PDA

View Full Version : Breaksea Bust Ups! & Fraser Muddies

Spot82
29-06-2009, 05:17 PM
After the weather not playing the game last week and it looking like a pearler for last Friday it was decided to organise a trip over breaksea spit. Arrived in Hervey Bay on thurs arvo and got the boat ready and had a a couple of hours sleep before leaving for the harbour at 3.30am.

Exited the harbour at 3am and started on the jpurney north, stopped off at a livie spot near rooneys where we can get yakkas in the dark and proceeded to get some good livies although you only get them one at a time a night so it makes for an arduous process. Continued on and made it to the 4 mile crossing around 6.45am with two other boats about to cross as well. Bit of swell but the crossing was one of the best i have done across any bar, getting out the other side we were greated with a 1-2m swell and water which resembled an oil slick! :D

Fished about 6 or 7 different marks with most only firing for very short periods or on very small parts of the drifts. First mark resulted in many bust ups so after i got dusted twice on 80lb braid with 120lb leader the deckwinch came out. Got some nice spangles, parrot and red throats when you could get through the ambos and kingies on this particular bombie. One of my ambos was followed up by a sizable shark which not much later took the tal end of Troy's Spangle as pictured below, although what was left still would have gone atleast 4kg! Troy was mucking around when his rod had a few bumps so i grab it and hook the fish, start winding but it just feels like a dead weight with the boys giving me crap about having a big piece of bottom, anyway we finally see colour, shark, but it is coming straight up in the water coloumn as if it was dead or asleep, no fight at all, got some pics of this beast which was a solid 3.5-4m specimen and then all of a sudden mr teeth decides to wake up and disappear back to the deep busting off in the process!

Fished some other spots with variety of reefies being landed but none of the reds we were after. We would have easily lost 30 good fish for the day with lost of bust ups on good fish. One in particular i had a butterflied hussar down on the winch and had a solid fish nearly to the boat, most likely a red given the bait and the country and fact we have got reds there before only to have troy hook onto a kingy which went around my line and troy being a genius not letting his braid go slack let it cut through the 200lb pound mono like a hot knife through butter, little to say he kept getting reminded about that for the rest of the trip! :P

Made it back to Urangan at 7.15pm well and truely buggered after a very long day, so glad it was like a sheet of glass all trip and could easily cruise on 50kph.

Parents had also went and put the pots in over at fraser in one of the creeks on friday morning, checked them saturday and sunday and ended up with 20 monster muddies to top off the weekend :D

Some pics below

Anthony

skipalong
29-06-2009, 05:35 PM
top going anthony lovely bag of fish, i bet you were pissed with the shark taking up fishing time.

justin

rosco1974
29-06-2009, 05:36 PM
mate great mix on the fish and some cracker looking muddies there, the one in the front looks a big crab..cheers rosco

-spiro-
29-06-2009, 05:41 PM
Fish and crab---what a good feast

Spot82
29-06-2009, 05:47 PM
top going anthony lovely bag of fish, i bet you were pissed with the shark taking up fishing time.

justin

Seriously got it to the boat in about 5mins, tell you though my back was killing after pulling that much dead weight up out of 60m of water!!! :'( It did not fight one bit, not even a kick of the tail, was quite surreal when it came to the boat.

The hose nozel gives you an idea of the size of the muddies, most of them are very decent size! the one at the back is legal and looks well under compared to the others :) Had a big feast of muddies, prawns and scallops on sunday for lunch followed by muddy sangas for lunch today! Wonder what the rich ppl are eating :P

jtpython
29-06-2009, 06:11 PM
Water looks beautiful and clear guys. Great fishing still the same thou hey
JT

Suzuki RipTide
30-06-2009, 06:12 AM
Ripper feed of muddies mate haven't seen crabs like that in ages. Sweet feed of fish to go with it.

geeb
30-06-2009, 09:12 AM
Great report - fine catch - what a nice feed of muddies - I have been trying to take my parents crabbing but they wont get in the pots........Geeb

Spot82
30-06-2009, 11:37 AM
Haha Geeb you funny bastard!

Water was near perfect, it wasso hard to get photos cause it was slightly overcast and the water was like an oil slick and reflecting so much light.

Now just need to find those reds!

Reefmaster
30-06-2009, 11:59 AM
Good to see you getting a few Anthony with great conditions also. Pitty about the reds mate but sooner or later you will get among them. Going by the species you mentioned you must have been fishing some very rough country. Did you try fishing some smaller reefs? How was the current?

Greg

Dean1
30-06-2009, 05:21 PM
Mate ive been getting smashed up just the same as you up at 1770. 150lb wont stop em and ive been lead to believe they are sleeper sharks.

A mate of mine used to pro fish off frazer years ago and reckons the only thing that will stop em is wire trace a metre long coz they take you to the bottom and rolll till they bust you off. And they are huge!!

Ive pulled some leopard sharks up there lately about say 50kg but those other things must be in the 100's. A locked up Reefqueen doesnt even look like stoppin them. One would like to believe they are huge reds tho! ;D

Spot82
30-06-2009, 06:11 PM
Good to see you getting a few Anthony with great conditions also. Pitty about the reds mate but sooner or later you will get among them. Going by the species you mentioned you must have been fishing some very rough country. Did you try fishing some smaller reefs? How was the current?

Greg

Barely any current but we were fishing within 10km of breaksea spit for the day, didn't venture out wider. Country wasn't all that rough, mainly plateau type rises in the bottom which come from 50-55m up to 35-45m.

That is really only the first time i have fished the area in our boat so didn't have many marks to check out, I know what you mean greg but don't have any marks for the rubbly stuff at the moment :( Keep exploring i guess...

Spot82
30-06-2009, 06:14 PM
Mate ive been getting smashed up just the same as you up at 1770. 150lb wont stop em and ive been lead to believe they are sleeper sharks.

A mate of mine used to pro fish off frazer years ago and reckons the only thing that will stop em is wire trace a metre long coz they take you to the bottom and rolll till they bust you off. And they are huge!!

Ive pulled some leopard sharks up there lately about say 50kg but those other things must be in the 100's. A locked up Reefqueen doesnt even look like stoppin them. One would like to believe they are huge reds tho! ;D

We were getting the fish off the bottom but line was rubbing through between the snell rigs, breaking at knots, just clean breaking, and a few times fish getting us to the bottom again. As well as that the fight is very different to any shark i have ever caught, but hey who knows, could be anything really.....

Dean1
30-06-2009, 07:12 PM
We were getting the fish off the bottom but line was rubbing through between the snell rigs, breaking at knots, just clean breaking, and a few times fish getting us to the bottom again. As well as that the fight is very different to any shark i have ever caught, but hey who knows, could be anything really..... Ye mate some of them youd get say say 3 metres up some half way up then theyd hammer ya. Even just to get a look at them would be good. Some fish arent meant to come to the surface. Sure keeps you interested!!

bondy99
02-07-2009, 10:30 PM
Good one. I'd gladly chip in towards fuel if someone can offer me a fishing trip out there.

Peter

lethal098
03-07-2009, 11:15 AM
gotta be happy with a catch like that, fresh fish and muddies yeah ha. well done Cheers Lee

Spot82
05-07-2009, 07:52 PM
Good one. I'd gladly chip in towards fuel if someone can offer me a fishing trip out there.

Peter

Mate if I ever have a spot with a bit of notice I'll let you know via PM.

Mmmm have missed the muddy taste, has been nearly 12 months since having a feed of them! Dunno which is better red emps or muddies :P

bondy99
05-07-2009, 11:15 PM
Mate if I ever have a spot with a bit of notice I'll let you know via PM.

Mmmm have missed the muddy taste, has been nearly 12 months since having a feed of them! Dunno which is better red emps or muddies :P

G'day Spot,

No worries, are these available year round or just a few months of the year?

I'll send you a pm with my contact number probably Tuesday.

Peter.

Spot82
06-07-2009, 01:48 PM
Are what available year round? Best reef fishing is typically during the cooler months, weather also tends to be better...

bondy99
08-07-2009, 02:10 PM
Are what available year round? Best reef fishing is typically during the cooler months, weather also tends to be better...

Pm sent

Where are you located? Hervey Bay or in Brisbane?