PDA

View Full Version : Practise off the Seaway

Scalem
04-07-2009, 06:31 PM
Forget Seabreeze, Forget Bureau of Meteorology, just ask me if I am hoping to get offshore and you can predict the weather accordingly. Was hoping for a decent crack offshore,but with the Westerlys blowing,the furhter offshore I went today the rougher it became.

Oh Well, if I stayed to within 1 or two kms the wind did help keep the seas flat.

Poodroo and I managed another feed on plastics, the largest snap measured 50cm,then 2 x 48, 1 x 40cm and the smallest was 37cm, total of 5. Fairly ordinary conditions, but nothing to worry about off the Goldy.

HAd a great time trying to get another big Snap, Poodroo came close but got "snapped" off.::);D;D

http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp223/Scalem/101_6203.jpg

And we heard all the chatter on radio about people going out to watch whales. We wondered how far away the whales were, until a sudden gathering of larger boats and people logging in to Seaway tower with 20 POB, 14 POB and so on...going out for a gander. Then off in the distance whales put on a show, breaching numerous times. Ever tried to photograph a whale breaching with a cheap digital camera? The delay on the shutter pretty much sums up why I didn't bother trying. Pretty spectacular seeing them with our own eyes anyways.

Scalem

ozscott
04-07-2009, 11:07 PM
Half you luck mate - well done - go the plastics!!!

Cheers

Mad-One
05-07-2009, 06:30 AM
Nice going. Atleast you got something which is more than I got friday out there

Cheers Mad

Scalem
05-07-2009, 11:33 AM
Enough for a feed - and 1 spare for a mate who works 7 days a week - even these pan sized fish are appreciated on the dinner table.

Scalem

gawby
05-07-2009, 02:27 PM
Good one Scalem :)
At least you got out there>:(
Boxed up for my shed slab yesterday and
fixed my daughters car today:'(
When do i get time to go fishing:-/
Wouldn't you believe it, work tomorrow:'( :'(
Graeme;)

jtpython
05-07-2009, 03:09 PM
Mate you got into that's what counts and a good result
JT

jackson4300
05-07-2009, 09:31 PM
good work, especially on the plasics! we got out there today. Got a few trag and only a couple snaps. Saw the whales actually leaving the water completely was a sight to see!!

JJT
05-07-2009, 09:35 PM
mate where wetre u at if you don't mind me asking?
regards jason

Scalem
06-07-2009, 03:24 PM
mate where wetre u at if you don't mind me asking?
regards jason

I have sent a pm

Scalem

sleepygreg
06-07-2009, 10:54 PM
Great to see you and Poodroo getting out and getting some notches on the side of the new boat. Though I bet Pood was saying he could do just as well at mud....lol, though secretly wishing he had a boat a boat like yours. I know how the convo goes...my brother and I have similar convos when I am out in his 2400KC. Well done on the trip and congrats on the snaps, they make a tasty feed.

Cheers
Greg

Frank OO
07-07-2009, 08:06 AM
Good Morning Brian,

I suppose going offshore is all a bit second hand now. You have managed 2 from 2 now.

Tell Poodroo to take the photos of the fish when you are still on the water because I can't tell where you were from photos in the car park. A couple of photos of the GPS/Sounder would be good too.

Well done mate. It is good to see you finally getting out there.

Frank OO

Scalem
08-07-2009, 07:20 AM
Great to see you and Poodroo getting out and getting some notches on the side of the new boat. Though I bet Pood was saying he could do just as well at mud....lol, though secretly wishing he had a boat a boat like yours. I know how the convo goes...my brother and I have similar convos when I am out in his 2400KC. Well done on the trip and congrats on the snaps, they make a tasty feed.

Cheers
Greg

Hi Greg.

We both know that Mud can turn on a show, my PB snap is still from there, although the 2nd best ever came from my solo maiden offshore trip 2 weeks ago, so the odds have to be in favour of bettering my PB with offshore trips.
The conversation was more like " aren't the snapper a little different to those caught in the bay" and " the bay can be worse than what we have today fishing out here" and then " would you look at that, that tinnie is smaller than my boat, what is he doing all the way out here, I wonder if they have all the safety gear??" "Good to be out in the Yalta, it eats being offshore!" Thanks Greg, we enjoyed those convos.

Good Morning Brian,

I suppose going offshore is all a bit second hand now. You have managed 2 from 2 now.

Tell Poodroo to take the photos of the fish when you are still on the water because I can't tell where you were from photos in the car park. A couple of photos of the GPS/Sounder would be good too.

Well done mate. It is good to see you finally getting out there.

Frank OO

I should try harder to get better quality backgrounds to photos Frank, you are 100% correct! Carparks can be mistaken for the carpark for Raptis and Sons on the Brissy river:P;D;D
Because the snaps coming over the side were only Pan size we were'nt going to worry about putting up a post, until we got to 5 which is a fairly good bag in anyones' lingo, (10 mins off the seaway that is) so the photo was an after thought.
Getting very close to arranging a drive up to Bribie and sleep over, even if I sleep in the boat parked in your driveway, I can then have an early start off to the cape and see if I can break some reels on AJ's!! ;)

Scalem

bondy99
08-07-2009, 02:07 PM
G'day Scalem,

I've moved out from Marsden, now in Eagleby abit closer to your neck of the woods. If you're going out next week and there is a spare seat available let me know. I have my own gear + jiggers that I use to catch kingfish with.

(I'll chip in towards fuel)

Peter

Poodroo
09-07-2009, 10:58 AM
G'day Scalem,

I've moved out from Marsden, now in Eagleby abit closer to your neck of the woods. If you're going out next week and there is a spare seat available let me know. I have my own gear + jiggers that I use to catch kingfish with.

(I'll chip in towards fuel)

Peter

Haha that's funny. I just moved to Marsden. ::) Scalem I enjoyed the day out. Finally have the internet working and am back online. I need to get these arms of mine stretched on the big ones once the weather settles.

Cheers,

Poodroo

02-EZY
09-07-2009, 08:16 PM
Scalem
Great photo.
We don't seem to have any luck when we go out from the seaway. If you don't mind asking WHERE ?. If I don't catch something decent soon my boat might be sold to buy new carpet for the house.
Jim and Shirley

uglyfish
09-07-2009, 09:49 PM
been wanting to try off the goldie for ages but i have no clue were to start,any help i would be greatfull..

Scalem
09-07-2009, 11:07 PM
Scalem
Great photo.
We don't seem to have any luck when we go out from the seaway. If you don't mind asking WHERE ?. If I don't catch something decent soon my boat might be sold to buy new carpet for the house.
Jim and Shirley

Jim and Shirley/ Uglyfish

DON'T sell the boat, that would be criminal!::);D;D;D

So far the odds are pretty good, 2 trips and fish on both occasions ??:o:o Either I have struck a little honey pot by accident or the same techniques that many other fisherpeople are using with success works just as well out from the seaway as it does at Cape Moreton or shallow and deep tempest... But I am not going to start a plastics conversion instruction book, pm me if interested and I will try help you.

Scalem