PDA

View Full Version : Drum winch on 5.2m kevlacat

termi
12-07-2009, 07:09 PM
Thought i would post some photos of how i fitted a drum winch to my 5.2m kevlacat. The winch is a micks winch, holds 100m of 10mm nylon rope and 8m of short link chain. Had my bow sprit custom made out of s/s because as most kevlacat owners would know, the older shape 5.2's didn't have a bow sprit. Gues they never thought someone might want to hang an anchor off the front of the boat::) . I also included photo's of how i hid the wires and where i fitted the solenoid and circiut breaker.

termi
12-07-2009, 07:15 PM
some more photos

Chimo
12-07-2009, 07:37 PM
Nice job termi

Chimo

Barraholic
12-07-2009, 08:18 PM
Good job termi.

I was lucky enough to have a stress free anchor winch/sarca combo fitted to my 5.2 KC - I think you'll be really happy with the set up, I know I am (probably not as happy as my deckies!!). The sarca anchor bracket seems to fit well to the front (mines an early model).

One thing to watch is if you're anchoring up somewhere where its protected and there's not much current flow (i.e. such that the boat is not going to move away from the anchor drop spot) - keep an eye on the rope as it comes out and watch that it doesn't lose too much tension and 'loop' either back on itself or in the worse case loop off the drum and jam up between the drum side plate and drum bracket - had this happen once and had to cut the rope to get things working again (as I hadn't been watching it and the above happened and the rope got jammed tight on the drum axle).

If I am now anchoring in a spot that is 'still' then I kick the port motor into reverse idle and this help ensure no loose loops can catch you out. (the stress free winch is driven from the port battery and that motor needs to at least have ignition on to energise the winch switch).

I can post up a picture of the sarca fit-up if anyone is interested.

Kev

Dean1
12-07-2009, 08:19 PM
Hey thats come up great, there was another 5.2 owner on here I think it was Maccas looking for ways to hook one of those up. Ill stick to the good old fashioned way myself and keep my deckies fit ;D . Any more thoughts on motors???

blueline
12-07-2009, 08:49 PM
nice job mate. how much rope does it hold?.

cormorant
12-07-2009, 10:01 PM
Looks great.

With pick tines that thick is the winch / boat capable of bending them to get it unstuck from reef? .

termi
12-07-2009, 10:13 PM
barraholic, i've had it for 18 months now and had the loop thing happen once at night>:( . I've now put a light in the well so i can see the rope. Put a photo up of yours if you can.

Dean, Maccas was asking thats why i did the post. Would love to get 90 etecs but the finance minister doesn't agree at the moment. Hopefully some of the 90 and 70 hp motors start to come down in weight soon like the hondas and zukes are. would be nice if yamaha decides to fill the gap between 60and 80hp with something lightweight.

blueline, 100m of 10mm nylon.

termi
12-07-2009, 10:21 PM
If you go on you tube and punch in micks winches in the search you will see a test of a flat roller and a curved roller.