PDA

View Full Version : Moreton shallows and a flare!

scoota
07-07-2009, 09:14 AM
Late call sunday as the wind dropped for a quick fish on the shallow reefs off moreton island with Andrew.
Quick trip across the bay from bribie picking up some livies on the way we had an hour to chase some kingies before dusk. Found a good looking show after some sounding around and had two drifts getting bricked on the livey and picking up a nice kingie on a chook. Andrew picked up a 3kg snapper then we anchored up for the dusk bite period.
Only just starting to burley and the first strip bait in the water was peeling off and Happy Days, the snapper are here;D
Some wins and losses for the next hour saw us with our bag limit of some 3-4.5kg snapper and a few 2kg models swimming away in the kill tank waiting to be upgraded.
We then spotted a flare to the north of us and took a bearing from our position and as the flare went out there was no light and we couldn't pick up anything on radar.
There was a couple of boats closer and one appeared to be heading for the area but stopped and anchored. Andrew then asked on radio if anyone else had seen the flare and got a response that it might be near Flinders Reef.
I then contacted Redcliffe Coastguard who had not received any distress call and asked us to investigate. We started on the bearing we had taken and sure enough found a crew with battery problems and a radio that was playing up but they had contacted RC and a rescue vessel had been deployed. Once we had ascertained they were the boat who had let off the flare our job was done.
No upgrading tonight and a early call home was made and back to Bribie by 8.00pm.

Scoota...

Tim_N
07-07-2009, 09:53 AM
Good on you Scoota,
If I'm ever in trouble out there, I hope you are near by.
Nice catch too.
Tim

kevy
07-07-2009, 10:06 AM
well done scoota on both counts, the A TEAM, strikes again, cheers, kevy

Pete62
07-07-2009, 10:11 AM
That's good Karma, next time u go out you will smash em.

Pete.

eotbmg
07-07-2009, 10:39 AM
Great effort mate,
Thanks for doing a great deed for those people in need.
The world has a wonderful knack of repaying those who help others.
Ben

geeb
07-07-2009, 11:10 AM
Whatever you give out you get back - so you are in for some good, safe happy times - good on you for treating the sea and your fellow sailors with respect..........cheers...........Geeb

black_sheep
07-07-2009, 01:57 PM
That's gold Scoota. Top effort on the fishing. Even better effort on your caring and 'responsibility' to your fellow seamen.

What goes around comes around mate - that 15kg Snapper is on it's way.

lizard bribie
07-07-2009, 02:37 PM
;D Nice Work scoota@andrew Better Days Ahead :P Beats Shopping At Bunnings Mate::) CHEERS lizard bribie:P

outsiderskip
07-07-2009, 03:22 PM
hi scoota
hear most of the chat as i was at tempest
did he have motor breakdown or what

pete

Angla
07-07-2009, 04:45 PM
Makes you feel good responding to a call for help. I bet you were wondering what you would find there.

I hope Karma pays you well or atleast you have no problems yourself.

Cheers
Chris

Fishbait
07-07-2009, 05:25 PM
Nice fish and congrats on finding the stranded crew with battery problems at night as well. Excellent stuff. Cheers, Darren

MickInTheMud
07-07-2009, 05:39 PM
Good on you for responding to the flare and giving assistance.:)

I was on the radios of the Coast Guard vessel that towed them back.

While you were talking to base we were taking the details down and entering the coordinates into our GPS.

Luckily we were already at the M4 beacon having nearly completed another assist.

Made for a long day getiing back to Scarborough harbour at 2130 after starting at 0530.;D

Cheers Mick.

scoota
07-07-2009, 05:48 PM
Pete,
We were happy to find 4 blokes in a 1900 KC with crook batteries/electrics causing motor failure and the VHF not receiving well. Think they were the crew asking for a radio check repeatedly earlier.
All good, and last we heard they were in tow back to Scarby by Redcliffe Leagues 2[Great work again RCG].

And yes, we were relieved not to be searching for fellow fisherman in the water with just a moonlite sky!!!!

Scoota...

PS
They were very thankful for our response and swore us to secrecy on their fishing spot;)

RAT-KING
07-07-2009, 07:54 PM
Well done
To stop fishing on a hot bite to check on wat may have been nothing!!
wen it sounds like other boats had ignored it!
Thats an awesome effort!!!!
May the fishing gods smile upon you!

jtpython
07-07-2009, 08:07 PM
Top stuff mate
JT

reel scream
07-07-2009, 08:11 PM
Well done on all accounts Scoota. Dito to all the above comments for unselfishly helping out the lads.

You two have been getting out a bit. Might need a point in the right direction for the M@G as will be doing the Rainbow comp and won't be fishing from here till then.

Cheers
Scott