PDA

View Full Version : what size motor and which 1

Mick Choice
27-06-2009, 10:39 AM
Which new motor and what size?

I am about to replace my 1999 130 yammies on my 1990 6.2 kevlacat tournament with either 130 etecs or 140 suzuki 4 strokes, i cant find a plate on the boat to tell me what the h/p rating is either. Does anybody know? also what thoughts are out there on the 2 engines i have narrowed it down to?

Jabba_
27-06-2009, 04:44 PM
Both are very good engines, both are clean engines, and both will return good fuel economy.. Out off those two motor's I would go the 130 E-tec as there proving to be a rocket off a motor...

Performance wise, the E-tec 130 will out run the 140 Suzuki. The E-tec 130 is a strong motor, it's also 20kg lighter then the 140 Suzuki's dry weight.. But on a 6.2KC I don't think 50kg off extra weight on the transom is going to make a difference...
If you go the E-tec I would go with BRP's Rebel prop. Big blade area and diameter will give you that extra thrust the cats need.

The fuel economy difference between the two will depend on how you drive it... If your bottom bashing most off the year the Suzuki will be the fuel miserly motors.. However if you troll a lot, the E-tec is the go.. Also you won't get any extra exhaust smell from the E-tec then you do from a 4st. The E-tec does smell different to a 4st, but it is not stronger. Both 2st and 4st burn fossil fuel, and both have fumes...

Personally for me I would chose the motor that will fit into your fishing requirements, bottom bashing or trolling, and which dealer will provide the better after sales support

Don't listen to the scare mongers, there full off shit..

Chimo
27-06-2009, 05:06 PM
Friend has two 140 Suzuki's and they feel really sluggish off the mark but go OK once you get some speed up.

Seem to remember reading (on here somewhere I think) that they are really only 125 or so HP so that could explain it.

If you can hang 150 Suzukis on the back they would be a different kettle of fish to the 140s

You probably should be comparing the 130 Etecs with the 150 Suzi to be getting a fair comparison IMHO

Plus what you put on also depends on your service options too.

Cheers
Chimo

samson
27-06-2009, 05:50 PM
Just had a similer decission to make myself i've already owned four etecs on my boat's that i've used for local work and currently own a 150 etec but i'm not all that impressed with it's economy and i've nearly gone through most of a 44 gallon drum of oil in 800 hrs the last 6 months but the service intervals suit me well when clocking up the hours quick for local work.

But i'm about to pick up a 8m plate boat i've been getting built and have decided to put two 150 yamaha's which i'm hoping will increase my range but the decision was at a cost as i could have got the 150 etec's for over $10000 cheaper, so i hope i have made the right call, only time will tell though but i know this much since owning etec's i've had many a many warranty fixes and from reputable mates i trust that have dealt with etec's and now deal with yamaha's they said they never see any warranty problem's on yamaha's at all yet etec's came in weekly with problems.

In saying that evirude looks after us commercial guy's and for local work i'll probably stay with etec but for the big boat and more range i think i'll give these 4 strokes a good nudge and see how they go, as far as suzuki's i've seen mates with some isssues but they seem a sound engine so i guess way up cost,range and flip a coin.

Cheers samson

Mick Choice
27-06-2009, 06:15 PM
samson, thanks for the reply, i 2 looked at yamaha but they are dearer by $1500 and thats for 115's not 140's and they wont budge on price. i have heard a few bad things bout the etec's re being at the shop a fair bit? but at ths stage i think the suzi's will get the nod if they arent 2 big for the cat. cheers

Mick Choice
27-06-2009, 06:18 PM
Chimo, Thanks for that i did hear that they were a bit sluggish off the bottom 2, i think 150's might be overpowering her and i dont think it is rated that high? but it would be sweet to have the cubes, cheers.

Mick Choice
27-06-2009, 06:22 PM
Jabba, cheers for that teh majority of our fishing is bottom bashing at the reef and bugger all trolling, and plenty of moving around, i just need to find out the rating for the cat and that should also make the decision easier if the suzi's are a bit big the 115 yamaha's are 1500 dearer than the 140 and etec's though.