PDA

View Full Version : Solid arvo/night off Cairns

chop duster
28-06-2009, 06:58 PM
After F-ing around with the sterio all Saturday morning, we finally set off at around 3pm with six on board.
Blowing about 15 knots from the north which I thought was the end of our chances of a good haul (i hate northerlies).
Hit up a spot that has been producing of late, although found it hard to anchor on the spot due to a rippa current and an in-experienced deckie.....
Lines went in, and not too long after the fish started coming aboard, between the multiple tangles (bloody newbies and current just don't mix i tell you).
The nannies were on the chew although the quality just wasn't quite there. Keepers!, but were going to be a pain in the ass to fillet if we eventually got onto some decent ones. So after a half a dozen average fish were thown in the box, we decided to do a slight move.
Just after dark the quality picked up. The reef jacks were on the chew. Actually heard some bloke over the radio asking the difference between a jack and a chinaman:-X .
I managed a couple of decent nannies and a solid red, then retired the rod to give the newbies a bit of a hand.
The current seemed to be picking up as the night went on, we had a good bag and some bloody sore arms, so decided to head for home around 10pm.

End result:

5 reef jack (or were they chinaman?)
19 large mouth nannies
2 red emporer
stupid amount of throwbacks and only one shark for the night:oBit more than we ussually take home although don't ussually fish 4 newbies with empty freezers.

Is Don Is GOOD
28-06-2009, 09:31 PM
Nice catch bloko, i miss cairns and that report was just rubbing it in ;D

Good report mate, cheers Don.

Pazz01
29-06-2009, 08:18 AM
Hey Chop Duster

Nice catch there. Was it pretty lumpy out there on during the night? What areas did you fish?

The weather came up yesterday when we were out. Got punished on the was home.

Pazz

chop duster
29-06-2009, 10:51 AM
Pazz,
Good 15 knots of northerly for mast of the arvo and into the night. Luckily the current was north to south with the breeze, otherwise the sea might have been a little worse, and would have been a nightmare at anchor.
Looks as though the souterlies kicked in a little earlier than BOM thought yesterday, prob caught a fair few people out too.
We were out in Trinty Opening again, in about 60m of water. Didn't have to really move all arvo.
How did you go?

Wahoo
29-06-2009, 11:21 AM
good stuff Chop, you guys did alot better than us, have you guys ever used a down rigger with a deep dive lure??

Daz

Pazz01
29-06-2009, 11:22 AM
Yeah i think the change came through stronger than expected and definately caught a lot out I think. I heard it was pretty bumpy out wide, those northerly's are bad when they are at 15 knots. I reckon they are equivalent of a 20 knot south-easter. Really uncomfortable.

We did pretty well, bagged out on trout and picked up a few red throat and a few big mouth out in the deep water and was on the way home by 12pm.

Pazz

chop duster
29-06-2009, 11:48 AM
Pazz, good stuff with the trout.

Daz, don't have a downrigger. We regularly use a paravane (poor mans downrigger). Haven't used a hard bodies on it, usually a swimming gar or a woghead. When u know there are mackies around and they won't take the surface lures or baits, the paravane can really change things.
Seen in your report about the hoo's. Unlucky hey!. Were you out at linden bank or jenny louise ?

Wahoo
29-06-2009, 08:40 PM
Pazz, good stuff with the trout.

Daz, don't have a downrigger. We regularly use a paravane (poor mans downrigger). Haven't used a hard bodies on it, usually a swimming gar or a woghead. When u know there are mackies around and they won't take the surface lures or baits, the paravane can really change things.
Seen in your report about the hoo's. Unlucky hey!. Were you out at linden bank or jenny louise ?

hey Chop, started top of JL and worked our way up to LB, and pissed around that area than back down again, some great grounds we came across

Daz

chop duster
29-06-2009, 10:14 PM
geesus you blokes must of covered some ground! To tell you the truth we haven't had that much luck with the trout on those outer reefs (nicholas onyx etc..), some people do tho. That current would of been a PITA out on the shelf the other day too.