PDA

View Full Version : Another great day fishing Hervey Bay

The BeaR
07-07-2009, 10:35 PM
Hi All...

With the weather report going from SW to SE at 10-15kt for Monday, leaving from Burrum Heads I would not have even had a fish today, it just gets down right rough and uncomfortable. So we decided to have a look at leaving from Urangan boat harbour this time to head up to Rooneys for our second time.
The trip across and out to Rooneys from here was very comfortable in comparison, staying close to the island was a great help. After all, you have to remember, it is 34miles across water, and that’s the good news, the bad news is…its 34 miles back at the end of the day.

We went back to the marks we used last week, which are always a great starting point. From here for the most part, we just sounded around for the fish but more importantly we were looking to find a good concentration of bait. After all, no bait no fish. The one thing I have noticed here in Hervey Bay is that the bait is quite sparse and it shifts around a lot, so you have to be prepared to do the same.

The fishing itself was excellent with the complete water column being able to be fished. By that I mean on the way down as well as on the way up and with a bottom depth of around 97ft, there certainly are a lot of options in every cast.

We were fishing quite light jig weights, 1/4oz and 3/8oz and the plastics being used were only 5” gulp and 5” snapbacks. The way we were fishing these was from a drifting boat and making long casts ahead of the drift. This is where the rod plays an important part. The bail arm is left open on the reel and holding the line against the spool lip with the finger, and giving the little plastic a bit of life with a few quick rod lifts and every now and again shaking the rod as it falls slowly to the bottom. Every now and again, a little bit of line was allowed to go out by releasing and trapping the line again, giving the rod a few more shakes, lifts or jerks all the way to the bottom. Once the lure is on the other side of the boat, this is where you just hop the lure on the bottom after each rod lift and allowing a little more line off the reel so it will flutter back down.

The first part of this technique, where it is going down, is where we were getting most of the snapper. The second part where it is just hopping along the bottom is where we were finding the Goldens and the third part, which is when the line was retrieved to start over, was mainly where we were picking up the yellowfin as well as mackerel. This retrieve can be fast, slow or shaking the rod tip as its retrieved.

The currents are quite strong and the water movement also is quite fast, and these are the reasons you need to make long casts. The rods I use are specifically dezigned for this exact style of fishing.
This technique, consisting of the soft plastics used and the rods, proved to be very effective with a good number of Squiry Snapper to 5kg again, some nice Goldens, including a PB for Deb, and a little yellowfin boated this time, as well as quite a few that wanted the lure more than I did. A couple of fish were taken home for the freezer with the rest being released to fight another day. And this was a great day in Hervey Bay!

Eric&Deb...

swabio
07-07-2009, 11:26 PM
awesome work! looks like you had a great day out on the water!

Frank OO
08-07-2009, 07:40 AM
Hi Eric and Deb,

I love the contrast--Eric in Bare feet and Deb in the Ugg Boots. It doesn't matter what you wear, it just matters what you catch.

Two times in two weeks. Fantastic to see you getting out.

Frank OO

Tim_N
08-07-2009, 08:46 AM
Deb is really getting used to the new split grip S10H Bear, some really good fish in the last 2 trips guys, you're making me jealous.
Tim

Jeremy
08-07-2009, 08:59 AM
great fish and thanks for the detail on the technique. Very interesting and I have made some mental notes for the future.

Jeremy

kevvie
08-07-2009, 09:13 AM
Very jealous guys...very very jealous:)

Thats a nice PB golden too Deb. I like the look of that split grip S10H as well.

Hmmmm... I think a trip to Hervey Bay is coming!!!

Pete62
08-07-2009, 09:39 AM
Nice work Eric & Deb, thanks for sharing the methods too. That is a long run out, and back in the tinnie, u deserve a good feed.

Pete.

geeb
08-07-2009, 10:54 AM
Great report - thanks very much for the excellent tips........Geeb

skipalong
08-07-2009, 04:46 PM
always welcomed report lovely fish to match a great morning.