PDA

View Full Version : Cooktown Report

nickstock
06-07-2009, 02:39 PM
After selling my boat two weeks ago, last weekend greeted me with flat seas and a forecast of 5 knots. I was tied up with work and social things (Holly), so we made the call to go on a charter on Sunday 5/4/2009

As usual the forecast for the weekend was 20 / 25 from the south east but still easily fishable aboard the 42 foot Randall 'Hurricane' owned by Andy of Cooktown Reef Charters

Andy had cleaned up during his last few trips with the standout fish being of red colouration. With Largemouth Nannies around 6kgs and Red Emperor around 6 kilos (with the standout specimen topping 13kgs) making up most of their recent catches, I was pumped and ready to go on Saturday night. A few birthday beverages on Saturday night ensured that I was ready to go bright and early Sunday.....Not

]Holly and I had spent Saturday catching Sooty Grunter and Jungle Perch in the freshwater reaches of the Annan River and unfortunately I got a good dose of Sun Stroke

We were met with sloppy conditions from the s/e and I was seasick for the first time in many years. Note to self..........have quiet night before heading wide in crap conditions The beauty of the Great Barrier Reef ensured that conditions would greatly improve once we neared the shallow protected waters behind the reef

With a cruise speed of 10 knots, we trolled a spread of four hard bodies on the way out. Russell from the lure shop sold me a few lures that he stated 'are deadly on Spanish Macs'. Well he did not lie. In the last two trips that I have been outside, the ‘Trollcraft pelagic’s' have out fished my Rapala's to the point where on this trip I only used the Trollcraft in the Silver Glitter colour

This trip was no different with 9 Mackerel falling victim to these cheap $11.95 lures. Holly landed her first Spanish going around 7 kilos on the way home so she was stoked

The first hang saw a few nice Trout come aboard but due to the increased pressure from Pro Trout boats the Trout were slow in comparison to previous trips I have had from a few months ago. There are pro boats everywhere flogging the reefs around Cooktown since the cyclone a few months ago down south

I had my new Saragosa 18000 loaded up with 80 pound Rovex Jig Braid matched to a 24 kilo Penn Jig Rod which I was keen to test out. We decided to move wider to the ‘Red’ patch that Andy has recently fished well for Andy. With an impressive show on the sounder, we anchored up in approx 25 meters of water. Hurricane’s two deckie’s had done a good job early on in the morning before departure and had secured enough live bait for the days fishing. I dropped over a big live herring with a 10/0 Gemakatsu through its back This bait had barely made it to the bottom before the 80 pound braid started screaming of the Saragosa at an alarming rate. Within about 5 seconds it was all over

Wind in, re-rig, tighten drag, drop livie down and start hanging on. This scenario set the next 5 minutes for me. I decided to lock up the drag and try to stop some of these horses. My biggest mistake for the day was due to me talking 80 pound leader. After reading a few of Ozbee’s reports on AusFish, it seemed as though he is on the money with his suggestion of using 150 pound leader. On the fish that I managed to turn, my leader was rubbing through half way up from the bottom. If I was fishing out deep, I would guess that we were into a school of Job Fish. The handline brigade was turning a few more fish than me resulting in a few nice Reds around 6 kilos making their way on board. I was using butterflied whole hussar for bait and continued pulling Chinaman up to 10 kilo on board.

After steaming 25 miles out to the reef, our 2nd hang lasted approx 15 minutes before the fish shut down. In all honesty, I would say that out of the seven people fishing, we dropped appox 10-15 big fish and landed about 4-5 fish. One of these was a nice 4.9 kilo Reef Jack that snaffled a XOS Fusilier suspended under a balloon about 10 meters below the surface

We moved onto a shallower patch of reef were we caught Hussar, Moses Perch and other mixed reef to fill up the other clients bag limit

On the way home we trolled again which enable all seven clients to land a mackerel. This proved a buzz for the southerners that made up the cliental for the day

A top day with plenty of fish to go around and plenty of nice table fish released to enjoy another day.

If you are looking for a top operator who will put you onto some quality fish, then give Andy a call on 0427 777 013 or alternatively contact Russell from ‘The Lure Shop’ (Hurricane booking facility) on 40695396.

Cheers,

Nick

nickstock
06-07-2009, 02:50 PM
Bills Red
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff241/viridis1/Rede.jpg

Some of the catch after the 2nd hang
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff241/viridis1/Catch.jpg

One of the Chinaman I hooked on live Spanish Flag.
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff241/viridis1/BigChinaman.jpg

Andy (Skipper/Owner) with one of the Reef Jack.
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff241/viridis1/AndysJack.jpg

Another red by Bill
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff241/viridis1/BillRed.jpg

The Spanish were only small but what they lacked in size they made up in numbers
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff241/viridis1/Mack.jpg

scorpionNQ
06-07-2009, 03:15 PM
G'day Nick,

Another good report and excellent photo's. Those trollcrafts lures certainly look like they work well.

Any news on a new boat?

Cheers
Lee;)

Pazz01
06-07-2009, 03:16 PM
Good stuff nick. Pitty about being busted off. Would be interesting to see what they were.

What areas did you fish off cooktown?

When does it not blow 20/25 knots out of cooktown. I've never been there when it is calm.

Pazz

nickstock
06-07-2009, 03:47 PM
G'Day Lee,
I was hoping to have the new boat finished by the time you guys come up here but I am still trying to get a final quote:-/ .

Hi Pazz,
It would be nice to see what they were. Chinaman fight hard, no doubt about it........but what we were hooking left them for dead. The way that the school quickly shut down made me think that they were big Red Emperor, but I have never had leader rubbed off by Reds? On saying that I have only caught Reds up to 5 kgs so who knows? We were fishing ground near Osterlund Reef The Trout were slow with Pro Dories working all around us but other species def made up for it. My freezer is full of Trout anyway;D

Wahoo
06-07-2009, 06:13 PM
Another great report Nick, Congrats to Holly on the spanish, also good to see a few reds on the boat, Cant wait to get up there, Thanks for the pics

Daz

jtpython
06-07-2009, 07:09 PM
Mate nice work sounds like you had a ball with so great fish being caught
JT

blueline
06-07-2009, 08:22 PM
top stuff there nick, good to see you got out and got a few.

vertico
06-07-2009, 09:16 PM
who eats the trigger fish ?

mangomick
06-07-2009, 11:05 PM
Very nice fish mate but yeah whats the go with keeping the trigger fish.:-/ you'd need an axe and an angle grinder to even come close to getting the side off her.
I tried a bit once for bait and the big grassies and tuskies liked it. But bloody hard on the knife getting it off :-[

nickstock
06-07-2009, 11:52 PM
The southerners wanted the Trigger for some unknown reason. Maybe a door stop perhaps, as that is about the only reason why I would want to keep one of the buggers.

Nick

maimai
07-07-2009, 06:53 AM
Far Nth Qld, best fishing reports i ever read, thanks

PS...where does the Nth Qld and Far Nth Qld boarder start

Tony

nickstock
07-07-2009, 08:02 AM
Thanks maimai,

The fishing sure is exciting up here. We caught over 20 species of fish within four hours of fishing.

In regards to the borders of NQ / FNQ, I may be wrong but I think from like Airlie Beach North is NQ and FNQ starts from Townsville up to the Tip of Cape York.

Any suggestions on what people think would have been rubbing through the leader? I am using Black Magic 80 pound but will be changing it prior to my next trip as it is a bit soft.

Cheers,

Nick

Scott nthQld
07-07-2009, 02:36 PM
Nice report Nick and great pics. 2 species come to mind who wouldn't have any dramas rubbing through your leader. Firsly, like you said, jobbies will do it, but they way you describe them smashing the baits and trying to bust you up, I'd be putting money on some big GT's, not only do you have their teeth to deal with, but if they get their heads down, you've also got those tail scutes that can cut you off.

How were your hooks tied on? just through the eye and looped over or properly tied? If they were just looped, it may have just been too much pressure to the leader where it loops over the hook, causing the line to break, those saragosa's can produce a lot of drag, esp, in the bigger sizes.

bicko1
07-07-2009, 03:50 PM
hard to say what would be rubbing through your leader but if your looking for another brand to try have a go at jenkai (i think thats spelt right) I started using it fishing the reef off mky and never looker back. Also I always think of fnq as north of cairns but thats just me

Wahoo73
12-07-2009, 06:10 PM
Hey Nick,
Thanks for your post. Great boat and skipper - i called him after reading your post of a while ago...thanks for the heads up. I went up mid June and grabbed some nice trout and spaniards. Weather good for Cooktown. Had similar experience with bust offs using Andy's new gear (didnt bring my own gear and he doesnt like braid much ...), think they were big trout or cod sneakin under ledges as we managed a few good size in between break offs. Fair share of chinaman which are awesome fun and only a few reds about. Solid boat and good approach to fishing. Pro boats were around when we were there as well - Andy just maintains course and drives straight though them. Up there again in Sept after a week on Monington.

Pic attached with some luck. Shaun

Redhunter
13-07-2009, 07:48 PM
Hi nickstock some great colour and great report

Benno1
14-07-2009, 07:07 PM
Nice catch fellas...sounds like you had a great time...way to go...cheers Benno and Mrs Benno