PDA

View Full Version : Townsville and Lucinda

Alchemy
01-07-2009, 08:46 PM
Nic and I headed out Friday last week with our friends from the south, Mike and Simon. We headed to our nannygai spot X, which hadn't produced since November. This trip was better in that we got four good nannygai. Three around the 5 - 6kg mark and one 10kg horse. We were plagued by just under nannygai and a few just overs too. Thrown into the mix was a heap of school macs that seem to frequent this spot each winter, trevally and a patch of great grunter.

A few fish were taken on sp, but most fell to baits of mainly squid.

On Saturday Mike, Simon and I headed off to Lucinda. We fished our red spot, and thought we were in for a great session when the first drop produced a 7.5kg red for Mike, a Chinaman for Simon and a busted leader for me. From there on we stuggled to raise a fish, so headed over to the reef. Here things were very slow too, so as dark set in we returned to the red spot. Again it was poor, so we set off in search of new ground.

We found a good bit of bottom with fish showing, but these turned out to be big slateys to 8kg. Given our frustration we headed off to drop the pick for the night.

Sunday morning and we returned to the red spot. This time fish were there, but so were the sharks. Only the small cod and trevally made it to the boat. Mike boated a trout head that went 3kg, and I got a 4kg nannygai head. Every other good fish was taken too.

Come lunch time we headed back to the reef for lunch and a snorkel before calling it quits.

All up we got a good feed between both trips, but the sharks were a p.i.t.a. We then spent Monday chasing sooties before the guys had to catch their flights home.

Heres a few pics.

Dave.

Stroadman
01-07-2009, 09:18 PM
Nice work, great day by the looks of it.
What sort of lure is that in the photo taken at water level?
Top photos as usual.

Heretic.

STUIE63
01-07-2009, 09:42 PM
Dave I was up there on Saturday and Sunday nights got a few big nannies but they weren't falling over themselves to get the bait I had no trouble with noahs on saturday night off Rib . and had a heap of trouble with noahs on Sunday night off Brittomart
Stuie

nickstock
01-07-2009, 09:50 PM
Thanks for another great report Dave and Nic.

Fantastic fish, great company, good weather......Life is good mate!

What a shame about the sharks:( . I would have loved to seen the rest of that big Bar cheek! Nice to see you guys getting stuck into a few Red Emperor too.

Cheers,

Nick

Dunkxx
02-07-2009, 06:35 AM
I am so jealous!! You guys sure know how to rub it in.
Fantastic photos!
cheers
dunks

Nic
02-07-2009, 07:34 AM
Nice work, great day by the looks of it.
What sort of lure is that in the photo taken at water level?
Heretic.

It's a Transam 95, a soft lipless crankbait put out by the people who do Jackalls. It caught loads of small nannies but I bent a treble on a bigger fish, so I will upgrade the trebles and see if I can catch something larger.

If you want to try one out yourself, you'll want to pull the eyes off and superglue them back on, otherwise they may come off after a few fish.

Trent Butler
02-07-2009, 09:03 AM
Nice work Dave & Nic

Findlay and I really need to get our act together and get up there for fish with you pair.

Nic, haven't you become the world's biggest tackle rat! I remember the days you harassed me for which lure is this? and what reel is that? Not any more you junkie!!!

Cheers

Trent

Nic
02-07-2009, 05:27 PM
Nice work Dave & Nic
Findlay and I really need to get our act together and get up there for fish with you pair.
Nic, haven't you become the world's biggest tackle rat! I remember the days you harassed me for which lure is this? and what reel is that? Not any more you junkie!!!

Very true, you were a big help, you and Booth. :) I was forever asking you 'what fish is this', 'what fish is that'... I couldn't even tell the difference between a bass and an EP! (Hang on, I still can't...)

jtpython
02-07-2009, 06:21 PM
As alwys an amazing trip you've had some great trips out with some top fish being caught
Once again the pictures are incredible
JT

Wahoo
02-07-2009, 07:03 PM
another great report guys, sounds like a few good days were had

Daz

Alchemy
04-07-2009, 08:11 AM
Stuie, glad to read we weren't the only ones having shark troubles. I need to find some more spots so I have options when they move in.

Nick, I can't explain how frustrated I was with the sharks. We lost half a dozen solid fish.

Dunks, not trying to rub it in mate, just like to share our pics and stories. I've learnt heaps from the offshore reports section here and enjoy reading reports from other fishers so think it is only fair I contribute too. Hope I can make you envious again soon :D

Thanks for the comments JT and Daz. JT, usually Nic takes most of the pics, but I'm happy to say that I took a good proportion of them this time.

Trent, you and Andrew are welcome here any time.

Regards,
Dave.

Mozza
04-07-2009, 11:29 AM
Always love ya reports and pics Dave, Nic.

Mozza