PDA

View Full Version : sportfish vs seafarer need help

flyin marlin
10-07-2009, 06:18 PM
Ok guy's i need some guidance.im looking to upgrade.im trying to decide on a trade in between a 5.3 sportfish 1995 or a 5.5 seafarer 1995.I'm a made fisho but also thinking of my young boys.I live at the lovely sunnycoast hoping to get out further than the inner reefs eg caloundra 12mile and perhaps wide caloundra.what do you think?

FNQCairns
10-07-2009, 06:59 PM
No contest the seafarer IMO.

cheers fnq

JayT
11-07-2009, 06:41 AM
Either boat will do the job very well bud, but it comes down to your personal preference in boats for eg. I would go the plate sporty but thats cause I am pretty rough with boats....the seafarer is glass so a nicer ride getting there an maybe a tad quieter at rest...the decision is yours, both top boats btw and I have seen 14ft tinny's at the 12mile:) good luck in your decision an tight lines!
Cheers Jay

Chimo
11-07-2009, 08:05 AM
Your wife and the boys will appreciate there being shade and shelter for her boys when the need arises which is often. Also better, softer ride and quieter being frp.

Much better resale on the Seafarer, make sure the trailer is a tandem as single axle units on these can be borderline depending on the motor and gear.

When you consider all aspect there really is no contest.

Cheers
Chimo

PS As a GOM I've owned both Al and Glass.

JB
11-07-2009, 08:37 AM
Seafarer... more to maintain but a much nicer ride for you and the family.

bushwacker
11-07-2009, 10:53 AM
seafarer all the way!!! used to fish out of 5m v sea and was a great boat, handled the rough stuff really well for a 5m boat, also handled nasty bars like the maclay river down in NSW very well...

Have since upgraded to a 609SC Stabicraft, won't even start raving about this weapon...

Jabba_
11-07-2009, 11:05 AM
The verdict is in, Seafarer won the vote.

flyin marlin
11-07-2009, 06:34 PM
Thanks everyone for your advise and i was leaning towards the seafarer but after making calls for both boats today both have been sold today.the economy cant be that bad.thanks again everyone.i will keep you posted on my next search.

tenzing
11-07-2009, 07:06 PM
Dont close it up yet?
I want to vote for the Seafarer too. Same reasons as above . You'll be so glad you did.
Brendan

ozscott
11-07-2009, 07:11 PM
I will vote for the Seafarer too...and I dont even know the other boat....its crazy!

(I am reminded of Austin Powers....theres not even any film in the camera baby...its crazy)

Chimo
11-07-2009, 07:11 PM
Theres a reason that they sold and thats one more reason for you to go with the Seafarer brand!

Look at the 6 m Victory too

Cheers
Chimo

tenzing
11-07-2009, 07:19 PM
Theres a reason that they sold and thats one more reason for you to go with the Seafarer brand!

Look at the 6 m Victory too

Cheers
Chimo
There are a couple around too Chimo.
I spoke to a local concretor who has his very keenly priced on another site.
He had the cruisecraft type roof. Seemed like a good type of bloke to deal with. pulled over for a chat with a fellow seafarer owner even though he knew there was no likelihood of a sale in it.
Brendan

(pm me if you cant figure out where to look)

Jabba_
11-07-2009, 09:18 PM
There are a couple around too Chimo.
I spoke to a local concretor who has his very keenly priced on another site.
He had the cruisecraft type roof. Seemed like a good type of bloke to deal with. pulled over for a chat with a felloe seafarer owner even though he knew there was no likelihood of a sale in it.
Brendan

(pm me if you cant figure out where to look)
Can you send me the link Breno.... Can't buy now, but already started doing my home work and comparing prices amoung Victory's and Vagabonds... A Vagabond with 2 x 130's and all the fruit will win my heart... I hope to be in the market for a new 2nd hand boat next year...

tenzing
11-07-2009, 09:35 PM
Can you send me the link Breno.... Can't buy now, but already started doing my home work and comparing prices amoung Victory's and Vagabonds... A Vagabond with 2 x 130's and all the fruit will win my heart... I hope to be in the market for a new 2nd hand boat next year...
Jabba,
pm sent.
Brendan

Ally Jack
11-07-2009, 10:42 PM
I know it's too late but another vote for the Seafarer.

Jabba, I'm not sure of others but my 1998 Vagabond is rated for 230hp (2 x 115hp) not 260hp. I have seen one advertised with a 250 ETEC but so I'm guessing that the hull can be re- rated, or newer models can carry a higher HP

Ally Jack

Jabba_
12-07-2009, 06:49 AM
I know it's too late but another vote for the Seafarer.

Jabba, I'm not sure of others but my 1998 Vagabond is rated for 230hp (2 x 115hp) not 260hp. I have seen one advertised with a 250 ETEC but so I'm guessing that the hull can be re- rated, or newer models can carry a higher HP

Ally Jack

Yes you can re-rate the hull...
When I am ready to buy, I will also be considering a worn out older Vagabond (Currant shape), that way it will be a cheap hull that I can do a reno on, and install new motors, all new electicts, sounders, everything done the way I want. It would be like starting with a blank canvas and turing it into my own master piece...

I'm also looking at the Hains Hunter Patriots, a bit more money, but you get a lot off boat....

Chimo
12-07-2009, 08:24 AM
Hi Jabba

How do you go about re-rating a Vag?
What can they go up to and do you have to do much / anything to them?

The transom and hull in general is so thick and heavy; or mine is anyway, it would seem you could hang a lot more horses out the back as long as they are not much heavier than the two 115s that I and others have on them now.

How fast are you looking to go anyhow?

Cheers
Chimo

Jabba_
12-07-2009, 08:54 AM
Hi Jabba

How do you go about re-rating a Vag?
What can they go up to and do you have to do much / anything to them?

The transom and hull in general is so thick and heavy; or mine is anyway, it would seem you could hang a lot more horses out the back as long as they are not much heavier than the two 115s that I and others have on them now.

How fast are you looking to go anyhow?

Cheers
Chimo

In lindsay's word's "We can just re-rate the transom".. It's the same deal as my Vermont.. Every Vermont I have seen in a Boat yard or on the net is rated to 225hp, yet mine is rated to 250hp...

If I can find a Vagabond to repower I will power it with a set off 130 E-tec's.. Same weight as the 115's @ 167kg...

Not looking at max speed, I like to have more then enough power so the motors arn't working as hard while cruising around... A less stressed motor will or at least should use less fuel and oil.. Well that how it seem's to be working with my current rig...

ozscott
12-07-2009, 09:00 AM
My plate is 250hp....but you would have to take into account that may be head rated...when did they move to prop rating?

Cheers

Chimo
12-07-2009, 09:18 AM
Certainly is good to have two but not sure if two 130s will be much cheaper or better than the 115s most of the time as you can achieve very economical motoring- just turn one motor off.

I only use one most of the time, two for the bar and getting there quick. The 20" props seem to do the job and 40 plus Kns seems fast enough.

Make sure you fit trim tabs and foils on the motors, really lifts and levels things and with the motors lifted on the transom and trimmed out for running the foils are above the surface so dont affect the speed. And you know about tabs .......

Cheers
Chimo

ozscott
12-07-2009, 09:43 AM
Its amazing isnt it what little power it takes to make the Vag hulls hoon along...I banged on about it when I first got mine because it blew me and a few mates with boats away when a single 115 V4 can belt it out of the hole and see over 60kph with a few boofy blokes and all the gear and full tanks etc. Having said that my hull was a little lighter than the current shape Vags like Chimos, but even so Chimo's eg is pretty amazing given that he has the extra weight of the 'dead' motor that he is dragging right up the back also, but can still get over 40kph...

Cheers

boatboy50
12-07-2009, 09:49 AM
Hey Guys,

Just to throw a spanner in the works, the Sportfish is also a great boat. Just depends on your usage and what your needs are, and yes i've owned Seafarer's.

Jabba, considering your looking at a Haines Patriots, i'll offer you something else.

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=3048690

Trust me, this boat would owe him that easily. It could be repowered with new, rewired and detailed for less than an equivelent Patriot.

Regards

Darren

Chimo
12-07-2009, 09:50 AM
Hi Ozscott

I hope I didn't lead you astray.

The 40 knots plus (ie about 75 kms plus) is with two motors although to be honest I have not tried to see what it would get up to with one. With my tall Rakers ie 20" I think you would need to be in a slight chop to get it up and really running.

I just use the one motor thing for slow cruising and chugging about as the old carby motors seem to use similar amounts of fuel no matter what you do:-/ except at WOT of course.

Cheers
Chimo

Jabba_
12-07-2009, 11:17 AM
Hey Guys,

Just to throw a spanner in the works, the Sportfish is also a great boat. Just depends on your usage and what your needs are, and yes i've owned Seafarer's.

Jabba, considering your looking at a Haines Patriots, i'll offer you something else.

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=3048690

Trust me, this boat would owe him that easily. It could be repowered with new, rewired and detailed for less than an equivelent Patriot.

Regards

Darren
Now that is a nice rig.. That would be perfect. Fit that up with twin engines, out riggers, and seperate sounder and GPS and I would be set...

ozscott
12-07-2009, 01:25 PM
My mistake Chimo - I thought it read one motor 40kph...didnt read it properly re knots.

Cheers

flyin marlin
18-07-2009, 06:16 PM
well as promised i said i'll get back with an update.in a turn of events i purchased a stabicraft 559 fisher.there are some slight modifications i have to do to it to be suitable for my boys but i think it being renown for being a very good seaworthy boat i couldnt resist.is there anything bad that perhaps im not aware of that im not aware of?saying that im confident in my purchase.

ozscott
18-07-2009, 09:19 PM
...yes ...its not a seafarer:D

Seriously Im sure you will have a ball in it mate - welldone

Jabba_
19-07-2009, 08:31 AM
well as promised i said i'll get back with an update.in a turn of events i purchased a stabicraft 559 fisher.there are some slight modifications i have to do to it to be suitable for my boys but i think it being renown for being a very good seaworthy boat i couldnt resist.is there anything bad that perhaps im not aware of that im not aware of?saying that im confident in my purchase.

No mate, nothing bad about them... There a very sea-worthy boat, just a bit bumpy underway and noisy while anchored,, which is normal for a plate boat....

You'll love it, so go out and enjoy it....