PDA

View Full Version : Trailcrafyt

Ian Harvey
11-07-2009, 06:25 PM
I have a trailcraft sports cab
On the compliance plate it has min and maximum Hp of 90 – 115 which I have 115 mercury I would like to put a 150Hp E-tec motor on it I would like to know what I would have to do to make this work?
I have noticed that it has a small crack on the transom already it is only a 2003 model in which id like to repair and strengthen it, what do you suggest would be the best way to do this?
Can you help me with both my problems?

Achjimmy
11-07-2009, 06:30 PM
I have a trailcraft sports cab
On the compliance plate it has min and maximum Hp of 90 – 115 which I have 115 mercury I would like to put a 150Hp E-tec motor on it I would like to know what I would have to do to make this work?
I have noticed that it has a small crack on the transom already it is only a 2003 model in which id like to repair and strengthen it, what do you suggest would be the best way to do this?
Can you help me with both my problems?

What size is it? When i was looking at the 540, newer ones were rated to 130, and the dealer said he could get the 06 model replated. Of course with trailcraft now gone i dont know how you would get this done, most likely need an engineer to certify it.

Ian Harvey
11-07-2009, 06:39 PM
It is 5.4m

Ian Harvey
11-07-2009, 06:45 PM
When you say replated dose that mean another layer or remove whats there then replate.
What happen to trailcraft that they shut up shop?

Moonlighter
11-07-2009, 08:56 PM
Hi Harves

If you put a motor with higher hp than specified on the compliance plate, not only will it be illegal and possibly unregisterable, your insurance company will wipe you quicksmart.

The only way is to get it re-rated and certified by someone like a marine surveyor or engineer.

They will have to comply with the Australian Standard AS1799 which sets the max hp via a formula which is as follows (all measurements in metric):

((Length of boat x Beam at the transom at the waterline) x 16), minus 67 = max kw. The to convert kw to hp multiply by 1.32.

I know the Trailcraft is a fairly beamy boat so the above formula when applied to your boat could look something like below, but you'd need to actually measure the beam of your boat at the waterline and verify that the length of the boat is actually 5.4m, not just claimed to be 5.4m!

5.4 m length x say 2.2m beam = 11.88, multiply by 16 = 190.08, minus 67 = 123.08kw multiply by 1.32 to convert to hp = 162hp. If the beam at waterline is actually 2.1 the max comes down to just over 150hp.

This then has to be tested over a designated course and proven to be safe in line with the method set out in the Standard.

So I reckon 150hp would be right up near the max possible for your hull.

Maybe you could do the measurements yourself first then run the above formula, if the result is over 150hp then probably, with extra bracing, you will be able to get someone to put their name to a re-rating of the hull. If its under 150 I don't like your chances of getting anyone to sign approval for 150hp.

Good luck!

ML

Ian Harvey
12-07-2009, 09:21 AM
Thanks that helps me heaps I no what I will be doing today

Dean1
12-07-2009, 10:18 AM
A mate of mine up north has a 640 centrecab Trailcraft running a 200 Yamaha 4 stroke.

It was suffering from a neverending cracking transom, he was migging it up himself until he got tired of the problem.

He contacted Trailcraft and they have fully redesigned the transom strengthened, beefed it up and he hasnt had a problem since.

They obviously went light on the transom area, I think his is about an 04 05 model. Dissapointing for the price of them. Been an ally it wont be too hard too fix, where abouts are you located??

JB
13-07-2009, 11:10 AM
Hi mate, i have a 6 year old 4.5 profish which had a cracking transom. I had it put in for warranty repairs in its last year of warranty( 5year hull warranty). Cunninghams marine liaised with trailcraft on a new transom design that gives it much more strength. I have been using the boat for a year now with the new design and its great .. no dramas at all. If you would like me to send you more info / pics of the new and old transom please pm your email address, only too happy to help.

Also on the HP, my max is 60hp which is what im running .. but geez i could easily run 75 i reckon if the weight of the motor was appropriate.

Jas

fsh00
13-07-2009, 04:41 PM
Jas,
reckon you can put some pics on here for us.

Ian Harvey
13-07-2009, 07:08 PM
Thanks Jas
Some pic and info would be grate as Trailcraft has shut up shop (so i been told) and i will have to work out how to fix it my self
ianharvey5@bigpond.com

Ian Harvey
13-07-2009, 07:15 PM
Hi Fshoo
I am just a learner at the moment will put some pic up one day soon
I need to learn to dodge work and go fishing more to

Greg P
13-07-2009, 07:21 PM
Ian - why do you need to put a 150hp outboard on it? Big loads,good deal on a cheap engine?? Unless you are fishing lakes or estuaries it would be a rare day that you could open up the 150 on a Trailcraft offshore or in the bay without doing damage to person or boat?

Ian Harvey
13-07-2009, 07:35 PM
Hi Greg
Its not that i wont to go any farster i just not happy with the outboard i have and i though if i got a 150 hp could cruse with less rpm but with the info i got from Moonlighter i have worked out that 115 hp is about as big as i can go.

Moonlighter
13-07-2009, 07:52 PM
Hi Ian

What makes you not happy with the current motor's performance? If you share the issues you'll get lots of info and advice to sort thru from this site, guaranteed!!;)

There are lots of ways to inprove performance without necessarily replacing the motor. Assuming the motor itself is in good condition and tuned up properly, the first place to start is probably the height of the motor on the transom.

The right height on the transom is critical. If it's set too deep - a frequent problem with many boats - getting it lifted to the correct height can make a major improvement in acceleration, top end and economy.

Once the height is definitely set correctly, then getting a prop that's well matched to your hull and the load you normally carry is the next step.

Combined, get these 2 things right and you can turn an underperforming dog into a sportscar.8-)

But you'll need to give us some more info about what you're not happy with so people can throw some ideas/suggestions to you. We're all learning on this site, and most are happy to share their experiences, all you've got to do is sort thru it all and decide what to take and what to leave!:P

Cheers

Ian Harvey
13-07-2009, 08:27 PM
Hi Moonlighter
I have 2003 Mercury 115 salt water low hours i find after trawling at low speed my outboard get real smokey and fumey. I have it service at a Mercury dealer regulary

boatboy50
13-07-2009, 08:32 PM
Hey Ian,

Those 115 Merc are widely recognised as on of the worst engines available today.

Their rough idle, gutless performance, smoke, fuel usage and many other reasons are why they are so bad.

A 115 Four Stroke of any brand, an ETEC ect will lift that boat immensely.

I wouldn't think there would be a need for anything over 115, especially in a two stroke.

Regards

Darren

Ian Harvey
13-07-2009, 08:46 PM
Where could i get a good deal on a 115 E-tec

Mr__Bean
13-07-2009, 11:16 PM
Ian,

In regard to getting the transom fixed, where abouts are you located?

- Darren

JB
14-07-2009, 09:17 AM
Hi mate, i'll get the photos together tonight and put them up here for you. I'd say cunninghams marine could help you out , as they have the new transom design plans / a local welder that does the job for them.

Jas

Ian Harvey
14-07-2009, 04:46 PM
Mr_Bean
I am in Wodonga north east vic