PDA

View Full Version : Help to choose a new boat

sparky54
11-07-2009, 09:26 PM
Hi
I am looking to upgrade from a Polycraft 5.3 Cuddy to something with a bit more room for overnighters and a softer ride. So fare I have come up with a list of possible options. Haines Signature 580F, Haines Hunter 580 Breeze, Cruisecraft Outsider 575, Cruisecraft Explorer 575 or Seafarer Vega 5.75. The boat will mostly be used for offshore fishing (50 - 80 km), family cruising and water skiing. I don't really want a tin boat and have a budget of about $50K. What are your ideas?
Keith

ShaneC
11-07-2009, 10:32 PM
Depends on what is really important to you. I can only speak for Cruisecrafts as I own one, but the 575 Explorer will have noticably more fishing room than the Outsider. I have a 625 Explorer and still need to hang my feet out of the cabin at night, advantage is with the bigger deck it is a treat to sleep on the deck in a swag if on big overnighters. Dont get me wrong, you CAN sleep two up there, but it is very cosy, the Outsiders have better bunks but its at the sacrifice of deck space. Every boat in this size range is going to have to have some compromises, you just have to decide which ones you are prepared to put up with IMHO.

Hope this helps a bit.

Shane

bigjimg
11-07-2009, 10:56 PM
Thats a tough selection and is gonna come down to which one wins your heart.They all have their attributes but unfortunately not all in the one vessel.The Signature won me over on the finish and inclusions, warranty etc,they have been very good in this dept,all be it only minor things but quick to fix with no questions and am very happy in that respect.Great ride in sloppy conditions etc.Had a ski pole fitted ex factory for wakeboarding towing the kids on the tube etc excellent choice for the dams.You will no doubt enjoy the water tests on each one if you decide to do that but in the end you'll have to flip a coin.Have fun.Jim

sparky54
12-07-2009, 07:51 AM
bigjimg

How does the Optimax go on fuel and what speed does it do wot and cruising?

Keith

bigjimg
12-07-2009, 07:43 PM
Gidday Keith,Mate she gets between.8-1.1nm per ltr[1.48-2.03km]WOT fully trimmed 2pob full belly of fuel/150ltrs plus extra fuel30ltrs all fishing gear ice bait etc37/38knts.Criusing at 25knt 38/3900rpm swinging veangance 17p prop.Full day at Tempest moving about etc she'll use btween 80-100ltrs leaving from Scarborough.But thats on a good day.Ive skiied all weekend up at Somerset for 65ltrs while my brother in law in his Malibu wakesetter used 125ltrs+:D Probably my only critisism is she has no underfloor kill tank but hey I've got 120ltr esky which does the job.Jim ps happy to supply any other info if you need it.

sparky54
12-07-2009, 09:12 PM
bigjimg

Thanks mate, that's the sort of info I'm after, if I can get a 600F up the side of my yard I might be looking at them also. Some of the places I would like to go are about 100km up the coast so I'll need a good fuel range, hoping to get one with a 140 - 150 4 stroke. Is there enough room in the cabin to sleep two average size people? I will be going to the Sydney boat show in a couple of weeks so I'll be able to checkout all the options there.
Thanks Keith

tin can marlin
12-07-2009, 09:32 PM
Mate don't can't the Allison out i'am sure there is still some stock left at Cunninghams Marine.

death_ship
12-07-2009, 09:51 PM
the cabin in the 580 breeze is pretty roomy, ya feet wont poke out. i like mine, wouldnt like to be in anything smaller 80km out to sea

bigjimg
13-07-2009, 03:54 PM
Yeah the 600F is nice,probably upgrade in the future,said that to the missus a couple of week ago and nearly lost a life.....The580 Breeze as Deathship stated is also very well finished and as they come from the same stable well worth a look.I nearly bought an Allison 189 but the Signature is on the next level i feel,still worth a gawk though.I trust we will all get to see what you end up getting?Screw them for a good deal.Just as a side note the Signatures generally come on a Dunbier trailer if this is the way you go make sure you get keel rollers in 12" red urathane fitted.Talking from experience here,the hull rides on the cross members when launching and retrieving.Jim

sparky54
13-07-2009, 08:34 PM
bigjimg
Thanks for the heads up on the trailer, will have to remember that one. I really would prefer the 600f but i may have problems reversing it up the side of my house, i know of one maybe for sale soon, only 6 mths old with 150 suzy and full of options for about $60 - $65g.

death_ship
Glad your happy with the 580 Breeze, it is still on the list of possibles.

death_ship
14-07-2009, 06:49 AM
i wouldnt say the breeze finish is anything special but they are a bit cheaper and a good hull design 50k would get ya near new with all the gear.

Goldfinch
14-07-2009, 05:18 PM
Also take a look at the Haines Hunter Classic 600 Offshore. I've had one for over a year now and it handles better than my previous Haines Signature 702. The cabin has room for 2 x blokes under 6ft and it's fishability is awesome. I use it for trips up to 50miles offshore from Brisbane, Goldcoast, Sunny Coast, Fraser Bay etc. I have a Yammy 4-stroke on the back and it's extremely reliable. At 2 years old I picked it up for $65000 with all the trimmings. My neighbor has a 600 Breeze and he said we wished he bought the Classic instead. They occasionally come up for sale on Boatpoint.com.au. I think Wynumm Marine has one that's only done 34 hours for around the $65k mark.

If you want to know more about the boat just PM me. Everyone I take out fishing on it loves it.

Cheers
dave

BILLY THE KID
14-07-2009, 06:36 PM
the cabin in the 580 breeze is pretty roomy, ya feet wont poke out. i like mine, wouldnt like to be in anything smaller 80km out to sea

does the 580 roll in a swell much ? I had a 470sf and it was awesome in rough chop but at anchor rocked to buggery , was only sold due to the midget not liking the boat and lack of use .

death_ship
14-07-2009, 11:03 PM
does the 580 roll in a swell much ? I had a 470sf and it was awesome in rough chop but at anchor rocked to buggery , was only sold due to the midget not liking the boat and lack of use .
i had a 17c befoe the 580 and they are chalk and cheese in that aspect,17c did rock alot at rest but the 580 is pretty good. Also big difference in ride quality, the 580 is so much better and is a much bigger boat once you get inside one.