PDA

View Full Version : Close encounter of the H.U.G.E. kind

mull dog
30-06-2009, 09:04 AM
Gotta love R.D.O's! Packed up the boat and headed to the Scarby ramp at 1pm yesterday. Headed out to the beacons in great conditions to jig some live bait but they were scarce to say the least. Anyway soldiered on to Shallow Tempest amoured with a couple blocks of pillies. Conditions were what you dream of. Swell was minimal and the wind was non-existant. An absolute pleasure. The fishing was a little slow but a playful humback entertained us in the distance as the sun went down.
Started to get a couple of squire come over the side, with the odd horse being lost on account of gear not up to the task and me being jinxed(or having little ability). Had some tucker and watched the sun slide into bed for the night. With darkness on us the sound of our playful friend seemed to be getting closer and the faint sight of his blowhole in action told me that it was about 200 meters away. As it got darker Dave and I thought "shit that sounds close" estimating the whale to be nearing us quite quickly. 150 meters, 100 meters. "Crap" now its really close and I'm starting to freak. Its probably only a baby but it was a few meters longer and a few tonnes heavier than my 6 meter tinnie. I pannick and get the life jackets out and grab hold of the epirb thinking our friend is going to come up underneath us and flip us. He surfaces right next to the boat, and i'm talking close. 2 meters at the most. by this stage i have resigned myself to the fact that Dave and I are spending the night in the water dodging the sharks off Moreton Island. The heart was pumping and the undergarments I was wearing were getting heavier as we waited in frightening anticipation of where this thing was going to come up next.
Nothing. He has to be close. We were keeping a watchful eye out just as Dave's reel starts screaming. "This isn't the best time to be fighting a fish" I thought, but the life jackets and epirb was ditched while Dave grabbed the rod and let it run while I got the gaff. "Shit, this is a friggen good fish" or something along those lines was exclaimed by both of us at some point while the thought of our humpy friend still pulsed in the back of my mind. Dave couldn't do a thing as he lost meter after meter of line. Judging by the angle of the line, this brute was coming close to the top. Then it surfaced about 120 meters off our stern. The humpack has got the friggen line."Holy shit!!! Lock the drag Dave and snap him off. Don't think I'd be able to get that on the deck with this little gaff. We'll let him go hey?!"
We were both bemused and slightly hysterical from the events of the last five minutes. Feelings of terror interupted by exciting anticipation was followed by, i must admit, pure relief to know where the whale was and that he wasn't going to flip us, for a while anyway.
Comments were thrown around like "fish of the day!" and "wonder if anyone else has caught and released a humpback?" and "we could have made some good coin off that if we'd sold it to the japanese". It certainly made our night.
On the fishing front things went ok for a little bit with a nice spangled and a few more squire coming over the side before it shut down and we moved to Hutchies where we got a mixed bag of squire, spangled, parrot, rainbow runner and a few good misses.
I must say that last night was the most adventurous and entertaining expedition I have had fishing in my boat and wouldn't mind if next time things were a little quieter. Had a dream run home at 30knots and the night was shared with good company, cant ask for more than that. As luck would have it I have another R.D.O. today, wonder if i should go and try for Dave's dropped brute. Nah

385EXPLORER
30-06-2009, 09:16 AM
Wow wee,sound tops.you won't forget that sesh for a while.tnx for the report.
Ben

geeb
30-06-2009, 09:29 AM
Great post - what an adventure you had - good luck tonight I understand that whales remember you and will seek you out to give you your line and hook back......brrrrrrr.........Geeb

TimiBoy
30-06-2009, 09:34 AM
Lol! I can imagine how that line peeled. No shakes, just a steady stream, right? Must've had you all wondering at first!

Good times,

Cheers,

Tim

Spot82
30-06-2009, 11:41 AM
Don't worry about the whales mate, they won't flip your boat, typically when we fish up Hervey Bay way when they are in they will come lay under the boat and sing, annoying as anything when you are trying to sleep. They know there is a boat there and won't run into it, have had them come up and blow on the other side of the boat while fishing and I nearly jumped over the side, scared the beejeebus outta me lol

Anthony

uripper
30-06-2009, 01:32 PM
wow :o :o - great detailed report, thanks - what did you have in the water /on the end of that line? - wonder if it was deliberately playing? or "hookup" was accidential?

MalM

murf
30-06-2009, 02:52 PM
haha top report :)

was sitting out in a 4m tinny one day when a full sized humpback dived under us, it left the biggest swirl in the water and the whitest knuckles on the grab rails ;D

have also had one under the boat, a female being chased by two males, we were 20m off NW Island Coffs in 6m of water and she was upside down under the 5.2m tinny :o

cheers Murf

-spiro-
30-06-2009, 03:52 PM
Good report/laugh
Man those conditions would of been hard to take..lol

hakuna
30-06-2009, 04:55 PM
If a whale comes near your boat start you engines and he will clear away and stay at a distance, will not come back, a sixth sense they have, only have to do it for a couple of mins, then back to bed

cheers

skipalong
30-06-2009, 06:30 PM
top conditions to take an rdo you picked it well

justin

mull dog
30-06-2009, 07:01 PM
Thanks guys. yep top conditions and next time i'll just turn the engine on and hope for the best. There was a few around last night however.

TimiBoy- yeah mate just a constant zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

uripper- he had a live yakka just up off the bottom. dont know if he took it or swam through the line.

cheers

Angla
30-06-2009, 09:21 PM
Panic stations on board for sure. They are awesome during the day but damn scary at night.

Great report with excellent detail

I have been in 17 metres of water and had them breaching between me and land. Made me pull up anchor and find another spot. I am a little less fearful of them now and see them as being very aware of their surroundings.

Cheers
Chris

sleepygreg
30-06-2009, 11:57 PM
their navigation methods are more sophistocated than anything you will ever have on your boat..........they can detect and avoid anchor ropes....the line pickup would have been purely accidental....a beast of that size is not going to inhale a single yakka on a hook....especially when they are migrating. Have had them dive under theboat many times off Moreton. The game is to pick where they are going to resurface and have the camera ready to get the 'perfect shot'. Havent managed that yet....but the day will come.

Would have been an awesome/scary scenario.....but at least it kept you entertained for the evening lol.

Greg

marty+jojo
01-07-2009, 08:47 AM
Have had one surface beside us while fishing at the cape at night in a 4.5mtr plate boat. I know what ya mean i shat myself, not a nice thought of swimming at night in that area.
Marty.

Liberty
01-07-2009, 03:21 PM
Get the gaff!

Still pays to be cautious around whales ...

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/09/04/1031115886022.html (http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/09/04/1031115886022.html)

baitable
01-07-2009, 05:17 PM
so livies are good whale bait eh ;/ Dont worry mate, i feel the same way about whales. Scary as all hell in the dark..

I'm sure the bugger just swam through the line. Whales feed on krill.

Plumb-Ezy74
01-07-2009, 08:53 PM
Great Story and report thanks for the effort.
Scott

TimiBoy
02-07-2009, 06:09 AM
I had a big one go by slapping it's tail about 30m away last year. Then it circled and came at the bow, finned over and went under. It was as wide as the boat, 2.5 metres +.

I wasn't scared, I was awestruck, as were my passengers!

Cheers,

Tim

uripper
03-07-2009, 08:08 AM
Mull

Did it look something like this ??

That sucker blew me away last week !!! >:(

Mal ;D ;D

mull dog
03-07-2009, 05:26 PM
ha ha, sorta like that except he was rolling clockwise not anti clock! love ya work ripper