PDA

View Full Version : Bribie to Cape Moreton

seastorm
27-06-2009, 09:46 PM
Looking to do my first trip from Bribie to the cape (seems to be the shortest distance), looking at the maps there dosn't seem to be a marked channel, there seem to be a few banks along the way. Is the water deep enough to go straight across, if not what is the suggested way across?

captain rednut
27-06-2009, 09:54 PM
hi seastorm it is deep enough to go straight through to the cape! but if theres some swell running the banks can break and be dangerous the safest passage is to head straight to bulwer/combie point and then stay in close to the beach and follow the beach around to the cape, the banks should be avoided in 2mtr swell plus, cheers jim

darkside
27-06-2009, 10:12 PM
Captain Rednuts nailed it. I tend to head about 7 ks down the front of Bribie following the beacons, then turn right , that way i miss the banks and most of the "washing machine" ,about 25ks to Bulwer then sit about a km off the beach and follow it around to the Cape.

seastorm
27-06-2009, 10:23 PM
Captian rednut and darkside
Just looking on the c map planner looks like you go north of gilligans island then the next mark is just north of the M4 beacon then onto Bulwer is this correct? What is the boat ramp like at bribie and is the car ok overnight?

trueblue
27-06-2009, 10:23 PM
Kianga channel - look it up on the chart

darkside
27-06-2009, 10:30 PM
Seastorm , thats pretty much it , i go about 7 ks down the front of Bribie , that well and truly misses Gilligans and you turn right when you see the water a bit smoother and follow it straight across.
Spinnaker seems ok to leave your car , i have never had a problem , but maybe iv'e been lucky.

seastorm
27-06-2009, 10:34 PM
look like Kianga channel runs from Comboyuro point to the cape nowhere near Bribie ( that is looking at it on the C Map Planner)

BR65
28-06-2009, 07:30 AM
Ramp at Bribie (Spinnaker Sound) is a 4 lane concrete, good slope, with plenty of sand beach each side to bank the boat.
The car park is well lit, but like all ramp car parks, lights dont stop idiots, dont leave anything of value in your car/in sight.
You'll be right with the run accross, like the boys said, head for Bulwer, then hug the shore line about a KM out up to the cape.

Bowser
28-06-2009, 09:56 AM
In the spirit of a couple of other threads here on boat safety and captain's knowledge, I would suggest that you first find someone to go with, either as a two boat trip or an experienced deckie. Also, given your apparant lack of knowledge of the area, forget the overnight trip and work out what is what in the daylight for a couple of trips, by then you will also have sussed out the boat ramps security as well.

predator
28-06-2009, 10:32 AM
Seastorm,

I leave from Scarborough as there is less driving time back from Bribie when ya tired.. Its about 8ks longer in the boat but heaps shorter in the car going home..

Cheer

indian man
28-06-2009, 10:32 AM
In the spirit of a couple of other threads here on boat safety and captain's knowledge, I would suggest that you first find someone to go with, either as a two boat trip or an experienced deckie. Also, given your apparant lack of knowledge of the area, forget the overnight trip and work out what is what in the daylight for a couple of trips, by then you will also have sussed out the boat ramps security as well.
great advice

Angla
28-06-2009, 10:57 AM
I think Predator has the right idea for a mid to high tide trip and even a low tide trip in glass conditions. My alternate route from Scarborough is to go to the Pearl Channel and cut across the remaining sand bars and when it is terrible then i would use the Pearl Channel the turn to starboard down the Main Channel and then another turn to port and up the East Channel. This would be the deep water alternative. Then the drive there and home is easier too as said earlier.

Cheers
Chris

lippa
28-06-2009, 02:06 PM
Seastorm,

I leave from Scarborough as there is less driving time back from Bribie when ya tired.. Its about 8ks longer in the boat but heaps shorter in the car going home..

Cheer

i'm the opposite, i'd rather sit in comfort in the prado, then bash that last 8 k's in typical moreton bay slop. each to there own.;D

seastorm
28-06-2009, 02:59 PM
Thanks for all the advice as some of you have jumped to conclusions I will tell you the full story the trip is planned for two or three boats to go the guys that are going all have experience in the area, we would usually leave from nudgee boat ramp but thought that it is not the safest place to leave the car overnight and it looks like a shorter trip is from bribie. The trip will be planned to cross the bay in the day time and on the high tide and return on the high tide in daylight.

The-easyrider
28-06-2009, 04:06 PM
You will have no problem on a high tide running straight across and you can leave your car and trailer in the van park at spinnaker for $5 overnight

Skusto
28-06-2009, 04:44 PM
Thanks for all the advice as some of you have jumped to conclusions I will tell you the full story the trip is planned for two or three boats to go the guys that are going all have experience in the area, we would usually leave from nudgee boat ramp but thought that it is not the safest place to leave the car overnight and it looks like a shorter trip is from bribie. The trip will be planned to cross the bay in the day time and on the high tide and return on the high tide in daylight.

to be honest scarbrough car park is quite good left the car overnight there a few times. and its not to much further then bribie?

finding_time
28-06-2009, 05:52 PM
Seastorm,

Cheer

Spot on!!!;) ;) ;) I'll take the 8km's on water anyday over the 35min extra in the car, and thats if the traffic is good!!

ian

tenzing
28-06-2009, 09:11 PM
Spot on!!!;) ;) ;) I'll take the 8km's on water anyday over the 35min extra in the car, and thats if the traffic is good!!

ian
Same here.
Safe carpark, good ramp, and honestly not that much further on the water,(NO TRAFFIC).
Straight over on the high water, but honestly in low water some of those banks are a desert. How you guys shoot straight over them.
Brendan

finding_time
28-06-2009, 09:48 PM
i'm the opposite, i'd rather sit in comfort in the prado, then bash that last 8 k's in typical moreton bay slop. each to there own.;D

Lippa Lippa Lippa!!!! You have soooo put your foot in it this time!!!!;) Are you ready here it comes!;D .................................................. ................................
.................................................. .................................................. ....................
.................................................. .................................................. .....................
.................................................. .................................................. .....................

Get a cat mate and that 8 km will be pure heaven compared to that tin can you own mate!!!!!;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

lippa
28-06-2009, 10:11 PM
yeah, i walked into that, but still even if i owned a awesome 5.2 kc, i'd still go to spinaker!

hungry6
29-06-2009, 06:50 PM
The safest, maybe abit longer is to head straight out east and head up to the cape as per capt. rednut suggested, this is the exact rout the VMR takes most of the time. if, your not sure of the various bank dont do it in the dark, nothing worst than cruising alog and one decide to pops up and your are force to gun it and hope for the best. But in saying that cruising along the various bankon a quiet day is certain eye candy with it various hades of blue and uncanny clear water.

MJBARTZY
05-07-2009, 09:13 PM
you need to remove ya big lump of a cabin so the elements can rejuvinate your sole and give you a new direction in life!

seastorm
09-07-2009, 06:38 AM
Hey Steve when you say elements is that one or two heater elements inside the cabin to keep me warm. I think we might use your boat in summer and mine in winter