PDA

View Full Version : Water Pee Hole Behaviour

Splash
10-07-2009, 02:33 PM
I run my outboard at idle for 3-4mins and then I see steam peel off the water from pee hole with a consistent uniform flow then I see sputter with gaps in the flow then the overheat alarm turns on then I shut down.

Any thoughts on this behaviour and how I can stop it?

Also, how do I ensure a good seal with my water muffs on the lower leg?

SPlash

Chimo
10-07-2009, 02:49 PM
Does it only overheat when your flushing with muffs ?

When was the impeller changed?

Have you run the motor, even for a minute or so, out of the water or with no water going thru the muffs?

Cheers
Chimo

Splash
10-07-2009, 02:55 PM
i was flushing out with a big drum of still water last 7 months with no problem but now that i have access to free flowing water again, i am using muffs (for last week).

impeller kit changed 12 months ago.

no - motor has never been run without water going through muffs.

SPlash

murf
10-07-2009, 03:07 PM
more water pressure needed from the hose?

cheers Murf

Splash
10-07-2009, 03:19 PM
Good point Murf.

The pressure is pretty bad and I do not get a very good seal with my muffs.

I will change taps to the front (which i think has better pressure).

How can i improve my seal?

Splash

murf
10-07-2009, 03:27 PM
I have noticed on mine that if there is not enough flow/pressure in the hose it won't pick it up, I just increase the flow until it squirts out around the muffs but I have heaps of tap pressure here

cheers Murf

Splash
10-07-2009, 03:34 PM
thanks murf.

i have water flowing out of muffs when it hugs the leg.

what do mean when u say "wont pick up"?

splash

murf
10-07-2009, 03:41 PM
thanks murf.

i have water flowing out of muffs when it hugs the leg.

what do mean when u say "wont pick up"?

splash

I presume its like an air lock thing in the impeller when the pump won't pick up the water

if you have heaps of water flowing out around the muffs then you would think it would be good

have you tried flushing again in the bucket? would prove cooling system was good

cheers Murf

Chimo
10-07-2009, 03:47 PM
Splash

With very low water pressure you would be better off going back to the drum. At least you know there is adequate water above the impeller so it can pump as it would in its "natural environment"

Cheers
Chimo

Splash
10-07-2009, 03:57 PM
THnaks boys.

Just change over taps - much better pressure with pee hole showing stonger flow for longer. I still get water coming out of muffs but the pressure inside muffs is 100% better.

I'll have to locate another drum for future flushing I think..

Next stop - GO for a spin on the ocean on the next sunny day we have here in Adelaide. That'll flush out all the damn cobwebs!!

SPlash

Chimo
10-07-2009, 04:22 PM
Dont cook it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

C
C

Splash
10-07-2009, 04:45 PM
Thanks Chimo - Will let u know if I do... :-)

It probably is long overdue anyway...

SPlash

foxx510
10-07-2009, 05:26 PM
I've used one of those ratchet clamps to tighten up the seal on the muffs in the past. Worked well.

Splash
10-07-2009, 05:30 PM
Thanks Foxx.

Can u elaborate (link, etc)?

Splash

foxx510
10-07-2009, 05:55 PM
Like this but in the appropriate size(maybe 40-50cm long bar). Just the cheap ones from hardware store, but spray well with lanolin or they rust.

http://www.polymerclayexpress.com/images/ratchet_clamp.jpg

Splash
10-07-2009, 06:19 PM
wicked@!

which bar needs to be 40-50cm long?

Splash

White Pointer
10-07-2009, 06:25 PM
G'day,

I suggest you go back to the drum but add some soluble oil to the water in the concentration recommended on the bottle. When you have finished flushing you put it away with a cover on, don't chuck it out. It will be good for years because you will need to top up with water and oil for splash loss after every couple of uses.

That way you don't just flush but add a protective coating to impellor, thermostat, etc that will often stick closed when the system dries out. Good preventative maintenance and saves water.

Regards,

White Pointer

Splash
10-07-2009, 06:29 PM
Thnaks WP.

Recommended brand of solable oil and recommended cover?

Spalsh