PDA

View Full Version : Snapper & Yellow Fin on Soft Plastics

The BeaR
01-07-2009, 11:36 PM
Hi All...

Hervey Bay being the windy little area that it is, and only having a 475 topender which has served us well over the many years, we need to look for those magic days, and come Tuesday (yesterday) was one such day, variable winds and only 0.5m swell offshore. Magic.

This time of year in Hervey Bay is the start of Snapper season, and the platypus bay area is one of the places that these fish move into. This was the first time Deb and I have gone into this area and with the reports of a few fish coming from the Rooneys area, this was the direction we decided to put our efforts into.
Leaving from Burrum Heads, taking an easterly course, without turning the steering wheel at all, and 34nm later, there’s Rooneys Point. This is really a big bay to get across.

So now for the fishing….I was fortunate enough a little while back to be given some marks for this area from our good friend John Meiers, where in his previous fishing trips he had managed some good fish.

It didn’t take much sounding around before we came across some small schools of scattered bait, but there were fish holding midwater. The rods we had with us were as usual the S10’s with Certates, but more importantly was Deb’s new S10-H with a split grip, which was made up especially for Barra fishing, and a little S4 BeaR with a certate hyper custom 2500R that I put 8lb fireline on for me. This was going to be different for me, and certainly proved to be a lot of fun.

Within the first couple of casts, the line started to peel off the little reel as the line was still sinking with the bail arm open. A short fight and 4.5kg of Snapper was in the boat, which was a good start, because it was exactly what we had come out to get. We ended up bringing home 4 fish of this size and just releasing the rest.

While just drifting around in the same area, we also noticed a few schools of tuna. At first we thought they may have been Longtail, so moved over for a closer look. Using the same 5” Gulps we had on for the snapper, Deb put a cast out there with her new rod and allowed the lure to sink a little. On the way down it was picked up by something. This is great fishing, cast out, do nothing, get something. After a short little battle, Deb had her very first yellow fin in the net. These were only little rats but they were absolutely everywhere. Deb managed 4 fish in total and I even managed one on my little S4. You got to remember 8lb fireline and 40lb leader…a lot of fun, well at least for the 5mins it took to get it in the boat.

All in all, this was just a magic day in Hervey Bay. When you can run a small tinnie at 25kn there and back without taking a pounding, you can really appreciate how good the day really was. We are certainly looking forward to doing it again.

Eric&Deb…

sleepygreg
02-07-2009, 12:23 AM
MMMMMMMMM.....Sashimi. A top session there Eric and Deb. Those y/fin go hard and are tasty morsels as well. You have your entree and main course all in the one session. Well done. Those conditions look hard to take!!!

Greg

TRD-70
02-07-2009, 07:34 AM
Not too bad at all Eric, we were looking at heading out there but have stayed back towards Hervey Bay and catching a pile of GT's. If the wife would be in I would be out there myself in a blink, maybe next year.

How long did it take you to get across? Plus the conditions are perfect for the long runs, couldn't ask for a better time up here.:) Well better get the boat ready, more fishing needs to be done.

Frank OO
02-07-2009, 07:47 AM
Hi Eric and Deb,

The photos tell the story. A new species for you Deb as well as a new PB. All in one session. Eric the S4 would have been a bit different for you because you would not have been able to crank the drag up hard but no doubt you would have had it wound up to 7.9lbs.

Good to see the Snapper coming in as well.

Eric, the Split grips are fantastic. There are anumber of great advantages to this style of rod. The first one is the ability to cast it like a surf rod. I hold the rod on the foregrip in my right hand and whip the butt under with my left. This gives me a much further cast.

I also like the way that the butt section sits snugly under my arm and that gives me a lot more control and power for the bigger fish or the hard fighting fish like the Yellow fin.

It is good to see you guys take some time to enjoy your fishing.

Frank OO

Pistol_P
02-07-2009, 08:58 AM
Fantastic pics Eric & Deb

Love the colours in the fin.8-)

Pete

geeb
02-07-2009, 10:52 AM
Excellent report - great detail - love those Tuna - yum......a reasonable size piece cooked in olive oil, small amount of butter, soy, mirin and white wine is just fantastic..............thanks for the read...........Geeb

Tim_N
02-07-2009, 12:58 PM
And about time you 2 got out and did a bit of fishing.
Well done on the 'Fin too Deb.
The S4 will eat that sized Snapper all day, they are a fabulous blank.
Bring on the good winter weather petterns.
Tim

WestOzDesertFisher
02-07-2009, 02:45 PM
Nice report and awesome pics! You don't really need to catch fish on a day like that. What a day!

Thank you Eric & Deb.

skipalong
02-07-2009, 05:06 PM
nice fish guys well done

Jurkyjj
02-07-2009, 08:33 PM
Great effort there.
I love tuna, be it yellow fin or the likes.
Nice swag of fish.
Well done.

Pete62
03-07-2009, 09:58 AM
Hi Eric and Deb, great report as usual, nice conditions and a beaut lot of fish well done.

Eric, I am indebted to you for the time you spent talking to me about Mondy and Barra.

All the best.

Pete.

bondy99
03-07-2009, 10:33 AM
Well done. I've never caught a tuna in all my 50 years of fishing.

Still waiting for someone to give me an opportunity to get out on Hervey Bay, might be a long wait I think.:(

Peter

The BeaR
04-07-2009, 11:37 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies.

TRD-70...Took us about an hour and a half from Burrum Heads, remembering it was a great day. Its a very pretty area running along the island out here. Certainly worth the run even just for the view. Sounds like you had a lot of fun with the GT's anyway.

Pete62...Not a problem Pete, it was good just having a chat. I'm certainly no expert and every time I go fishing I am forever learning and if my little bit of knowledge can help out I am more than happy to share it.

Eric&Deb...