PDA

View Full Version : Same applies to Offshore

Scalem
27-06-2009, 04:40 PM
Finally!!!!:D:D

For the 2nd time I had planned an offshore trip, the weather seemed to be turning nasty so I rang AF mate "For Steve" and called the trip off.>:( We were planning to round up some tailor just out of the southport seaway with pilchards and slugs in my Yalta.

So when I got up this morning, lazy hours of 8.30am I decided to look at the weather charts again, only to find that things had turned around, and there was a small window of opportunity to have a quick flick around. So I ring For Steve who decided he had made the most of the night before, crawling into bed at some ungodly hour..... Still in Bed at 9am??::) Oh well, no time to get the pillies off him, or even time for him to get out of his Pyjamas, I'm off by 9.15am for a solo, boat in tow, and loaded with ... Umn.... my usual tackle store worth of soft plastics and gear I normally use in Moreton Bay.

Whenever wind is from the west, it usually means flat seas, which it certainly was as this photo shows.
http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp223/Scalem/101_6190.jpg

I seemed to be racing around the boat a bit, wanting to get setup before the predicted strong winds kicked in. At the 1st hint of 25 knots I was planning to head in quickly. But 6 - 8 knots light and variable was the announcement on the radio, things could not be more perfect .... Except i was hoping for a nice fish to blood the new Yalta.

Around the 4th drift and when I had already caught 3 x up to 40cm dinnerplate size snaps , this larger specimen played my 20lb line right down to the backing.

http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp223/Scalem/101_6191.jpg
http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp223/Scalem/101B6170.jpg
Back home by 3.00pm and used a cup of fuel, things could not be better in my 1st ever offshore trip in the triple 5.

Scalem

skipalong
27-06-2009, 04:50 PM
nice snapp for the first outing

outwide1
27-06-2009, 05:04 PM
Welldone mate,good outcome for a quicky.What soft plastic did you score it on?

rosco1974
27-06-2009, 05:16 PM
nice fish mate .....looks like the weather will be ok down there again in the mornin...cheers rosco

Scalem
27-06-2009, 06:08 PM
Welldone mate,good outcome for a quicky.What soft plastic did you score it on?

A plastic I have had for months. They seemed to steer away from the Nuke Chook 7" so because I had look through my collection for offshore that would fit a 7/0 1 oz Jighead, I found these

Called a live Swim'n Slug by LAke Fork in the USA they have an unusual design with "slots" 2/3rd the way along the body for extra swim appeal ..... hope the photos show enough detail
http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp223/Scalem/101_6194.jpg
http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp223/Scalem/101_6195.jpg

Scalem

rosco1974
27-06-2009, 06:17 PM
what was the current like down there...prob hit the 24's in the mornin
cheers

-spiro-
27-06-2009, 06:17 PM
Thats a nice looking plastic.
Congrats on the snapper

jtpython
27-06-2009, 06:32 PM
That is a nice snapper too blood the boat. Westerly got smashing in here today to will go for a flick and a spear tomorrow . Spend another day at home with wife and kids i'll kill them
LOL
JT

Scalem
27-06-2009, 07:25 PM
what was the current like down there...prob hit the 24's in the mornin
cheers

Rosco the current wasn't too bad but i forgot to look how quick I was drifting according to GPS. It was difficult staying connected to the bottom with 1 oz so i threw out the sea anchor which seemed to help

Scalem

Fish_gutz
27-06-2009, 08:11 PM
Bizzare looking plastics scalem but they must work! well done on getting the window of opportunity, things looked ugly till the late call from the weather guru`s.
Andrew

gawby
27-06-2009, 08:38 PM
Hi Brian,
A quick fish would have been good but
had to work on the truck and back to work.
A quality fish to blood the yalta with.
How are you finding the boat.
I just had 4 days fishing off gladstone
and had 2 good days and 2 bad days of sea.
My boat handled it realy well though.
Graeme

Frank OO
27-06-2009, 08:52 PM
Hi Brian,

Well you have finally done it. The fish is fine and you have caught plent of fish like it before and no doubt will catch better ones in the future.

The thing you would be most excited about is actually getting out there in your own brand new Off Shore Rig Triple 5. Mate I am excited for you.

It is always a bit scary going out for the first time as Captain of your own boat and it just gets better and better from here on.

Congratulations Brian... Well done.. You have waited long enough.

Frank OO

Scalem
27-06-2009, 09:03 PM
Hi Brian,
A quick fish would have been good but
had to work on the truck and back to work.
A quality fish to blood the yalta with.
How are you finding the boat.
I just had 4 days fishing off gladstone
and had 2 good days and 2 bad days of sea.
My boat handled it realy well though.
Graeme

Hi Graeme,

I nearly rang you but then got distracted and forgot. Mate the possibilities are endless for me now, I am stoked to have got onto such quality on the 1st Offshore trip and so close to home, I can't imagine going to Glastone like you did, that would be awesome! Did you post anything about the trip? I'll have a look for it.

The boat ... what can I say, fan freakin tastic!! Gets an obsession almost when you think you have to work your butt off just to make sure you keep the boat - nothing about providing for the family and keeping financially secure for them;D;D

Got to hook up mate. My deckie that missed out wants a similar trip REAL BAD! So tell me when you are planning anything and see if the Yaltas can join forces;)
Scalem

Hi Brian,

Well you have finally done it. The fish is fine and you have caught plent of fish like it before and no doubt will catch better ones in the future.

The thing you would be most excited about is actually getting out there in your own brand new Off Shore Rig Triple 5. Mate I am excited for you.

It is always a bit scary going out for the first time as Captain of your own boat and it just gets better and better from here on.

Congratulations Brian... Well done.. You have waited long enough.

Frank OO

Thanks Frank

Without a doubt your tuition over the years has had a big part , for which I can't thank you enough. Good times ahead and see if I can actually coordinate being on the water the same time as you. I'm ready for the cape and shallow tempest - still too chicken of south passage without doing a bar crossing course with Bill Corten. Bill if you read this, send me a PM and we will arrange;)

Scalem

outwide1
28-06-2009, 10:06 AM
Thanks for your detailed reply scalem.I thought you were going to say you got him on a nuclear chicken as it seems to be the most popular lure.Ive always been a bait man myself but now have a large range of plastics to try just have to use them.Happen to be a good mate of bills and his tuition is second to none,the things he will have you doing on that bar will prepare you for anything.He is booked solid most of the time,give him a call and he will surely book you in.Well worth doing!!!!

Fisher4life
28-06-2009, 12:47 PM
Excellent scalem.

Good to see you've finally got the boat offshore and landed a very nice snap, and to be doing solo on your first ever trip is quite brave.

Cheers
Josh

dogsbody
28-06-2009, 03:18 PM
Good blooding size that one Brian. Must be a good feeling to finally get out there.

Dave

ffejsmada
28-06-2009, 03:40 PM
- still too chicken of south passage without doing a bar crossing course with Bill Corten. Bill if you read this, send me a PM and we will arrange;)

Scalem

Congrats on your first trip out Scalem and very nice snap.

What happens if Bill doesn't read this and send you a PM???? Will you be chicken forever???

Cheers, Jeff.

Scalem
28-06-2009, 04:19 PM
Good blooding size that one Brian. Must be a good feeling to finally get out there.

Dave

Hi Dave
It's not a jeep thing so I know you'd understand. Awesome feeling!:o

Congrats on your first trip out Scalem and very nice snap.

What happens if Bill doesn't read this and send you a PM???? Will you be chicken forever???

Cheers, Jeff.

I guess I procrastinate a bit longer and find other ways to spend money.... ;DEasy enough to do. But it has to happen, my other half told me that is the condition of going through south passage - Barred from crossing until I do a course. Fair enough!

Scalem

Poodroo
28-06-2009, 08:39 PM
Awesome fish Bro. I should have been there right? just as well you got out there finally and had a decent trip. I was beginning not only to feel your frustrations but hear them whenever you had the time but couldn't head out because of the weather or the weather was good but you had other family commitments. Well done. We had better organize another trip like that soon and I will volunteer my deckie services. *Wink Wink!!!!*

Poodroo

Poodroo

Scalem
29-06-2009, 06:55 AM
Awesome fish Bro. I should have been there right? just as well you got out there finally and had a decent trip. I was beginning not only to feel your frustrations but hear them whenever you had the time but couldn't head out because of the weather or the weather was good but you had other family commitments. Well done. We had better organize another trip like that soon and I will volunteer my deckie services. *Wink Wink!!!!*

Poodroo

Poodroo

Spoiled brat that I am, fancy having invested in an offshore capable boat and not get the chance to use it offshore!!!::) But it's not just the boat I'm happy with, but the technique I'd learned from Frankoo ( and practiced it in the bay over the years) whenever I got the chance to deckie on his boat offshore .....which has been a long time since my last outing with him for similar reasons - lining up good weather without family or social committments. So that's all a thing of the past, we'll get the chance again soon. Onwards and upwards!!

Scalem

For Steve
29-06-2009, 10:26 AM
The first time in years I have a late night and sleep in :zzz:, and look what I miss out on. :bigcry:

Good on ya mate for getting out there especially on a solo mission and finding quality fish on your first go. :thumbsup:

Looking forward to the next time.

Brad

Scalem
29-06-2009, 12:48 PM
Looks like we will need to do 3 up next trip ::);D;D;D

Bring your DVD's and player with you Brad and you can have the cabin to yourself;D;D

Scalem

Chris Ryan
30-06-2009, 09:33 PM
Fantastic job mate. Well done!!

Cheers,
Chris

Scalem
01-07-2009, 12:55 PM
Fantastic job mate. Well done!!

Cheers,
Chris

Thanks Chris

Might not be so easy to do in a few years:'( I know you know that all too well!

Scalem

nickstock
02-07-2009, 01:08 PM
Good to hear mate!

A top boat and a top fish to blood it!

Nick