PDA

View Full Version : Best time to visit your beautiful country fishing wise

Ken+
02-07-2009, 01:26 PM
Hi everyone!

I've been reading this board for quite a few years now and finally signed up in 2007. Since I live in Canada and I have little experience with saltwater fishing, I haven't contributed at all and pretty much just try to read and learn in silence.

I've been waiting for the chance to visit Australia for quite a while...and I think I may finally be able to visit in the next 2-3 years! ;D

I would like to know what is the best time to visit and experience some unique fishing.

The fish I'd like to try and catch are:

barramundi
saratoga
mangrove jack
giant trevally
small black marlin
dogtooth tuna
mackerel
snappers
groupers (coral trout)
and basically any fish that I may catch

Since Australia is in the southern atmosphere, I assume summer will bring warm waters to the coast for pelagic fishing? Would November or January be good times to visit? I'm definitely trying to avoid December since it is too close to Christmas and I may not be able to purchase reward flights in December.

Knowing the timing would help me plan the trip a couple of years in advance. I hope to arrive in Sydney and travel up the coast eventually reaching Cairns. I would love to fish along the way. Obviously, I would need to visit the Ayers Rock for sure...but only for 2-3 days there. All other times would be spent fishing as much as I can aside from sightseeing.

Anyways, much appreciate your input.

I would like to show you one of my most memorable fishing experience from a trip I took to British Columbia last summer. Sturgeon fishing is definitely a lot of fun! ;D

[/url][url]

Ozie_3
02-07-2009, 02:03 PM
hey ken,
mate sounds to me you need to base in fnq (far north queensland) say cairns... probably get most those species off a jetty :)

just dont come in cyclone season...october to september...lol... january to march i think....or whenever they like

oh and the marlin should be big up there

should get plenty of info in next couple of days...

cheers chris

Noelm
02-07-2009, 02:13 PM
you will need to base your holidays for the Northern part of Australia (as mentioned) to catch most of the species you have listed, but some (Snapper and Marlin) can be caught quite a way South, so, guess perhaps you should give us a bit of a time frame that you can come "down" how long you will be here and so on, will you be chartering, hoping to get a few trips with friendly Locals or what?

Marlin_Mike
02-07-2009, 02:17 PM
Hay Noelm, i see on another thread the sword fish season has started early ;) ;) ......................maybe try for some of them......................:P ;)

Mike

Ken+
02-07-2009, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the quick replies guys!

Coming from Canada, I'd like to see as much of Australia's east coast as possible...but fishing is definitely important as well. I'll try to make Cairns my fishing base camp :)

I hope to spend 3 weeks in Australia. I'd like to spend longer time, but I'm not sure if I can take that much time off or if my budget can handle it at all. I will mostly stay in hostels, motels or cheap 2-star hotels like Holiday Inns or similar...just something affordable.

I'd love to fish with locals and make some new friends. I always prefer fishing with locals because they are almost always more willing to share techniques, insights and some stories. I love to learn new fishing methods to catch new species. Charter captains are often very tight lipped.

You guys have a long cyclone season :lol: I'll avoid January-March...not fun fishing in storm surges :D

Well, it's 1am in Toronto. G'day to you...and G'nite to me. I'll check again in 8 hours :D

FNQCairns
02-07-2009, 03:31 PM
How easy going are you? Cairns as a city has a stick up it's bum in general and the fishery regulations just for the fun of it strive to match peta's level in aspiration, consider the NT they yet to succumb to all the QLD is now + the fishing generally will be better at any given time.

cheers fnq

Jeremy
02-07-2009, 05:44 PM

barramundi
saratoga
mangrove jack
giant trevally
small black marlin
dogtooth tuna
mackerel
snappers
groupers (coral trout)

Welcome long time reader, first time poster!

My thinking is a little different to a couple of the other replies so far. I think an East coast trip from Sydney to Cairns will see you catch most if not all of those species, and I reckon sometime Jan to April will give you the best shot. Weather tends to improve during Autumn and into Winter, but the pelagics like the warm water. Wouldn't worry about the cyclones myself. They are rare and unredictable, and besides, severe weather - East coast lows - can occur at any time of year and put a stop to all fishing for a week.

Here is my list of suggestions FWIW.....
barramundi - Awoonga or Monduran
saratoga - Borumba Dam
Mangrove Jack - North Qld
Giant trevally/Dogtooth - Nomad charters Capricorn Bunker group
small blacks - Cairns/Nth Qld
Mackeral - saltwater
snappers - bit harder as season in mainly winter, but they can still be found. More so in Southern Qld and NSW.
coral trouth and other red fish - Nth Qld

I would try to set up a mix of charters and maybe some helplful locals. There are some good barra charters on Awoonga/Monduran but I cannot personally recommend any. SQCS Rob Smith is highly recommended out of Mooloolaba for whatever pelagics are in season. Also Nomad Charters have a very good reputation, but I cannot personally recommend as I have not used them.

There is some great fishing to be had along our coast. Good luck!

Jeremy

insideout
02-07-2009, 06:34 PM
there is never a bad time to fish here on the east coast of australia, the fishing is so wide and varied, when 1 breed of fish slackens off, another is just getting started.Weather you want to fish offshore to estuary, we are blessed with a abundance of options, but make sure that u check the rules and regs when u get here, things are tough now, and in 1-2 years they will be even moreso....

If you want a "adventure holiday" with still alot of good fishing, and hit most of the species you are targeting, as nolem said, northern queensland/territory is the best for that, just dont go swimming,or cool your heals, ok?

When it gets closer to you coming over, let us know here at ausfish, there is a great bunch of people here that can help you!!

NQ-FISH
02-07-2009, 08:06 PM
HI KEN
You sound like a keen fisherman when it gets closer to your holiday keep us posted and if you end up in the MACKAY area you will be quite welcome to come aboard boat and spend a couple on the reef fishing with us

REGARDS NQ FISH

quote=Ken+;1039795]Hi everyone!

I've been reading this board for quite a few years now and finally signed up in 2007. Since I live in Canada and I have little experience with saltwater fishing, I haven't contributed at all and pretty much just try to read and learn in silence.

I've been waiting for the chance to visit Australia for quite a while...and I think I may finally be able to visit in the next 2-3 years! ;D

I would like to know what is the best time to visit and experience some unique fishing.

barramundi
saratoga
mangrove jack
giant trevally
small black marlin
dogtooth tuna
mackerel
snappers
groupers (coral trout)

Since Australia is in the southern atmosphere, I assume summer will bring warm waters to the coast for pelagic fishing? Would November or January be good times to visit? I'm definitely trying to avoid December since it is too close to Christmas and I may not be able to purchase reward flights in December.

Knowing the timing would help me plan the trip a couple of years in advance. I hope to arrive in Sydney and travel up the coast eventually reaching Cairns. I would love to fish along the way. Obviously, I would need to visit the Ayers Rock for sure...but only for 2-3 days there. All other times would be spent fishing as much as I can aside from sightseeing.

Anyways, much appreciate your input.

I would like to show you one of my most memorable fishing experience from a trip I took to British Columbia last summer. Sturgeon fishing is definitely a lot of fun! ;D

[/url][url][/quote]

Ken+
03-07-2009, 06:58 AM
Thanks for the input again guys! Much appreciated.

I'm pretty easy going. I am respectful of local fishing regulations. I just hope they are not too restrictive or I will have to plan my trip according to open seasons for the fish I wish to catch...and it may mean I may not have a chance at some of my target species.

Jeremy, I'll look up those fisheries and the charters a little later tonight. Thanks for pointing them out. I will help me plan the trip traveling north.

I'm not too big into adventure...I mean, I'm not looking into sky diving or bungee jumping...I'd much rather be out on a boat battling 5-6 foot waves than tossing myself over a cliff :D But I do like to hike and canoe/kayak and bike. When I travel though, I probably put more time fishing than anything else. So I plan my trip based on fishing locations over other "side" attractions.

And NQ-Fish, I do love to fish...and that is an understatement LOL. I have family in Hawaii and I've been there 5 times and fished there twice. I've been to British Columbia for salmon/trout/grayling/sturgeon the past 2 summers. I have also had the chance to visit my aunt in California and did a bit of fishing there as well. Most of the fishing I've done are pretty much self guided or guided by local friends whom I've meet on online fishing forums much like Ausfish, or there are some that I met at the destinations as well. Thanks for your offers and I'll look up Mackay and plan a stop there. :D

I'll definitely let you know more as this plan unfolds. I have no idea whether it would be 2 years from now or 3 years from now...but I am getting very, very close with sufficient airmiles to purchase a flight. It's just a matter of saving money more for the accomodation, car or bus ticket, food, fishing money...etc.

Thanks much and I'll keep reading and learning in the meantime. I'll ask more questions when they come up :)

TimiBoy
03-07-2009, 07:28 AM
Just make sure you study your Atlas with an eye on the scale. My experience with folks from overseas is that they get the horrors when they find out it is 1,000 km from Sydney to Brisbane. Brisbane to Cairns you might do in 2 days if you don't stop ANYWHERE!

If you are flying, obviously things get easier. Australia is really, seriously large. Mind you, coming from Canada you have an idea of how large the landscape can be.

When you come through Brisbane, we should organise a meet and greet!

Cheers,

Tim

dazza
03-07-2009, 08:08 AM
hi ken,
how do you go with the heat, i have a big canadian mate and he really struggles in the heat, he has been here for a fair while now, worked on the mines as a surveyor out in the sun etc, but still feels it,
don't limit yourself to the east coast, from ayres rock i would slip up to darwin for a few days,
cape york would also be on my list. depending on budget the sky is the limit, if you are around my way only to happy to take a visitor out for a fish
cheers
dazza

NAGG
03-07-2009, 09:31 AM
Hi Ken

Good on ya ...... Australia is such a fantastic place - & VAST! (Tims spot on )

Plan your trip well........ because there is a lot of road miles between Sydney & Cairns (11 hours - non stop Sydney to Brisbane ...... ) .

use the trip planner on www.whereis.com.au (http://www.whereis.com.au) - just bang in your start point & where you want to be next ...... You'll get directions , distance & travelling time . Its a very useful tool.

Checking out your target species ....... I would base myself around the Whitsundays (Airlie beach) - from there you can get easy access to most of the species listed + you are in a most magnificent part of the country ......... You will be only an easy days drive to Cairns.

As for time of year ( late Sept to early Oct) ....... This avoids the really hot & humid period ...... but the fishing is firing up.

I'm sure you'll get some great advice

Chris

Ken+
03-07-2009, 09:38 AM
Hey TimiBoy, no worries on the distance thing. Last summer, my friend and I took a 5500km+ trip through British Columbia...driving all those miles and fishing in between in 15 days :D I have pretty much planned the whole trip and my friend just followed my schedules...and we pretty much have every thing went as smooth as it can be. I use GoogleMap to plan out routes and then judge driving time based on distance and experience...and factor in the maximum speed as well as terrain in those calculations. :)

I would be interested in a meet and greet for sure! ;D

Dazza, I'm pretty heat tolerant...as long as it is not too humid. I was born in Hong Kong so I can tolerate some heat. When it gets humid, it just makes breathing a bit harder...that's all. I've been to Florida in the dead of summer and even in Toronto, there are days in the summer with daytime temps in the 30C+ and with humidity it feels like 40C+. I can handle them as long as there's enough water (which I often forget to replenish while fishing LOL). I was in interior British Columbia for a few days last two summers and it was basically a desert there reaching 30C+ easy during the day and very, very dry (you probably wouldn't think there is hot, desert conditions in Canada...but there is! ;) ). I was okay in that weather fishing all day but also needing to take a shade/lunch/water break around noon time. It's just a sensible thing to do, that's all. :)

I think your idea is great! I can head north from Uluru and reach Darwin and fish for a few days, then drive east in Cairns and finish up the trip in Cairns.

Just so many options...that's why I'd like to plan early and make sure I get to go, see, and fish to my desire for the ultimate Australian fishing road trip ;D

Thanks guys!

coucho
03-07-2009, 09:55 AM
Make sure you look out for the drop bears and crocs.

oldboot
03-07-2009, 10:51 AM
Seriously DO NOT under estimate the distances.... particularly in the west.

I've been traveling north to visit relatives the last few years.... here are some times to get your head arround.

Brisbane to Mackay...two drivers.....fast comfortable car....( not a campervan) 12 hours, leaving Brisbane ( southside) early ( no later than 5am)......leave 6am.... add an hour bad weather add an hour.....road work add an hour.....road accedent on critical bridge ( make camp).....lots of long wide loads on the road add up to an hour.......... souther camper migration..... add an hour especialy if you are not on the road early........... no stopps no pissing arround...... 1 stop for fuel and meal.......10 minute leg stretchers and driver change every 2 hours.

brisbane to cairns... allow 3 days.... solid driving.

townsville to mt Isa..... allow 2 days.

There is plenty to do and plenty of places to fish..... but don't expect to roll into a place for 1 day and catch fish......up noth the fish have so much choice......there are creeks and places where you can catch almost anything and easily on a good day..... but not be able to raise a scale for weeks.

between brisbane and mackay, you could fish a different empoundment evey day for a fortnight......and that is not counting rivers creeks and the ocean.

the palagic fish here dont so much come in and out they travel north and south.... so for most of the year they are on somewhere.

seriously.... 3 weeks.... that won't be enough for QLD.

We took out time heading north this time.....a couple of weeks ago......we spent some time looking at posible locations to fish and holiday.

we looked at quite a few of the empoundments and the well known costal fishing spots........in have a look arround and on to the next.......We did not fish for a week... just looking.

must do........lake awonga........best facilities......... best guides... keep driving past monduran ( or perhaps stop fpr a look)......stop at foxies bara havock in GinGin.........he has stuff you cant get anywhere else and he knows what its going on.

stay at least 1 day at Tanum sands..........good facilities beautifull fish the tides in wild cattle creek... fish the surf.

turkey beack might be worth it if you do a charter out of there..... but it aint pretty.

1770 / Agnes Water are all very touristy... but to my mind overrated.

Mackay is certainly worth a stay.....the pioneer valy to the west is ver pretty and has 3 stocked empoundments... kenchant has a modest "tourist park" but the location is the winner and you can do tembura from there......I night in the broken river resort is worth it....... seethe platapuss while you are there ( dawn & dusk) good walks and look outs arround here.
Then you can go back to mackay and hook up a reef charter or stay at one of the beachesand fish the estury.

yeh yeh...... you can do the whitsundays..... but that is worh 3 weeks on its own.

the townsville area has plenty to offer.....you could fish a two different places a day for a fortnight..........there are 3 empoundments right in town and you can catch fish 200m from the main street ( and often not).......acouple of days on magnetic island is well worth it.

A trip out to the Burdekin dam is worth it if only for the look.....it is massive.... and it is stocked......the spilway is 500+meters wide and rund over 6m in flood......have lunch at the railway hotel on Ravenswood on the way.

& I havn't touched the Hinchinbrook or anything north of T'ville

as you can see there is soo much to do......if you want some serious charter fishing......go to the NT or west of the cape...... but if you spend less than a fortnight there you are wasting your time.

seriously if you stay in caravan parks or modest hotells..... it isnt expensive...... so come back a couple of times..... but don't piss ypur airfiar up against the wall by being intoo much of a hurry.

If you want a hit and run tour.... you need to be fishing charters.

OH... if you arent keen on humidity..... come in winter or at best autumn......the rates are cheaper and you miss the crowds... aprill,May, june.

cheers

thelump
03-07-2009, 03:02 PM
You are all getting carried away with the east coast and where you have to travel to catch the variety ol Ken wants. Forget the East Coast mate. Go straight to Exmouth on the west coast and you wont have to go any where else. Best place on the planet bar none.;D

Mac1952
04-07-2009, 07:48 AM
Hi Ken,

Whenever you do visit and hit the Brisbane area, be sure to call me. I am certain we can arrange for some free accomodation on the Sunshine Coast for a few days, which will help to make your budget balance.

The same probably goes for the rest of our East Coast. Not so guys???

Ken+
04-07-2009, 01:26 PM
You guys are too kind! Thanks for all the offers for fishing...and the accommodation offer is unreal! I heard Australians are friendly people...but that's a lot of hospitality even for a Canadian! :o

Much appreciated for everything. Even though I have the flight covered (which is usually $1500 at the cheapest but more like $2000), 3 weeks of traveling is quite a bit to budget. Anything helps. :D

What are your thoughts on traveling by Greyhound Australia? It seems like a good idea to me getting from say Sydney to Brisbane or Brisbane to Cairns. I think I could make stops along the way and hop back on a bus a few days later...as long as I use one of those mileage passes.

Sure beats driving on my own...and if it is an overnight bus, I can save on accommodation for the night ;)

If I'm in the city for a few days, I would like rent a car to get around...but if I'm traveling long distance, I think the coach bus is more attractive. :)

Thoughts?

Ken+
04-07-2009, 01:29 PM
Oh, if you want some information of fishing British Columbia, Canada or Ontario, Canada, I'm more than willing to help. I've first hand experience with BC having fished it twice. I have some experience with Ontario in certain areas as well...mostly in Southern Ontario about a 3 hours radius from Toronto :)