PDA

View Full Version : GT off the Cape

Liberty
01-07-2009, 07:01 PM
Troy and I went out Saturday into the worst forecast ever. Strong wind warnings forecast according to BOM - actual 5 knots building to 15 mid-arvo. Beautiful day mostly with mild westerlies.

Fished mostly 35-43m. Total of 17 hookups, with 15 bustoffs on 7" Chooks on 3/4oz heads and 20lb braid.

Sigh.

One 5kg Snapper and one 20kg GT intent on heading to Cairns...

skipalong
01-07-2009, 07:42 PM
not a bad gt at all

captain rednut
01-07-2009, 07:50 PM
good fish there nigel! well done, did you show troy up??? tell him maybe next time??
cheers jim

Liberty
01-07-2009, 09:32 PM
good fish there nigel! well done, did you show troy up??? tell him maybe next time??
cheers jim

Hey Jim

Troy was fair p_ssed off at the number of breakoffs - but he did get the big snapper and a squire as well.

He had a gi-farkin-normous snapper at SW Cal but it got eaten half way up. He was not happy!

Good fun. Best day I've had in 6 months.

Cheers
Nigel

nickstock
01-07-2009, 10:19 PM
Ripper fish mate.
Nice work on 20 pound:o . I lost 300meters of 80 pound braid to one a few weeks ago . Perhaps the deeper water is the key to landing them? We were fishing in less than 15 meters and only landed a few with the biggest going just under 20.

Cheers,

Nick

Liberty
02-07-2009, 07:33 AM
Ripper fish mate.
Nice work on 20 pound:o . I lost 300meters of 80 pound braid to one a few weeks ago . Perhaps the deeper water is the key to landing them? We were fishing in less than 15 meters and only landed a few with the biggest going just under 20.

Cheers,

Nick

Yeah thanks Nick, you are right. We got that one landed only because it hit the lure high up in the water column.

Frank OO
02-07-2009, 07:59 AM
Hi Nigel,

Don't forget that the main reason for taking Troy is so that he can keep the white leather seats in pristine condition. He is only your deckie and he shouldn't have been fishing, so tell him to stop winging about his little Snapper. Maybe its time we had another showdown to show him that we may be old but we can still whip his backside.

Nigel, That GT is a class fish and the second that you and your crew have caught at Hutchies. Better than a little Snapper any day.

Thanks for getting me excited.

Frank OO

Liberty
02-07-2009, 08:55 AM
Hi Nigel,

Don't forget that the main reason for taking Troy is so that he can keep the white leather seats in pristine condition. He is only your deckie and he shouldn't have been fishing, so tell him to stop winging about his little Snapper. Maybe its time we had another showdown to show him that we may be old but we can still whip his backside.

Nigel, That GT is a class fish and the second that you and your crew have caught at Hutchies. Better than a little Snapper any day.

Thanks for getting me excited.

Frank OO

Sold!

Glen's nearly recovered from his attempt to shift the planet sidewards using his head.

One four-way fish-off coming right up.

Seadog 2
02-07-2009, 10:30 AM
Well done Nigel, good fish, would have stretched the Egrell and maybe your arms.

Liberty
02-07-2009, 10:46 AM
Well done Nigel, good fish, would have stretched the Egrell and maybe your arms.

Cheers Darryl.

Time for another shot at the Banks I think!

ooglie74
02-07-2009, 05:06 PM
Oh frankoo,thanks for the kind words.
You know anytime you are up for it I am also.
Your Egrell/Saltiga versus my Stradic/Raider,Or maybe another jiggin shown.lol
You will be happy to know the food standards have been lifted on Liberty2 to prawns and seafood for lunch with hotdogs and popcorn
Thanks again for a great trip Nigel maybe next time we can stop some of the critters.

Cheers Troy

ooglie74
02-07-2009, 05:09 PM
Nigel that trip to Di/Fraser sounds like more fun.
Maybe we can do that.
Frankoo would be keen and im sure it wouldnt be to hard to find a few more.

Cheers Troy

Liberty
02-07-2009, 05:12 PM
Oh frankoo,thanks for the kind words.
You know anytime you are up for it I am also.
Your Egrell/Saltiga versus my Stradic/Raider,Or maybe another jiggin shown.lol
You will be happy to know the food standards have been lifted on Liberty2 to prawns and seafood for lunch with hotdogs and popcorn
Thanks again for a great trip Nigel maybe next time we can stop some of the critters.

Cheers Troy

Yeah I have to say it was pretty distracting to put down the sandcrab to pick up a fish .... ;D ;D .... exxxxcellent catering!

backlash08
02-07-2009, 05:34 PM
quality fish, and good result
thanks Nigel

cheers - Craig

Seadog 2
02-07-2009, 07:16 PM
Cheers Darryl.

Time for another shot at the Banks I think!

Anytime Nigel just say the word.

Jurkyjj
02-07-2009, 08:31 PM
Nice GT mate.
Great effort on the lighter line.

davecc
03-07-2009, 07:19 AM
Troy it looks like the challenge has been put to you by the old man of the sea, the question is can you step up and deleiver, as for the DI trip i will hide some where on liberty
Cheers Dave

Liberty
13-07-2009, 05:32 PM
Troy it looks like the challenge has been put to you by the old man of the sea, the question is can you step up and deleiver, as for the DI trip i will hide some where on liberty
Cheers Dave

Hey Dave

There's always room for one more!

Cheers
Nigel

Liberty
13-07-2009, 05:34 PM
Ok, I &^%$#@ well give up.

Went out back to the same spot yesterday into 3.5m swell.

Got another 12 bustoffs from 12 hookups.

That's now a total of 27 bustoffs from 29 hookups.

I've now tried 4 different brands of mono/fluoro at 20lb on 4 different rods/reels, all without success.

Anyone got any advice?

This is starting to p_ss me off!!!

ooglie74
13-07-2009, 06:44 PM
Anchor rope with 600lb leader and a nuclear chook.lol

Cheers Troy

davecc
13-07-2009, 10:31 PM
That would be great nigel i would love to come for a run out with you's one day, I'll keep in touch with troy for when there is a spare seat, As for getting those fish to the boat, yer Troys idea is about it
Cheers Dave

matt fraser
13-07-2009, 11:29 PM
Why are you sticking with 20lb????? and what leader are you running?

Surely its time to up line class to 30 or posssibly 50lb, the number of bites might drop off, but your conversion rate should improve.

Awesome GT!

Matt

Scalem
14-07-2009, 06:43 AM
Me thinks I better make sure I don't fish the Cape with the little stuff I have been doing well with off the Seaway.....

Gimbal belt, tight drag, at least 40lb main line and heaps of advice from as many of you blokes as I can .... The planets are aligning for my 1st Cape assault!

Nice GT!

Scalem

nickstock
14-07-2009, 10:05 AM
Ok, I &^%$#@ well give up.

Went out back to the same spot yesterday into 3.5m swell.

Got another 12 bustoffs from 12 hookups.

That's now a total of 27 bustoffs from 29 hookups.

I've now tried 4 different brands of mono/fluoro at 20lb on 4 different rods/reels, all without success.

Anyone got any advice?

This is starting to p_ss me off!!!

Hi Nigel,

As much as I like light tackle sportsfishing, there is a time when it simply becomes a waste of time, money & sweat.

I have been done over by XOS GT's using 80 pound braid and 20kgs of Drag on 37 kilo stand up jig gear.

There are some fish that you simply will not stop, but there are also many more that you will if you are using the required tackle.

Who knows what you are hooking? They could be 30kg plus Sambos or A.J's, oversize Kingies or 45kilo G.T's. All of these would still put up an awesome fight with many losses even on 37kilo stand up tackle.

Catching 2 out of 29 fish on light tackle may be rewarding for the few that you land.

If you step the gear up a notch and land 15 out of 30 then you will be a happy chappy.

Do yourself a favour and bring a Stella or Saltiga spooled with 50-80 pound and a decent 24 kilo stick to you next battle.

You know the old saying about bringing a knife to a gun fight???????? By the sounds of the fish your hooking, it is similar to bringing a pen knife to fight a Uzi;D

Liberty
14-07-2009, 12:32 PM
Hi Nigel,

As much as I like light tackle sportsfishing, there is a time when it simply becomes a waste of time, money & sweat.

I have been done over by XOS GT's using 80 pound braid and 20kgs of Drag on 37 kilo stand up jig gear.

There are some fish that you simply will not stop, but there are also many more that you will if you are using the required tackle.

Who knows what you are hooking? They could be 30kg plus Sambos or A.J's, oversize Kingies or 45kilo G.T's. All of these would still put up an awesome fight with many losses even on 37kilo stand up tackle.

Catching 2 out of 29 fish on light tackle may be rewarding for the few that you land.

If you step the gear up a notch and land 15 out of 30 then you will be a happy chappy.

Do yourself a favour and bring a Stella or Saltiga spooled with 50-80 pound and a decent 24 kilo stick to you next battle.

You know the old saying about bringing a knife to a gun fight???????? By the sounds of the fish your hooking, it is similar to bringing a pen knife to fight a Uzi;D

Thanks Matt, Scalem and Nickstock.

I mostly use Saltiga reels so its not them ... and I did have a jigging rod rigged with 80lb .... just doesn't seem like a fair fight.

The other reason for 20lb is to give max chance of taking home feed of snapper et al.

I think you're right though. Time to go up to 30 & 40lb.

And thanks for the advice Troy ... I distinctly remember you being as filthy as I was ... ;D ;D ;D

Cheers
N