PDA

View Full Version : from mooloolaba today

dkbikes
30-06-2009, 08:41 PM
left from mooloolaba today about 5 heading for the banks, was great run out there sat on 45-50kph akk the way out, so once we were set up we did some drift, the drift was awsome straight tot he bottom, did a few drifts n got a couple of undersize pearlies when we where about to move to the next spot bam, 65cm snapps, so thuoght they must of been there did the same drift again got a few pig fish and pearlies and nadda, mooved to the next location drifting again get a few nibbles and undersize pearlies,then another bam 63cm snaps, do the drift again and nothing, we moove again, in a bit closer and souther where we got a sea brim and some good pearlies, from here we came in closer and more south did a heap of drifts over this pinicle patch of reef, getting heap of 35-6-7cm red throats, then up come a trout 58cm, nice fish, did a few more drift and only getting undersize redthroats, headed back out wider to a old mark,and got this evil looking cod, my boss said they r good eating but i was keen for it to come, i usually throw them back, so about 2oclock we make tracks into calo;undra to get the run in tide, at spotx, about 45k's away, got in there real qwick wind was starting to pik up now but still wasnt that bad, so we got to spotx sounded around seen the fish on the screen, anchored up got brim brim (keepers) cod (throwback) spikey cod, (kept) parrot (kept) red emporer x2 undersize, squire (keeper) squire (keeper) and lots of other small ones, tide stopped running fish dissapeared, so we headed in, great day on the water seen and feed quiet a few dolphins, seen some whales, tuna, everything, also what do you guys think of these cod, are the god eating or nope, i was told they are scorpion cod is that true

this is what we ended up withhttp://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs097.snc1/5171_126349041222_753906222_3420164_21651_n.jpg

Angla
30-06-2009, 09:10 PM
Sound s like a awesome day with 7 species kept to my counting. I normally throw the cod back too.

Cheers
Chris

tfish
30-06-2009, 10:05 PM
Great report. looks like you got yaself a nice feed. Yeh mate look like scorpion cod to me. (happy to be corrected!!) good eating apparently, just be careful they dont spike ya. quite painful.thanks for report and pics. cheers .trav.

bigjimg
30-06-2009, 10:25 PM
Nice mix of fish.Those cod are great chewing but the smaller ones are all head.They get much bigger but generally you will get the smaller models.Got one at the Cape a few years back that threw the scales down to 2kg.The whitest flesh and beauuuuuutiful eating.Well done.Jim

jayvee
01-07-2009, 07:15 AM
scorpion cod...A.K.A. poor mans lobster!!!! nice mixed bag there mate
JAYVEE

seamaid
01-07-2009, 08:15 AM
:D Good read nice pics well done, Peal perch are a bonus
Seamaid (Ged)

Dantren
01-07-2009, 08:16 AM
Yeah mate. the cod are a bit of a pain to fillet, but the flesh is superb. My old man calls them poor mans lobster too.
The head is big, but the gut cavity is small - so you can still get a feed off a small one.

skipalong
01-07-2009, 06:05 PM
good to see you got a feed joel

justin

Fishing_Freddy
01-07-2009, 07:21 PM
Well done on the mixed bag, it was a good read and I can't wait till I can get back out to the banks.
Ken:beer:

Smithy
01-07-2009, 07:24 PM
Joel,

if you were in the big Dominator you should have said g'day.

Smithy

skipalong
01-07-2009, 07:44 PM
that was him smithy in the 7m cat

justin

dkbikes
01-07-2009, 10:07 PM
yer was me in the dominator 8100, with the fancy graphics, thats one of the boats im always out on,

TimiBoy
02-07-2009, 06:25 AM
I've never taken a red rock cod home, but Grant's says it's worth simmering in salt water, then allowing to cool over night, picking it off the bones in the morning. Also a top pan fish in his opinion.

But DO NOT get stung. He describes a Mate of his copping a few spikes, and it was scary.

Cheers,

Tim