PDA

View Full Version : Saragosa Bearing Issues ?

Scott79
03-07-2009, 10:10 AM
A couple of weeks ago I ordered a Saragosa 18000 locally, and was told a week or so delivery. Just got a call saying that Shimano are waiting for a new batch of bearings as they have had some issues with them recently in this reel, something like 1 in 50 being replaced, and consequently there will be a delay in the supply of the reel, maybe another couple of weeks.

Has anybody else heard anything similar or am I being fed a heap of BS to justify the delay of getting this reel?

Thanks,
Scott.

Noelm
03-07-2009, 10:40 AM
could be BS, but I know of plenty of Shimano reels that have had bearing issues, including Stella's, not too sure about the replacement thing though, I would reckon the reels that are out there new and unsold would be just passed on and repaired when and if necessary, doubt they would recall and replace, or have none in stock anywhere, but I could be wrong

nickstock
03-07-2009, 12:31 PM
I have not heard anything mate but I christened my 18000 this morning with a nice Spanish and had no dramas.

I would not stress out as Shimano are top notch with their 10 year warranty if a problem did arise.

Nick

Scott79
03-07-2009, 03:48 PM
Thanks Nick, I'm not at all concerned about the quality of the product, I would be happy with anything already in stock, I am just tired of waiting for my reel to turn up! Good to hear you got to use yours in anger this morning.

I agree Noel, it would be extremely unlikely that they would issue any sort of recall, if there was an issue at all I am sure they would just repair under warranty on an individual basis. I also have trouble swallowing the notion that there aren't any in stock at Shimano, although that may be my sceptical nature...

nickstock
03-07-2009, 08:51 PM
Thanks Nick, I'm not at all concerned about the quality of the product, I would be happy with anything already in stock, I am just tired of waiting for my reel to turn up! Good to hear you got to use yours in anger this morning.

I agree Noel, it would be extremely unlikely that they would issue any sort of recall, if there was an issue at all I am sure they would just repair under warranty on an individual basis. I also have trouble swallowing the notion that there aren't any in stock at Shimano, although that may be my sceptical nature...

Hey mate,

I orderd mine from the local tackle shop in Cooktown (remote mind you) and had it within a week of ordering it. This was approx 2 weeks ago when I ordered it.

Cheers,

Nick

Scott79
03-07-2009, 09:39 PM
Thanks Nick, probably about the same time I ordered mine....

deepfried
03-07-2009, 10:18 PM
It may be possible that they are out of stock as it is the end of financial year as well. Most businesses try to sell down stock before tax time. Just a thought.

Fisher4life
04-07-2009, 05:46 PM
When i had mine ordered in (townsville) took them 3 days to have it to the store.

I have the 14000, (same reel, different spool size,) and i have been giving it a very hard workout on some big fish in deep and shallow water, and i am very happy with it, no sign of any bearing problem as of yet.