PDA

View Full Version : lamont reef off gladstone

mangomick
01-07-2009, 11:06 PM
Headed out with the Mrs tuesday morning late for an overnighter at lamont Thought we'd target a few trout early then head out onto the flats to see if any red throats and reds were running. could only manage 3 trout and in hind sight we should have got there earlier
The bread and butter species, husser and occaisional flag were plentiful and we bagged out on them and managed 7 red throat before the NW change came up and the whole place shut down.
hooked onto what felt like an ok red throat when all off a sudden his steroids kicked in and the battle began.From down deep I could see what looked like a flowery cod beefing up on me. I finally get him just to the top of the water when out spits a 48cm red throat that was on my line and the old cod heads back down below. bugger.
mrs caught 3 small red emporers which went back for another day and I was given a caning by something that was giving plenty of head shakes and eventually broke an 80 lb paterrnoster loop. I was using a husser head and shoulder for bait so it may have been the cod back for more
A big old chinaman came aboard only to recieve a severe tongue lashing before getting to live another day.
Plenty of whales out from rock cod shoals to lamont at present. tried fishing for a few tuskies on the way home but the shoals seemed pretty quiet with the bottom of the tide and Nor wester present

jtpython
02-07-2009, 06:04 AM
Great going mick
Seems your doing alot better then some around this area at moment a bit hit and miss in places......... But not uncommon for this time of year.
The macs are slack with a few about inclose but mixed in with a lot of small fella's . The oldman managed a big queenie on a spoon yesterday.
Awesome mixed bag mate and the whales make it a pleasent trip to see a few of them. Wouldn't mind seeing that white one when she comes thru
JT

mangomick
02-07-2009, 08:16 AM
It was pretty awesome out there. There was a small tinnie out at Lamont that had one whale broaching out of the water real close to them. The one in the photo came up about 100 metres in front of the boat when we were heading home. When we got inshore we had a pod of dolphins porpoising in front of the boat. I got the Mrs to drive and I got on the nose and got a short video of them.
I reckon it was much better than working ;D;D

rat_catcher
02-07-2009, 08:47 AM
It is so good to be able to read these types of threads from half way around the world to keep me connected to home! Keep 'em coming guys.

fisho85
02-07-2009, 10:46 AM
Nice fish mick, half your luck goin out on a tuesday mate. thanks for the report

simon

mangomick
02-07-2009, 02:21 PM
You wouldn't have guessed it was Tuesday. I still had to park the trailer half way back along flinders parade.;D

jtpython
02-07-2009, 06:17 PM
LOL school holidays the joys.
I'm off on a Kepppel Bay Escapes Charter tomorrow so will post when i get back
Supervisors trip.
JT

warti
02-07-2009, 06:35 PM
Probably because i was parked there too..lol. I was also at lamont but left there around 9.00 to go to sykes. Didnt boat alot of fish either. Did get seven trout though. I am keen to do the shelf next lot of good weather if any one is keen. All up i only used 147 litres so i was happy with that. Cant beat the honda. Awesome day with heaps of whales. I will post a photo later. Oh, i also got a good snapper friday night. Tasted bloody good.

mangomick
02-07-2009, 06:56 PM
Thats not bad consumption Warti. I see valvoline have changed the 2 stroke oil container from 5 litres to 4 litres but the price hasnt changed.>:(
Im thinking that 160 ltres to lamont and back via masthead and then the shoals with the old 115 ocean pro might mean it's time to upgrade to a 4 stroke.
Be a while before I get out again though. We got our bag limit on the last trip and reading the post on the DPI raiding freezers in Harvey Bay counting fillets I reckon that I'm going to have to do a lot of eating.;D

Heading out to the gem fields next week for a scratch.Hope the weather stays good for you.

How far out past sykes is the shelf?

We got to Lamont around 1130. I figured the trout would have come on earlier.

warti
02-07-2009, 08:31 PM
Not far, by the gps it would have to be onl 20 kms or so.

mangomick
03-07-2009, 11:14 AM
Is that a 150 HP Honda you have on the back Warti

warti
03-07-2009, 12:14 PM
Nope, a 130. I actually bought spaniard kings old boat.