PDA

View Full Version : reel seat dramas

danw86
05-07-2009, 01:38 PM
gday
so i have a 5-9kg ATC Hardstick spinnerbait rod with a penn 450ssg that i use for fishing plastics out on the reefs.. great setup only used the one day we got out a few weeks ago. 3kg snapper and a 16kg amberjack.
anyway the dilemma i had.. whilst fighting the amberjack the reel came off the rod. on inspection after getting the fish onboard, the part that that the reel fits into on the rod (reel seat??) is too small for the reel. and when the bottom piece screws up to hol d the reel on it seems to work its way loose very easily. is there a way to fix this??

Mark Fisher
05-07-2009, 04:20 PM
Try another reel designed to fit the size reel seat you have on the rod. The reel seat hoods, if they are too small for that reel, cannot be replaced without stripping down the whole rod. Best option, try another reel at a tackle shop to make sure it fits.

Regards
Mark

finga
06-07-2009, 07:07 AM
I've had to replace reel seats before and I worked from the bottom.
If it's EVA or hyperlon etc I remove the rear grip and reel seat then I glue the new seat into place and make a tapered sleeve to snugly fit into the bottom of the blank to slide the new butt grip up on to the blank. Just like the way you slide the grip from the top.
Works well and saves the hassles of rebuilding. :)
Only trouble each tapered sleeve really needs to be made for the blank so it fits snug as a bug and there is no lip at the junction of the sleeve and blank for the grip to go over.
If it's cork then I just fit it from the bottom and use some masking tape to keep the grip true at the reel seat end and glue the same as for the reel seat.
No complaints yet :)

metaloid
07-07-2009, 02:13 PM
part that that the reel fits into on the rod (reel seat??) is too small for the reel. And when the bottom piece screws up to hol d the reel on it seems to work its way loose very easily. Is there a way to fix this??

How is the real seat is "too small"? Is the reel foot too wide even when you unscrew the real seat to maximum or is it too high to slide under the caps?

I've seen the opposite happen, where the reel seat is to big and you need to add a bit of padding under the reel foot.

Also the only way that the reel seat would get totally loose is if the ring/sleeve is fractured, it should be obvious by looking at it closely. If that's the case, then you have no choice but to replace it, otherwise it should be just fine. Simply check it and thighten it from times to times. I know I do when I'm jigging.