PDA

View Full Version : My livebait/Esky Project.

Dean1
29-06-2009, 07:35 PM
Just thought I would show you all a few pics of my recent project. Thought others may like the idea and go down the same path.

Ive insulated my livebait tank myself and now it will become my bait/livebait esky/tank. It is 110 litres. Saves having another esky in the boat when not using the livebait tank.

It wasnt a hard job just need to have half a brain and common sense and a few tips of Grand marlin ;D ;D Thanks Pete ;)

1) Cut Polyurenthane to suit box as tight a fit as possible, glue to sides.

2) Cut sheets of glass to suit as neat as possible beforehand, apllying 2 layers.

3) Resin sheets of glass in, can do 2nd layer without sanding if done within 24hrs of 1st layer.

4) Holesaw holes for Drainhole/Plumbing etc.

5) Lightly sand edges and seal with Resin.

6) Sand entire surface preparing for Flowcoat.

7) Aplly Flowcoat.

8) Reinstall Fixings Drainplug etc.

I had to patch the hole from the old bung as it became 30mm higer from insulation, not too hard.

I bought all materials from Acme at eagle farm and cost about $130.

Hope this gives somebody a helpful idea,

Dean.

bdaearth
29-06-2009, 07:49 PM
bloody good job there dean!! did you do anything with the seat lid to make it seal better or insulate it to or do you think the foam of the seat with be enough???

Dean1
29-06-2009, 07:59 PM
bloody good job there dean!! did you do anything with the seat lid to make it seal better or insulate it to or do you think the foam of the seat with be enough??? Thanks mate one of the nicer things youv said too me lately ;D Nah I didnt do anything to the lid its the same as the other side, I think I will put some of my duct flange tape on the underside of the lid might help a bit. I put a valve in the overflow line to hold in the chill. See how she goes this weekend ;)

jtpython
29-06-2009, 08:21 PM
That is a bloody nice jobbie to
Very professional mate
JT

Seahorse
29-06-2009, 08:35 PM
bit better than my esky/live bait project.
but mine works ok, just not as pretty.
i also run a hose for bit of a wash down

Grand_Marlin
29-06-2009, 08:59 PM
Nice work Deano,

It certainly made that area more useable.

Cheers

Pete

fly_1
29-06-2009, 09:18 PM
Thats how many of them came as standard Deano. Both the tournament and the pro sport models. Works well, you just get a bit of water slopping around and alittle comes out from the seat lid.Looks good.

Dean1
30-06-2009, 06:50 AM
Thats how many of them came as standard Deano. Both the tournament and the pro sport models. Works well, you just get a bit of water slopping around and alittle comes out from the seat lid.Looks good. Hey Trent mine came standard with the livebait/storage box but it wasnt insulated. Are you saying that they normally come out insulated??? Yeah I know what you mean about the water splashin out a bit. Ive just insulated the existing box. Cheers.

John Buoy
30-06-2009, 07:00 AM
Nice work Deano ;)
You can also try sikaflexing some plastic or alloy angle
to the top of the box to help diflect the splashing wash
and fit a foam self stick rubber to the underside of the seat lid (Bunnings)
and elastic pull down straps to keep it sealed and weathered ;)

Regards Frank

Mindi
30-06-2009, 08:13 AM
bit better than my esky/live bait project.
but mine works ok, just not as pretty.
i also run a hose for bit of a wash down

Hi Seahorse..I plan something like yours wher did you get the willow 25 litre bin..?

insideout
30-06-2009, 08:41 AM
Hey Trent mine came standard with the livebait/storage box but it wasnt insulated. Are you saying that they normally come out insulated??? Yeah I know what you mean about the water splashin out a bit. Ive just insulated the existing box. Cheers.

Yea mate, the both seatboxes were eskies in the old 2400. I had 1 problem that used to drive me up the wall was when i emptied out the iceboxes, they went onto the floor and out the back (which was normal) ,but the floors on the 2400s trapped every little bit of crap, and was very hard to clean after every outing, I had to get into it with drifter/gurni ect to try to lift the stains, and sometimes it took hours..suppose thats what u get for having a very,very white boat eh...i like the idea of it being plumbed outside like the tournaments and prosports, and believe it should be carried trou to the new ones as well.

Dean1
30-06-2009, 09:02 AM
Yea mate, the both seatboxes were eskies in the old 2400. I had 1 problem that used to drive me up the wall was when i emptied out the iceboxes, they went onto the floor and out the back (which was normal) ,but the floors on the 2400s trapped every little bit of crap, and was very hard to clean after every outing, I had to get into it with drifter/gurni ect to try to lift the stains, and sometimes it took hours..suppose thats what u get for having a very,very white boat eh...i like the idea of it being plumbed outside like the tournaments and prosports, and believe it should be carried trou to the new ones as well. Ye mate Ive thought about turning the whole thing into another esky, like the one under my drivers side. I like the way the 2400's are like that but id lose my livebait or end up with a 230 litre livebait tank ;D Ive never had too much trouble cleaning the floor, I hose out the inside of esky floor at the same time so nothing drys there. They do spoil you as I know how annoying it can be when eskys slide all over the place. Cheers.

Seahorse
30-06-2009, 06:04 PM
mindi.
got esky at kmart i think.

Runamuck
01-07-2009, 09:19 AM
Thanks...this has now given me an idea;D