PDA

View Full Version : Preventative maintenance approaches

Bad_Bubby
12-07-2009, 07:23 PM
Hey guys,

I have had a new 30 hp 2-st yamaha for about 6 months now and after going through the run-in period I am just curious what everyone's approcahes are to preventative maintenance of their outboard? There is the obvious like flushing after a trip, and servicing intervals but what other procedures do people on here go through on a regular basis?

Cheers,
Dan

Skusto
12-07-2009, 07:36 PM
2 strokes are pretty much maintanence free outboards we had a 30hp yammmy a while ago beut engine for a 2 stroker... just ya regular services and dont forget to mix ya oil.. not much really in them,.

Scott nthQld
12-07-2009, 07:36 PM
something I can suggest with a yamaha is to check the thermostat every now and then, not hard to do and can save you a bit of heartache down the track. I found out the hard way, not that anything catastrophic happened, but the motor was having a few fits until I replaced it. Other things like spaying any electric components under the cowl with a water dispersant is good too.

foxx510
12-07-2009, 08:25 PM
I like to spray a bit of lanolin here and there and grease the appropriate bits when needed. The manual should explain all the required home maintenance.

Roughasguts
12-07-2009, 10:01 PM
Don't use WD 40 on the electrics or the wires, the solvents will eventually eat the insulation or make it swell up. Then water gets in, then wicking starts then Ouch big bucks.

I use armour all for the wires and rubbers, spray it and walk away.
Penatrol for the metal casings that goes hard and clear, and silicone spray for all the sliding bits. None of the above products attract dust, that be why I use them.

Make sure you take the prop off the shaft of every 6 months or so, clean and re grease. Don't wan't that rusting solid.

Cheers.

cormorant
12-07-2009, 10:36 PM
At least for the warranty period use the manufacturers sprays for under the cowl and oils and lubricants. . Don't give em any reasin to not pay a warranty claim if something does go wrong. Either that or send them a email and ask what suitable products to use. Keep an eye out for corrosion etc and before and after it is serviced make sure you actually look under cowl and check everything is routed correctly. Especially check things like fuel pipes for leaks and any stains under the cowl. So often see apprentice jam plug lead in cowl etc.

Have a feel and listen of things like flywheel end float and prop shafts so as time goes on you know what the felt like when new. When it is hot ( and turned off) feel with the back of your hand all around the motor so you know what temp it should be. If you want to get fancy get get some temp probe wax markers and put em on a couple of spots on head so you now if it has ever overheated ( then consider sellig it while it works)

Do a wide open throttle run and make sure you are getting top revs and top speed ( write it on the dash ) on a gps. Do it every time you go out and come back in as any change in performance will indicate something is not right be if bad fuel , bent prop, out of tune etc etc and then you know you need to look harder.

Wax the cowl to slow deterioation and to keep stains off or get a quality cover.

sure others will think of more.

Buy the proper original manuals

Your ears are a good thing so listen to it.

Use best quality oil and run "engine tune" through it when suggested by manufacturer or more often if you troll a lot. No stale fuel ever and shake fuel tank if premixing.