PDA

View Full Version : Gelcoat or Flowcoat for minor repair?

Splash
27-06-2009, 07:27 PM
The front bow roller has disintegrated and has resulted in the metal bracket digging into the hull - but not right through.

Should i use gelcoat or flowcoat for this application??

Difference between the 2?

Also, I have holes in different parts of the hull where I have drilled through with intention of mounting items onto hull. What should I use for this application to fill and end up with a good finish?

SPlash

Horse
27-06-2009, 07:31 PM
I would use flow coat on the bow repairs as it is based on waxed resin and will go off on the surface. Gel coat is unwaxed and is air inhibited. It will go off against a mold but stays a bit tacky if exposed to air

Holes can be filled with flowcoat if they are small or seal off the outside and use gel coat on them and glass if its a major repair. This is best left to someone who knows what they are doing as it can be involved and require releasing agents etc

TJ Bear
27-06-2009, 07:45 PM
If you post a pic it will be easier to give accurate advice. Small cosmetic repair flow coat should be fine or gel coat with 3% wax and styrene added(no more than 3%).

Splash
27-06-2009, 09:06 PM
Thanks.

Do i need to use a catalyst for the flow coat?

Splash

TJ Bear
27-06-2009, 10:26 PM
Yes you need to catalyse the flow coat. 2% MEKP same as poly resin or gel coat.

snodger 08
29-06-2009, 03:07 PM
Hi splash,
these videos on youtube may help you a bit. Found them very handy when repairing small scrapes on the gelcoat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWEE6SFUdpg&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en-8SbhdF_k&feature=related
They are product based instructional videos, but they gave me a good idea of how to go about it.
Cheers
Steve

snodger 08
29-06-2009, 03:08 PM
Darn I just tried to past the links.....
Steve

Splash
29-06-2009, 03:10 PM
thanks guys!

Noelm
29-06-2009, 03:21 PM
for small holes that have been drilled and no longer needed, I found that white putty/fibreglass stuff to be great, as long as your boat is white of course! it is easy to work with and fills small holes as easy as pie.

Blackened
29-06-2009, 03:31 PM
for small holes that have been drilled and no longer needed, I found that white putty/fibreglass stuff to be great, as long as your boat is white of course! it is easy to work with and fills small holes as easy as pie.

G'day

Yes it is easy to use. however it will not blend in at all, as it's a completely different material to the substrate.

Dave

Splash
29-06-2009, 04:10 PM
for the drilled holes then, should i still use the flowcoat then?

Splash

Blackened
29-06-2009, 04:13 PM
for the drilled holes then, should i still use the flowcoat then?

Splash

Yes, but only if you want a finish that will be difficult to spot the repair.

Dave