PDA

View Full Version : 12v Spotlight

Peter4
09-07-2009, 02:37 PM
Just looking to add a spotlight to the boat to help out when going through the leads at Wello or the timber up the back of Monduran.

Not looking for a rechargeable one - just one I can plug into a 12v cigarette light socket.

Any recommendations? Don't want to spend too much but want something that is tough, waterproof and represents quality for money...

Have Supercheap Auto, Bias Boating, BCF etc close by...

Thanks

Pete

Pete62
09-07-2009, 02:45 PM
Ah Pete, planning on moving to night time at Mondy. The one I have is a cracka, it is rechargable, ciggy lighter, not dear, Supercheap I think. I will get the details for ya and post tonight.

Pete.

Peter4
09-07-2009, 02:52 PM
Thanks Pete, but I don't want a rechargeable one! Just one that runs directly from the 12v outlet....

Pete62
09-07-2009, 02:59 PM
Oke Dokie.................

snelly1971
09-07-2009, 05:21 PM
Just looking to add a spotlight to the boat to help out when going through the leads at Wello or the timber up the back of Monduran.

Not looking for a rechargeable one - just one I can plug into a 12v cigarette light socket.

Any recommendations? Don't want to spend too much but want something that is tough, waterproof and represents quality for money...

Have Supercheap Auto, Bias Boating, BCF etc close by...

Thanks

Pete

Get a hand held lightforce spot light, You may have to change the alligator clips to a lighter plug, but they are a great light, and very , very tough

Mick

BaitThrower
09-07-2009, 05:34 PM
Ah Pete, planning on moving to night time at Mondy. The one I have is a cracka, it is rechargable, ciggy lighter, not dear, Supercheap I think. I will get the details for ya and post tonight.

Pete.

please post details of this one as i am also interested in buying one for the boat. The torch didnt do much good coming back from the pin last week :)

tunaticer
09-07-2009, 05:47 PM
As Snelly says the Lightforce SL140 or SL170 are good spots however they are not truly waterproof and you might find corrosion to be an issue around the switches and cable inlets. The trusty old Powerbeam is a good light and suffers the same problem and is much heavier.

Personally I like the old 100W sealed beam spots you can buy cheaply from Supercheap for less than half the price and then fit some waterproof swiches to them and silicone the cable inlet.

Scott79
09-07-2009, 09:29 PM
Pete, I went through a similar process a while back, had trouble finding a half decent 12V powered light from the usual places and ended up trying a 4WD shop. Got the Lightforce SL170 for $100 and haven't looked back. Excellent quality, lightweight and plenty of light.
There probably is potential for water ingress in the handle in the SL version, but treated carefully I doubt would ever be a problem, you could probably tape or silicone the area if you were concerned.
Alternately, there is a dedicated marine version ML for similar dollars, which unfortunately wasn't on the shelf when I needed mine:( , example below:
http://www.doublercustom.com.au/index.php?page=shop.product_details&product_id=413&flypage=flypage.tpl&pop=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1&vmcchk=1&Itemid=1

Scott.

Pretzil
09-07-2009, 09:58 PM
Just last week I bought a 150W 12volt 'super force' spotlight from super cheap for about $45, its sealed beam and says 'for off road use'.
Nice light, it isnt submersible waterproof but it is fairly hardy I think, like, its supposed to be on the outside of a car so it should be resistant to spray.

Its not a cigarette lighter plug but you can solder one on easily if you want.

I made up a mount to mount it to the front rail on the boat, what type of boat you got, how are you going to attach yours?

Alternatively there are little handheld spotlights with a decent beam sold for about $15 already with a cigarette plug.

White Pointer
09-07-2009, 10:00 PM
G'day,

You said you didn't want to spend a lot of money but that's a relative term.

Go to the Hella website and look up Hella Megabeam or just google it. All LED, low current draw and enough power to light up a paddock.

Might be too exxy though.

Regards,

White Pointer

black runner
09-07-2009, 10:34 PM
Pete,

There are 4 non rechargeable plug in hand helds in the Bias Boating catalogue ranging from $29 - $89. A couple of them look weather proof.

Cheers

Midnight
09-07-2009, 10:44 PM
Gday,
I am yet to see a hand held that is better than the "Blue Eye" spot light.

BIAS and other sell them, around 90 bucks. They are a brilliant white light and are the only ones that I have found that will penetrate rain and shine into the water rather than reflect off it.
You wont be disappointed.

Cheers,
Myles

Edit for this link. Whitworths have them, they make a deck mounted spot also

http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=123&item=81174&intAbsolutePage=1

TheRealAndy
10-07-2009, 09:09 AM
I have a 'Blue Eye' spotty as well. I use it for crabbing up the creeks at night, works a treat.

One tip though, ciggie lighte plugs are crap. The first one I had on my spottie melted. Do yourself a favour and go buy one of those locking type ciggie plugs from your marine shop and fit it to the light before you use it. If you can, I would even consider using a different type of plug. I was thinking of using the 2 pin DC plugs (similar to the 240v plugs in your house) but was told that brass pins are crap in marine environemnt as the oxidise and become heaters! I am planning on testing the theory though. I currenty use them on my Waeco in the 4wd and they are briliant.

sagair
10-07-2009, 09:11 AM
Brightlightautoparts usually sells a spot light version of this floodlight. I have bought several lights and led globes from them and they are very good to deal with. I intend to buy the spotlight myself.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-91-LED-FLOOD-LAMP-RUBBER-BODY-WATER-PROOF-BL-191_W0QQitemZ310152885013QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Boa t_Parts_Accessories?hash=item48368d7315&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262&_trkparms=|293%3A6|294%3A30

That link did not seem to work. Just go to Brightlightsautoparts. I bought some red led lights to use to illuminate the floor for night fishing and will fit them soon. Regards,

Midnight
10-07-2009, 10:32 AM
Oh yeah, what Andy said!

I forgot to mention that. As he said, it will melt!

Cheers,
Myles

TOPAZ
10-07-2009, 10:48 AM
I have a 'Blue Eye' spotty as well. I use it for crabbing up the creeks at night, works a treat.

One tip though, ciggie lighte plugs are crap. The first one I had on my spottie melted. Do yourself a favour and go buy one of those locking type ciggie plugs from your marine shop and fit it to the light before you use it. If you can, I would even consider using a different type of plug. I was thinking of using the 2 pin DC plugs (similar to the 240v plugs in your house) but was told that brass pins are crap in marine environemnt as the oxidise and become heaters! I am planning on testing the theory though. I currenty use them on my Waeco in the 4wd and they are briliant.

I will also put in a plug (!) for the 2-pin 12 volt plugs - we call them T-plugs as the pins are arranged in a "T" I have used them in my boats for over 20 years with no problem, - we even used them in our RVCP patrol boat in Melbourne, which was a 12 metre workboat permanently moored in the Yarra, with no corrosion to speak of. The pins are easy to clean with emery paper if there was any corrosion, and they have a large surface contact area to pass plenty of current without heating up. We were originally put onto them by the amateur radio group WICEN, whose operators we used to carry on board on the Red Cross Murray Marathon.

Richard.

p.s. Important point when considering spotlights - get one with the narrowest pencil beam that you can find - a broad beam at night results in a lot of light scatter and refraction back into your eyes, reducing its effectiveness.

R.

BR65
10-07-2009, 08:20 PM
Gday,
I am yet to see a hand held that is better than the "Blue Eye" spot light.

BIAS and other sell them, around 90 bucks. They are a brilliant white light and are the only ones that I have found that will penetrate rain and shine into the water rather than reflect off it.
You wont be disappointed.

Cheers,
Myles

Edit for this link. Whitworths have them, they make a deck mounted spot also

http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=123&item=81174&intAbsolutePage=1

Pete, thats what I use mate for up there, the boys notes re the plug are correct, Im on my second and looking at alternates, but the light itself is great, though I doubt it is totally water prof.
Make sure you have a spare something for the nite runs, just ask Daryl after the last trip, long way home at 6 knots if the spotty shites itself. Ive gone up and back on a Ledlenzer head lamp and a dolphin torch, now thats fun!!

Razgo-
04-10-2009, 07:43 PM
i am looking to get one of these blue lights 4000 as well. could someone shed more light on what this T plug thingy is? its the actual plug that comes with it we are talking about that doesn't lock in properly?