PDA

View Full Version : Eungella Dam - any info

MyEscape
11-07-2009, 06:43 AM
Hello,

Can someone give any info or tips on fishing Eungella Dam?

I am not new to fishing but have never fished freshwater before. But the place looks great for camping etc.

Have a tinny (4.35 Seajay with 40hp 2 stroke and bow mounted minn kota)

Thanks

Steve

Colo77
13-07-2009, 05:36 PM
Hey Steve,

I'm an avid freshwater angler. I've fished Eungella a couple of times (without much success).

I fished the sooty champs. Most of the high place getters fished deep (15ft+) in the timber with spinnerbaits or Jackalls rolled reeeeaaaaal slow.

However, if you go up the creek or around the edges early in the morning with whatever (spinnerbaits, hb's, topwater) you will find some action also (that was in May this year). Target overhanging branches. Sooties seem to like that type of cover if they're not down deep in the sticks.

I'd definitely try some bait tho if that is more your style. I've heard they don't mind a bit of red meat?

It's a beaut spot to camp, even if you don't find any fish. Make sure you take plenty of winter woolies & more often than not it blows up of a night.

Fees are a few bucks per night p.p. or cheaper for the family. There are toilets (the long drop) & cold showers only in the amentities block.

Good luck!

MyEscape
17-07-2009, 06:00 AM
Colo,

Thanks for your advice. Yes it would be a bit on the cold side at the moment.

Probably the soft plastics are more my style. I've never had a lot to do with these spinner baits. Actualy never used them.

Do you usually catch and release the sooties?

Regards

Steve

Colo77
17-07-2009, 09:24 PM
I always C&R the sooties. I've never put 1 on the plate Steve. Don't reckon they'd be much chop to eat but bloody great fun on light gear. They'd pull a barra of the same weight backwards if tied tail to tail.
I chase em often in the Pioneer. Got my 1st on the fly rod the other day;D . Good fun.:thumbup:

MyEscape
18-07-2009, 05:19 AM
Colo,

Where abouts are you chasing the sooties? Up the valley way. I've never tried much of this as I always fish to salt. Usually at Hay Point.

Though on the windy days I'm often looking for something else.

Must catch up sometime

Steve

Colo77
20-07-2009, 08:40 PM
Mostly at Pleystowe or Teemburra but there are loads of spots I havn't discovered yet.

I'm busy over the next few weekends but PM me after that & I'll b happy to take you for a run.

cammo79
22-07-2009, 09:18 PM
I didnt see you at the sooty comp, shame we camped up there and didnt catch up for a beer. Im still keen for a fish though colo so when my house is built at marion ill have to take you down to pleystowe there for a fish.

Colo77
31-07-2009, 10:15 PM
Tried to call you at the barra comp at Teemburra but couldn't get hold of you. What a fizzer that weekend was...:P

cammo79
02-08-2009, 04:45 PM
yeah it sure was, doubt very much id line up for that again, the sooty comp was world class though, everything exept the lure through my toe.

Colo77
05-08-2009, 08:23 PM
How did you go up there fishwise???

cammo79
05-08-2009, 09:19 PM
few rats but nothing legal, sooty comp only got 1 legal and about 8 @ 30cm

Colo77
07-08-2009, 08:35 PM
nothing wrong with that. You fared much better than I did!
Send you a PM in the near future. Will have to catch up soon.