a small moveable tube to the end of it so i can get into the side ribs to remove any stainless. thanks for the help. appreciate it!

cheers